Whose going to GenCon!?!

By Narsil0420, in Player community

Cool, yeah I'm very free Saturday and am also doing the Fellowship event Sunday

Hey folks,

would it be a good idea to pick a specific location for people to meet if they want to play casual LOTR games? I was thinking that would make it easier to know that if I go to X location i will most likely meet others who want to play LOTR.

Or is it too hard to claim a specific spot since there's so many people at the tables?

On a more basic note, where is the casual play area?

How about you guys all go there wearing propellor hats?

That way you'll intstantly know who's LFG to play some LotR LCG in the mob.

Ha ha ha...

In response to Sean,

Man, so many events on Friday!!! I'm really glad that I'm waiting till Sunday for the Fellowship Event otherwise I think my head would explode. Maybe in the future you guys can try to space these events out a bit. As it is, Friday is going to be up there in the competition for favorite days in my life.

I just listened to the Podcast on Keeping Count and I'm really excited about it. It was a really smart idea to not try and change the coop aspect of the game. I didn't get tickets but I'm looking forward to crashing, thanks for letting us know that's ok.

-Matthew Elias

Yes, Friday is absolutely cray-cray. But when a local bar offers one a free back room, one doesn't turn it down because one expects to be a little tired, does one? ;)

No sir!

Do you have to be over 21 to come to the Friday evening event?

Yep!

Definitely looking forward to all the Friday events.

I've got two decks, Stewards Fear, and Foundations of Stone with me. (Unfortunately had to balance LOTR cards with other lcg stuff.)

We're here and it's amazing!

I didn't see much of Lord of the Rings being played at Gen Con. There was one demo table. The staff didn't know when/where the fellowship event was going to be at. I didn't have a deck at all being a new player. I just wanted to go there to watch.

Yeah it was a big place with very few LotR pick up games. I was in in Hall E, blue section most of the time. I set up a Skype Group (linked above) but very few people used it. I think Thrones 2nd Ed was a bigger draw for a lot of folks.

Was this your first GenCon? Not meaning any criticism, but the formal events were listed in the program and on the GenCon website. I was monitoring the Skype channel linked above, and the Path of Need Skype channel. And I was checking the forums periodically.

I'm really sorry we missed you. There are a couple of facebook groups for arranging games on OCTGN, or you could just pop in there and look for me, if you're interested.

Was this your first GenCon? Not meaning any criticism, but the formal events were listed in the program and on the GenCon website. I was monitoring the Skype channel linked above, and the Path of Need Skype channel. And I was checking the forums periodically.

I'm really sorry we missed you. There are a couple of facebook groups for arranging games on OCTGN, or you could just pop in there and look for me, if you're interested.

Yes, it was my first GenCon, and it was so much fun! There was so much to see and do that It was overwhelming. It took me a while to figure out how to get in on events. I'm sorry that I missed you! I am very new to LOTR:TCG and didn't even have a Fellowship deck to play with.

They were pushing Star Wars, which looked really good. I can understand why FF was trying to push that title with the movie comeing out later this year.

I hope you had fun! I'll have better idea how to plan my time out better next year. ;)

EDIT: Forgot to ask, did anyone pick up the 2015 GenCon scenario or played it? I asked if I could buy it, but they didn't have any for sale.

Edited by pinkfae

Yea I was in the Sunday Fellowship event. It was a really brutal quest, but a lot of fun. Introduced the "Discover" keyword. Whenever a location became the active location, you had to look at the top X cards from the encounter deck (X being whatever value was printed on the location). If a Loot Objective card was found, it was attached to the active location to be obtained after you explore it. If any cards with the Hazard trait were revealed, you have to randomly pick one to add to the staging area. Some monsters and treachery cards had that trait. As you explored these dwarven tunnels for loot, you could easily find yourself lost in the various quest cards - there were multiple stages and having the right loot cards would advance you to a better stage. Not having the right one could lead you in circles. All the while, there was a dragon coming out and attacking, and his threat would fluctuate, depending on another card effect. We very nearly threat out except for Gandalf came to our rescue a few times to lower our threat as we got lost. We ended the game with 46 threat each and I had drawn every card in my deck. My companion had drawn all but 5 cards from his.

So now I return to normal life, post-GenCon. So sad.
Man, my first GenCon was so amazing. I got to play with Matt Newman and Caleb. Got to drink with the Grey Company, eat burgers with COTR, and play so many multiplayer games of LOTR, it was incredible. I was always so impressed at how many people were playing LOTR at the Fellowship events (one per day). They were a reliable meeting place for LOTR players and Caleb was always there giving rules tips and playing a game here or there.

Beorn's draft format was amazing and you can read more about it on his page. I was able to draft a really good Hobbit deck (Merry(S), Frodo, Pippin (L) and we played two teams of four on The Weather Hills (Easy Mode). I was on the winning team with Matt Newman and the most amazing moment came when Justin and Matt played For Gondor! simultaneously for twice the effect. We all shouted FOR GONDOR! and slew our enemies where they stood. We ended on a tense quest push and agreed that draft had been awesome. We actually felt more invested in our decks because we had built them with the limitations of the draft format.

I highly recommend going if you haven't yet, you really get to connect with the LOTR LCG community and it's a great one. Thanks for playing Bullgator, let me tell you folks, that guy has the sweetest playmat and boxes for his cards. I felt very welcomed by the designers and the podcast folks and am so grateful for their camaraderie. When we got drunk, we actually passionately debated the merits of Caldara and other cards, it was Nerd Valhalla.

Congrats. it mus be very fun, sure.

LOTR-LCG is a very good game, the most funnier game card to me. Cooperative multiplayer up to 4 players is more funnier than competitive games.

Edited by Mndela