Coop play

By Demax Reboban, in Imperial Assault Campaign

Hi. I play games mainly with my son and we really get a kick out of playing games like this coop. These sort of 'modes' are pretty rare so I often have to come up with modifications to make it possible.

My question is how hard would it b to procedurally simulate the empire player in this game? I'm very handy at knocking up tool in excel using vba ect but I suppose the question is more structural...

That would be difficult, nigh-impossible for a game like this, as there is a lot of hidden information that the Empire player is privy to. In addition, the tactical nature of the game would make it difficult for the game to played with "scripts" for the Imperial player to simulate an "Automated Enemy" if you will, as these would have to be tailored for each specific mission. You might be better off writing your own missions from scratch which would give you the control you need to effectively include an enemy AI, and more predictable scripting.

Check out the "Aftermath" mission in the campaign. That mission only has one decision gate (which you could either randomize, or craft a script that checks the number of heroes and their positions). You would craft the Imperial AI with a single goal: Wound the heroes.

Missions after that will become more difficult to script with things like multiple deployment points, reinforcements, open groups, objectives that dont involve killing heroes, etc...

Space Hulk's original edition (not sure of future editions) had an excellent "solo play" mode, and gave you rules for how to deploy and make genestealers behave without a player there to control them, but then, Space Hulk wasn't nearly this complex.

Edited by Fizz

Thanks for the reply.

Thought as much.coop games are hard to come by and often take a great deal of modding.wasted opportunity in many ways.

Cheers though.

Check out the automated Emperor variant on BGG

Don't let that discourage you from playing *against* your son. You gotta get those victories early before he grows up! Let him play the rebels for the first campaign, and remember...if he could be turned...he would be a powerful ally.

But don't cut off his hand. I don't think today's youth will "Just get over it" like they did in the 70's and 80's.

Thanks for the reply.

Thought as much.coop games are hard to come by and often take a great deal of modding.wasted opportunity in many ways.

Cheers though.

An amazing Co-Op is Eldritch Horror. My wife and I have played it many times. Its horror so you'll have to check if it will work with your son. My wife really don't enjoy horror movies but she is fine with Eldritch Horror.