Warrior Shii-Cho Knight and Force Rating

By sbryden191, in Game Mechanics

I am not sure if this is an oversight but the Warrior Shii-Cho Knight doesnt have a option in the talent tree to get the force rating +1 option. I honestly thing the Parry on the bottom should be linked to sum djem and be the force rating +1 option.

Most lightsaber forms don't have a Force Rating, and have only a Dedication instead. Soresu Defender, Makashi Duelist, Ataru Striker, and Shien Expert are the other ones that follow this; only Niman Disciple has a Force Rating in addition to a Dedication.

Shii-Cho especially should not have a Force Rating though, seeing as how little of the tree actually requires/uses force-sensitivity compared to other forms; which is as it should be, given this is meant to be a more basic and simple form.

thank you very much for that explaination

It's also important to note that the door swings both ways. There are a couple of trees that grant 2 separate +1 Force Rating talents, but no Dedication talent.

Edited by kaosoe

To build a bit on what Lathrop said, the lack of a Force Rating talent for five of the six Lightsaber Form specs is something of a balance factor.

With the exception of Niman Disciple, those five specs (Ataru Striker, Makashi Duelist, Shien Expert, Shii-Cho Knight, and Soresu Defender) all get either Improved Parry or Improved Reflect (Soresu Defender gets both per the Beta Updates) on top of having Lightsaber as a bonus career skill. And most of those specs have some ability to upgrade an attacker's difficulty or add setback dice via melee defense, which in turn increases the odds of an opponent rolling the necessary Despair or 3 Threat needed to trigger those talents; Shien Expert is the odd duck out on this one, but that's a separate issue. And with Breach 1 being a passive quality, a successful use of Improved Parry means the attacker is taking at least 6 damage (more if using an alternate crystal or just a highly modified one), which can add up quickly to take down rivals and minions with pretty alarming ease.

Niman Disciple has neither Improved Parry or Improved Reflect, so it's missing one of the Lightsaber Form specs' key ways of inflicting damage, so it having the Force Rating talent is fine, albeit said talent is buried at the very tail end of the tree. This is likely to account for the fact that Niman Disciple still has Lightsaber as a bonus career skill and access to multiple ranks of Parry, Reflect, and Defensive Training, which makes it a surprisingly good "second spec" for a character's that focused on being a lightsaber expert that still wants the (eventual) option to increase their Force Rating.

I know this is another ? But noticed Niman has a second row talent that doesn't have a talent above it. Does That mean you can go right to that talent and skip the top row?

I know this is another ? But noticed Niman has a second row talent that doesn't have a talent above it. Does That mean you can go right to that talent and skip the top row?

No, you cannot outright buy it, only talents on the top row; so you'd basically have to go around.

So let's say you're talking about the 10xp version of "Toughened" in Niman. Quickest route would be that you start with Nobody's Fool at 5xp, down to Niman Technique at 10xp, down to Sense Emotions at 15xp, to the right to Reflect at 15xp, and then finally back up to Toughened at 10xp.

Nope. You'd have to work around the tree to get to that 2nd row talent.

And it's not a unique situation, as several other specs have a similar set-up, such as Scoundrel and Force Exile in the EotE core rulebook, where you've got to work your way up either the right or left side of the spec tree to get to the central block of talents.