Will there ever be a new edition, or are we done now?

By MisterMT, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game

2nd edition already contains the contents from the 1st edition expansions.

Until there are dragons in westeros the 2nd edition won't need to be updated.

Edited by crimhead

Well as Starks and Baratheons have been killed or exiled and Danerys is in Essos trying to rule there I can see maybe instead of a 3rd edition with Boltons and Nights Watch and Sons of the Harpy factions. I could see some off shoots much like Axis and allies Europe and Pacific. Perhaps Game of Thrones: the North Where you have Boltons and Carstarks and Mormet or even play as wildlings where the wildling mechanics have been replaced by the Night King and the White Walkers, or Game of Thrones: Essos Where you play the exiled Tygaren, Dothraki, Bravos, or even the Sons of the Harpy. Those games I think might be found as interesting instead of a whole new addition.

Hello friends,

Game of Thrones Third Edition already exists, created by fans for fans. It will be available in English soon. We hope that once FFG will benefit from our work.

https://www.facebook.com/got3edition/

Hello friends,

Game of Thrones Third Edition already exists, created by fans for fans. It will be available in English soon. We hope that once FFG will benefit from our work.

https://www.facebook.com/got3edition/

I prefer to keep the game 6p max, not 7p.

First edition had multiple big box expansions (including an alternate map), while Second edition has had only two expansions - both small POD.

To me this is evidence that the popularity/marketability of the game is not what it once was. Maybe the PCB is edging it out? Most people would rather play quick card games vs bring area-map war games I think. Sometimes I think the co pay only makes wargames out of passion. Will Star Wars: Rebellion really yeild a return comparable to the minis games?

Either way, I'd expect another POD expansion at some point (once the story develops further), but that's about all.

You know, I would have agreed with you a year or two ago about the popularity of the "board game" industry in general going down. But, Game of Thrones the TV show and the new book finally "being worked on" has brought a whole new market to this particular board game. My wife and I got into board games last winter when we were strapped for cash but still wanted to be social (we are both 30, so young enough to go out to bars still but do not do it all the time like most people in their early 20's) so we got into board games as a way to socialize with our friends and not spend much cash. Over time, our group grew from one other couple to 6 other couples. When we introduced Game of Thrones the board game, everyone that played it wanted to play it again the next time we meet up.... (we have the 2nd edition). It is a complex game, with a high replay value (granted you have to be ready to play for 4-7 hours with 6 people).

After playing it fairly regularly for 2 months, I really do hope they make a 3rd edition, with some varied house starting options (thank you to the 100's of people that have listed variations) and expanding for an "option" to play up to 7-9 players (maybe this franchise buys out the guys who created their own 7-9 player version, or just hires them). Especially as the book and TV series expands on the white walkers, house Targaryen, Wildlings faction.... I think there is much "interest" in playing different "houses or factions" and expanding the variations of game play. I believe this board game series has a lot of room to grow, a market to sell to (that is growing with the HBO series especially), and a great concept to work with.

Once again, thank you to the fan base that keeps producing new variations to this game, and I hope FFG decides that this is a game worthy to grow a 3rd edition with a new map/houses/variations.