Whose going to GenCon!?!

By Narsil0420, in Player community

Hey folks,

Just bought my first badge to GenCon! I'm very excited about going and getting to meet some folks in this great community. I thought I'd make a place to sound off and see who else is coming. It would be cool to see everyone's real name as well so we can connect it with the usernames we all know and love. Unless you call each other by your username at GenCon, I'm not acquinted with the local customs...

I'll start,

Hi, my name is Matthew Elias and I'm a recovering Glorfindel addict...

Haha, cool post!

I am considering a journey to the USA and visiting GenCon then for sure.

This year I'm hoping to finish school and get my diploma. That means I've probably got the longest vacation in a long time, but I also want to get a drivers license, so maybe it'll be next year.

Hope to meet you all there; this year or another.

For the sake of it,

Hi, my name is Diedert Koppenol and I'm a Wizard Pipeweed smoker...

this may sound stupid, but where is GenCon? Sorry, I'm not familiar with any lotr stuff, but I'm trying to learn!

It's in Indianapolis at the end of July

I'm going!

I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic and currently dealing with studies and commitments back home, but still... I'll go some day! Saw that it has already been scheduled up until 2020.

I was looking at the list of artists going to be at GenCon this year and saw

Aaron Miller who did some work for LOTR (mostly older stuff) such as: 87_Raurous-Falls-Aaron-Miller.jpg?fit=94

also

John Stanko who created the original Aragorn art!

I'm excited about buying some prints!

I am going!! Consider signing up for the LotR special event they have every year. Its alot of fun and usually a very tough challenge. If anyone is interested in pairing up for the adventure let me know...always need a good partner :)

Edited by teweller4

I was actually just looking at the list of events at GenCon and didn't see the LotR special event scheduled. I believed they've had it every year for some time now, but I hadn't made it to one yet. D oes anyone know - do they ever post the event on the GenCon site so we can register for it or do they just accept people that walk up?

Found it. Search for the title "Fellowship" to see the three events they are hosting. For some reason they don't show up with the keyword "FFG".

CGM1573860 The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship Event Thursday 7:00 PM 2 hrs $18

CGM1573861 The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship Event Friday 7:00 PM 2 hrs $18

CGM1573862 The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship Event Saturday 7:00 PM 2 hrs $18

Edited by Slothgodfather

Seems I didn't submit my gen-con badge wish list fast enough and missed out on all 3 of the fellowship events. sad day.

Edited by Slothgodfather

Yeah, I missed them too. Submitted 5 minutes late! I got tickets for the Grey Company event but also missed the Cardboard of the Rings tickets. I'll just plan on going to the events and at least playing with folks there.

Do they usually sell out this quickly?

This is the first year I attempted to get in, but I was 6,000 in the queue after clicking "process" a few seconds after registration opened and they were gone within the hour.

They did just put up another event for Sunday @ 10am. 22 spots open as of right now.

Edited by Slothgodfather

I got a Sunday ticket! Woo hoo!

Aaron Miller who did some work for LOTR (mostly older stuff) such as: 87_Raurous-Falls-Aaron-Miller.jpg?fit=94

also

that full sized art of Rauros Falls is epic!

Woo, another Fellowship event! I missed my chance to get tickets to the first three (they were sold out within an hour of event registration opening), but this one isn't filling up as fast.

Now I just need to find a partner. Or build decks that can pair with anything. (Let's see, which heroes are the least popular...)

We're staying at the Radisson Indianapolis Airport if anyone wants to get together and play.

also

Stanko also did Distant Stars. Simply beautiful... :)

Hey folks,

would it be a good idea to pick a specific location for people to meet if they want to play casual LOTR games? I was thinking that would make it easier to know that if I go to X location i will most likely meet others who want to play LOTR.
Or is it too hard to claim a specific spot since there's so many people at the tables?

On a more basic note, where is the casual play area?

Hey folks,

would it be a good idea to pick a specific location for people to meet if they want to play casual LOTR games? I was thinking that would make it easier to know that if I go to X location i will most likely meet others who want to play LOTR.

Or is it too hard to claim a specific spot since there's so many people at the tables?

How about you guys all go there wearing propellor hats?

That way you'll intstantly know who's LFG to play some LotR LCG in the mob.

Hey guys,

I'm Sean and I co-host a podcast called Cardboard of the Rings, your bi-weekly podcast about the Lord of the Rings Card game. We will (almost) all be at Gencon this year. A couple things I'd point you to, aside from the official FFG events (Friday is the day for LotR, btw):

-Our special Listener event IV (CGM1574653) is Friday at 3pm. It's been a great gathering of players in the past, and this year looks to be no exception, given that our tickets sold out in the first day! But don't let that stop you from coming, we've never run out of space yet! You can come find a group and play casually, or you can participate in the special game we're planning this year. Hope to see you there!

-The Grey Company (another LotR podcast) also has their event (CGM1569517) on Friday at 8pm. Based on what I've heard, they've developed a draft mode they're going to play at their event. Should be fun!

-Last, we are organizing an off-site meetup for those who would like to imbibe some adult beverages whilst playing. We will have a private room, so keep your eyes peeled for it when we lock down the details, and keep Friday night free!

Super stoked to see you guys at Gencon!

Skype group for players attending GenCon who want to set up games with other attendees.

https://join.skype.com/tey915H

I can also be contacted on my Facebook page, Bullgator Crocodilia.

Edited by Bullgator

Hey folks,

How about you guys all go there wearing propellor hats?

That way you'll intstantly know who's LFG to play some LotR LCG in the mob.

Ha ha ha...

In response to Sean,

Man, so many events on Friday!!! I'm really glad that I'm waiting till Sunday for the Fellowship Event otherwise I think my head would explode. Maybe in the future you guys can try to space these events out a bit. As it is, Friday is going to be up there in the competition for favorite days in my life.

I just listened to the Podcast on Keeping Count and I'm really excited about it. It was a really smart idea to not try and change the coop aspect of the game. I didn't get tickets but I'm looking forward to crashing, thanks for letting us know that's ok.

-Matthew Elias

Edited by Narsil0420

We're staying at the Radisson Indianapolis Airport if anyone wants to get together and play.

I'll be right across the freeway at the Wyndham Indianapolis West! That being said, I'm sure that I'll just be using the hotel as basically a crash pad after playing all day! I'm definitely game to meet up with anyone who wants to play LOTR at the Con.

I'm Matthew John Elias on FB, and I'll get the Skype App to connect with people that way too.

Edited by Narsil0420

We're not coming until Friday - will probably get there some time between noon and 3. I hate missing the In Flight Report but there are no tickets anyway. Maybe Team Covenant will have it up on YouTube. Planning on crashing Cardboard of the Rings with generic tickets that afternoon - then to the Grey Company thing Friday night.

Saturday we might play some D&D - but most of Saturday will be open. We'll probably try to set up a LotR LCG area at an open table in one of the play halls - might have to move around a bit as events come and go at those tables. I'll post on the location on the Skype group when we're there. Sunday we have tickets for the Sunday FFG Fellowship Event and will probably leave after that.