Will there ever be a new edition, or are we done now?

By MisterMT, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game

This game has a passionate fan base, and will surely continue to attract new players. There is also an abiding interest in the IP, which shows no sign of flagging.

Yet, despite all its excellence, the second edition game is widely seen as in need of tweaking - Lannisters in the 6 player, some cards here and there - and more fundamental changes for the 4 player version. There have been a couple of expansions addressing this, but with varied success, and in the UK at least they are hard to get. There is a widely played variant - T6 - which reportedly addresses many concerns, and makes for a better experience.

All of which leads me to ask: what chance a new definitive edition of this game? Personally, I suspect it's one for the ages, so how much more satisfying would it be to own a complete edition, with balance tweaks, a couple of variants, house Arryn pieces, and a 2 sided board.

Have there been any rumblings that this could happen?

Edited by MisterMT

I'm guessing that will be a while. FFG are currently super busy with their cash cows: the Star Wars franchise, Netrunner, Descent and the Lovecraft franchise. On top of that, they are releasing a new range of classic games, starting with Tigris & Euphrates. Not to mention there is probably a good deal of work to do with being bought by Asmodee Games.

I have absolutely no connection or knowledge of the inner workings of FFG so I can't say if they have a team looking at AGOT but I agree with you that the time to release a new edition would surely be now while the tv-series is at it's most popular. At the same time, the first edition came out in 2003 and the second in 2011. It's still kind of early for a third edition and they would run the risk of angering some of the fans, which probably isn't how they'd like to start a release. I know I'd think hard before putting my money towards another edition while my current is still in pristine condition.

Forgot to say that the expansions are available through FFG's store if you can't find them locally. I only got them there quite recently myself: quick and without any problems. I can definitely recommend it!

Edited by Borealian

Buy the A Dance with Dragons expansion. It is worth it and makes the game so much fun.

Having played a Feast for Crows last night, with the myriad Objectives , it definitely takes the game to another level! I concur with HJB's comment, as well, though I haven't played that expansion, yet.

Cheers,

Joe

I would imagine that if this is on the cards, they'll probably wait a couple more years to

a) not anger those players who only just upgraded to 2nd edition

b) catch the GoT tv series at peak popularity when the final series is about to air.

c) incorporate elements from the final series into a new expansion

I'd like to see a slightly re-balanced edition, especially if it also contained the existing expansions and House Arryn pieces.

I would imagine that if this is on the cards, they'll probably wait a couple more years to

a) not anger those players who only just upgraded to 2nd edition

b) catch the GoT tv series at peak popularity when the final series is about to air.

c) incorporate elements from the final series into a new expansion

I'd like to see a slightly re-balanced edition, especially if it also contained the existing expansions and House Arryn pieces.

I would like to see an expansion with an additional board where House Daenerys (Targaryen) would control the free cities and would invade by sea either the North, the South or the middle of the East coast.

This would make the game playable up to seven players.

It would also add to the play options of House Stark and House Martell while making House Baratheon in the middle of an epic clash.

But I am dreaming ;)

I would like to see an expansion with an additional board where House Daenerys (Targaryen) would control the free cities and would invade by sea either the North, the South or the middle of the East coast.

This would make the game playable up to seven players.

It would also add to the play options of House Stark and House Martell while making House Baratheon in the middle of an epic clash.

But I am dreaming ;)

As far as official expansions and editions go, yes you are probably left to dreaming. I know there are fan made boards, really quite lavish ones at that, that split Westeros in many more territories than the original. Presumably at least a sliver of playtesting went into these boards before the momentous projects were undertaken. In other words, there are possibilities of adding a lot of players just in Westeros. I'd like to add Essos as well, although with all the free cities as separate players, each less powerful than a single westerosi house but with lots of opportunity to meddle and different winning objectives.

However, those ambitions would require far more time than I have for the foreseeable future, and it would also require a lot of die-hard players both for testing and then actually playing. I'd probably get sick of the game midway through as well.

Having played a Feast for Crows last night, with the myriad Objectives , it definitely takes the game to another level! I concur with HJB's comment, as well, though I haven't played that expansion, yet.

Cheers,

Joe

We exclusively play the T6 Rules, you need the DWD expansion for this, and we play a variant with "Mission Cards" from the FFC expansion, for 6 or 7 players...loads of fun...we wouldn't play any other way (and certainly never 6p RAW, never). We also play 7p T6 Rules with House Arryn, with or without the FFC Mission Cards...it's awesome!

It's a game based on an on going franchise, after the next book arrives we will see a new expansion/edition. Everyone wants to play with targ dragons but until the books get to that point it can't be incorporated into the game.

Battles of westeros is in a similar position, only 3 factions because there are no other major battles in the books between the other houses. The next book starts with major battles involving greyjoy and targ, once that book arrives we can finally see those factions enter the game.

