DungeonQuest + Drakon?

By Subt1e, in DungeonQuest Revised Edition

Has anyone tried combining these games?

I've read that in Dungeon Quest you could die within the first couple moves and that Drakon is quite boring and needs some excitement....

It seams to me combining them might make for a more interesting game.

I'm not sure how well this would work. For one thing, the games are entirely different. DQ is a ruthless roguelike grindfest, whereas Drakon is more "happy chaos fun-time" dungeoneering. Drakon has tons of player interaction, while DQ has almost none (unless you're standing in the same place.)

I'm also not sure how well the tiles would fit together. I don't think the Drakon tiles would fit on the DQ board, for example (although I could be wrong regarding the recent 4th ed tiles.) The artwork definitely wouldn't mesh, and you'd need to find a way to reconcile all the DQ effects and Drakon effects into a single system.

And then there's the arrows. DQ has an arrow on each tile to show where the hero came from. Drakon has arrows on all the doors you're allowed to leave through. One is marking entrances, the other is marking exits. Could get confusing if you're trying to mix and match tiles. DQ allows for bi-directional movement through a doorway, Drakon only allows travel following the arrows.

Best of luck if you want to give it a shot. To me it sounds like a lot of effort for relatively little gain.

Edited by Steve-O

Hmmmn...

Didn't know about the arrows...