"XP Per Player"

By macmastermind, in Imperial Assault Rules Questions

So, the mission rewards outline XP per player, but in a five-player game, that would mean each hero would have that XP point available for them to spend. Meaning, if I wanted a 4xp upgrade for one hero, by the time I had those 4xp for one hero, another player would also potentially have 4xp for their hero as well.

In a 2 player game, based on the mission wording, each hero basically receives exactly half of what they'd be getting if they were controlled by 2 different people. I really think this makes the game much harder for the rebels in a 2 player campaign, since it takes twice as long to upgrade as it would if there were more people involved.

I'm thinking this is the only reason we are both just getting destroyed by the imperials in nearly every mission. We're going to try a campaign with this 'house rule' (each HERO receives 1xp) and see if it's any more balanced for us...

If I'm missing something here, let me know.

I think that's an oversight in the rules. I play by your house rule as well. If it's an actual rule, I haven't found it yet.

i would go with the one person is two players as they are controlling the two hero's separately and apart from the two instances in the learn to play book 1 player only has 1 hero

From the rules reference book
Campaign Setup
Before starting a new campaign, perform the following steps.
1. Choose Player Roles: Players choose one player to take on the role of the Imperial player. All other players are Rebel players. Players retain these roles for the entirety of the campaign.
2. Choose Heroes: Each Rebel player chooses one Hero sheet and places that hero’s Class deck and figure in his play area. Then, each Rebel player retrieves any Item cards that do not have a cost from his Class deck and places them faceup in his play area.
-- If playing a 2-hero game, each hero claims a “Legendary” Reward card.
If playing a 3-hero game, each hero claims a “Heroic” Reward card.
Hero
During a campaign, each Rebel player controls a hero. The word “Hero” is used to refer to hero figures, the player controlling the
figure, and all of the associated components.
Experience Points
During a campaign, players gain experience points (XP) as mission rewards. During the Rebel and Imperial Upgrade Stages,
players can spend XP to purchase Class cards.
• Unspent XP is recorded on the campaign log and may be spent during future Upgrade Stages.

from the learn to play book (the only reference to one player controlling 2 hero's is in this book)
Less than Four Heroes?
Imperial Assault provides a balanced experience for 2–5 players. If playing with fewer than four heroes, Rebel players
receive special cards from the Reward deck during setup.
These cards help balance the game by increasing the heroes’ Health and providing additional activation tokens.
After campaign setup for fewer than four heroes, give heroes the following components:
• 2-Hero Game: Each hero receives a “Legendary” Reward card.
• 3-Hero Game: Each hero receives a “Heroic” Reward card.
If there is only one Rebel player in the game, he plays a two-hero game and controls both of them separately
Campaign Resources
Throughout a campaign, players acquire various resources as rewards for completing missions. These resources are spent
to gain a variety of different advantages.
Experience Points: Both heroes and the Imperial player earn experience points (XP). XP can be spent to purchase cards
from the player’s Class deck.

as you can see there is also a difference in the description of experience points in the two books

They'd almost have to clarify the interpretation that way (1 'person' = x 'players' where x=the number of heroes that 'person' controls). Otherwise they'd have to errata almost every mission's rewards section to say 'each hero' instead of 'each player'...

I would say the rules are written from the default of four hero players. So each hero player gets XP.

so rebel player(s) & imperial player earn the same xp when the mission says all players earn 1 xp

if you record the rebels xp at the top of the rebel box right where it says experience rather than with each hero

then just have each hero spend up to that total

1: this tidy's up that section

2: it doesn't matter how many people are playing how many hero's

The rules are not written in a way to accommodate 2 players playing 4 heroes. So you have to make accommodations for the fact that the rules act as if each person is always playing one role.