Ffg are currently putting a lot of effort into the new agot lcg due this year, when that does well they will probably follow up with other agot products.

I think battlestar is a good model for the agot board game to follow, where each expansion moved the timeline to the next series.

yes all brother saying truth ....

Is it possible to believe in a future expansion of the blackfyre rebellion? It would be great to have an expansion with a two side teams battle

I haven't heard about a new game being in production, so being an enthusiast i've gone ahead and made my own expansion from a combination of the second edition, and the ADWD expansion, along with some new twists! I've played it a number of times with my group of friends and its really well balanced between the houses, and incorporates a new map. Its a 9 player expansion with new houses Targaryen, Tully and Arryn, while the Bolton's replace the Starks. It's based on the beginning of season 5 of the TV series and has new house cards, updated wildling deck to accommodate 9 players, an expanded map including the free cities in Essos, a Deck IV with some new interesting twists and a new concept called the Misfit deck which incorporates the characters whose storylines we seem to follow but are considered 'on their own' (Arya, Bran, Lord Varys, Tyrion, Brienne, Bronn, Beric Dondarrion, etc.. )

Played it a few times and had heaps of fun and many intense nights!

I really hope they do make a 3rd Edition of the game. Balancing for 3-5 players being the biggest aspect, but also further expanding on the wildling/house cards & starting positions to reflect the changes in the books. Also a graphical overhaul in the spirit of the new book. Maybe a new version in 2016 for when Winds of Winter comes out? Would have been so cool.

PS: I think the official game should stay at max 6 players. Just my opinion.

I really hope they do make a 3rd Edition of the game. Balancing for 3-5 players being the biggest aspect, but also further expanding on the wildling/house cards & starting positions to reflect the changes in the books. Also a graphical overhaul in the spirit of the new book. Maybe a new version in 2016 for when Winds of Winter comes out? Would have been so cool.

A 3rd expansion could provide all you are requesting.

Edited by Frode789

Not really. What I would like to see (for example game board balance) would require a new game board. I don't see them releasing that in a expansion pack.

I misinterpreted what you said about the graphical overhaul.

But I feel like it is more a cosmetic change. The world has not change since book one, only the characters have.

For me, a 3rd expansion would be enough.

are any of the expansions good for 3 player games? or only for 4 player games and above?

One of the expansion is a variant for a 4 players game.

The other is a variant for a 6 players game.

What I would like in a 3rd. Edition of AGOT, which should be relevant to the time-frame of Winds of Winter:

Game board:

- Updated game board with slight balance changes (mainly concerning Lannister-Greyjoy area), and of course alterations to houses/starting positions etc. as per the new WoW time-frame. Still 6p game board. With new game board graphics! A cool and dark look on the game board, with focus on the White Walker threat that is facing Westeros.

White Walkers:

- Wildling threat is replaced with White Walker threat, with a new card deck. Possible side-idea: Have a few White Walker units that can actually invade Westeros. Non-player participant. Controlled via the actions in their card deck. Would be cool, but may be hard to balance as they will come in the North?

House & house card changes:

- Baratheron replaced with Targaryen.

- Stark replaced with Bolton.

- For the other 4 houses, new house cards as per WoW time-frame.

3p-5p modifications to make them more fun & balanced:

- Optional scenario cards.

- Tweaks to the 3p-5p garrison placement/strength. There are tons of house rules that work much better than the base game rules, but I do not like doing changes to the board.. They should really make sure they have a nice balance on any player count. Buffing the garrisions, and introducing various scenarios should alleviate this problem.

And probably lots of other cool new things that could make their way into Winds of Winter-era Westeros.

I'd love a two player variant where one player controls the white walkers and the other controls the realm of men.

Given that I expect expansions relating to the new books before a 3rd edition, I don't think we'll be seeing a 3rd edition anytime soon.

First edition had multiple big box expansions (including an alternate map), while Second edition has had only two expansions - both small POD.

To me this is evidence that the popularity/marketability of the game is not what it once was. Maybe the PCB is edging it out? Most people would rather play quick card games vs bring area-map war games I think. Sometimes I think the co pay only makes wargames out of passion. Will Star Wars: Rebellion really yeild a return comparable to the minis games?

Either way, I'd expect another POD expansion at some point (once the story develops further), but that's about all.

2nd edition already contains the contents from the 1st edition expansions.

Until there are dragons in westeros the 2nd edition won't need to be updated.

2nd edition already contains the contents from the 1st edition expansions.

Until there are dragons in westeros the 2nd edition won't need to be updated.

Wrong. We need to replace wildlings with white walkers (which should play a much bigger part in the game, compared to the wildlings in the 2nd edition), among many other things, ref. my post on previous page.

I would love to see a new edition with scenario cards like the ones on "a feast for crows" expansion. Gives a lot of freshness and adds randomness to the game i think.