Questions about Revised edition rules

By TwiceBorn, in DungeonQuest Revised Edition

I submitted the following questions to the developers/FFG a week ago… don't know if I'll ever hear back from them. I am surprised that a "revised" edition of this game would still have so many ambiguous rules, given how simple the game otherwise is.

1. When using the optional solo play rules (Rules Reference p. 2)… can a hero escape through any unblocked hall into a chamber that has not been previously explored (in multiplayer mode, a player must be able to go into an adjacent explored chamber in order to attempt to escape combat -- see Rules Reference, p. 5)?

2. If the answer to question 1 above is "no," are halls that lead to unexplored chambers (from the chamber the hero is trying to escape from) considered "blocked" for the purpose of escaping into a previously explored corridor?

3. If a hero ESCAPES into a previously explored Corridor… does he move again immediately (Rules Reference p. 11, but compare with errata from previous edition of the game)? If yes, can he move into a previously unexplored chamber connected to the corridor (i.e., if it is a 3- or 4- way corridor), or must he go back into a previously explored chamber?

4. In solo play, does a hero ONLY suffer wounds from a monster's Escape Penalty on a FAILED escape test (Reference Guide p. 2)?

5. If a hero enters a Bridge chamber, decides to cross the bridge upon entering the chamber, and succeeds on his check to cross the bridge… does he exit the chamber on the same turn that he made his check, or on the next turn?

6. If a hero escapes into a Bridge chamber… can he cross the bridge on the same turn that he escaped from another chamber into the Bridge chamber, or would his turn immediately end upon escaping into the Bridge chamber?

7. When failing an Agility test and falling off the bridge in the Bridge chamber… does one enter the Catacombs on the same turn as one failed the attribute test, or on the next turn?

8. As a general rule… can one enter and exit a chamber (e.g., bridge chamber, cave-in chamber, spider web chamber) on the same turn as the required attribute test is made? Does the answer vary depend on whether the hero is entering the chamber as part of a normal move or escaping?

9. I am using the rules for Dungeonquest Revised edition with the board/components of the earlier version released by FFG in 2010 (which I only acquired shortly before the Revised edition was announced, and only started playing around Christmas 2014). How has the wording of the Drain Life rune card been changed/updated in the Revised edition?

10. Should one place a catacomb marker in locations from which a hero exits the catacombs, or only in locations from which they enter the catacombs?

11. In solo play… does Hugo the Glorious suffer 0 wounds and inflict 1 wound on the monster whenever his player rolls 3-4 on a d6?

12. Does the first player have the option of advancing the sun token at the end of his status phase, or should it be done at the beginning, before any abilities on cards in his play area are resolved (the Learn to Play booklet, p. 5, says that the token should be moved "during each of the first's player's status phases," which is somewhat vague)?

13. When a hero draws the Dragon Rage card in the Treasure Chamber… can they be moved into a chamber occupied by another hero if there are no other options (p. 8 of the Learn to Play booklet says that "When a player leaves the treasure chamber, he can leave by any of its halls that are not blocked by walls or other players"…. is the Dragon Rage card an exception to the rule)?

14. The errata to the previous edition indicated that "If there are no Heroes in the Treasure Chamber at the end of a player's turn, all of the drawn Dragon cards are shuffled back into the Dragon deck, face down." As neither the Learn to Play booklet or Rules Reference for the Revised edition address this… should it be assumed that the errata from the previous edition applies to the Revised edition? Does the answer vary depending on whether one is playing in standard multi-player mode or using the optional solo rules?

15. If a hero is forced out of the Treasure Chamber by Dragon Rage…

a) If moved to a previously explored chamber, does he immediately draw a card (e.g., Dungeon Card for most chambers, Trap card for trapped chamber)?

b) Can he be moved through a hall into a previously unexplored chamber? If yes, would the player immediately draw the appropriate Dungeon or Trap card?

While awaiting an official reply from FFG, I welcome the feedback of other players on these questions.

Cheers!

Edited by TwiceBornh

10. Should one place a catacomb marker in locations from which a hero exits the catacombs, or only in locations from which they enter the catacombs?

Answer to my own question is on p. 6 of the Revised edition Rules Reference:

"Do not place a catacomb entrance marker on the chamber you exit into."

The other questions still stand.

I submitted the following questions to the developers/FFG a week ago… don't know if I'll ever hear back from them. I am surprised that a "revised" edition of this game would still have so many ambiguous rules, given how simple the game otherwise is.

1. When using the optional solo play rules (Rules Reference p. 2)… can a hero escape through any unblocked hall into a chamber that has not been previously explored (in multiplayer mode, a player must be able to go into an adjacent explored chamber in order to attempt to escape combat -- see Rules Reference, p. 5)?

Yes. That's one of the main differences between solo play and a regular game with two or more players/characters.

2. If the answer to question 1 above is "no," are halls that lead to unexplored chambers (from the chamber the hero is trying to escape from) considered "blocked" for the purpose of escaping into a previously explored corridor?

3. If a hero ESCAPES into a previously explored Corridor… does he move again immediately (Rules Reference p. 11, but compare with errata from previous edition of the game)? If yes, can he move into a previously unexplored chamber connected to the corridor (i.e., if it is a 3- or 4- way corridor), or must he go back into a previously explored chamber?

Yes, he moves immediately. You cannot stop in corridors. Then as a consequence of being in a corridor, you may actually go into a linked unexplored chamber and explore it.

4. In solo play, does a hero ONLY suffer wounds from a monster's Escape Penalty on a FAILED escape test (Reference Guide p. 2)?

Yes. Note that in solo play you only have one opportunity to escape and that's before the first round of combat.

5. If a hero enters a Bridge chamber, decides to cross the bridge upon entering the chamber, and succeeds on his check to cross the bridge… does he exit the chamber on the same turn that he made his check, or on the next turn?

On the same turn. Treat it as "move immediately" if you've passed the Agility test.

6. If a hero escapes into a Bridge chamber… can he cross the bridge on the same turn that he escaped from another chamber into the Bridge chamber, or would his turn immediately end upon escaping into the Bridge chamber?

I'm pretty sure you can always choose to resolve the effect of the chamber you escaped into. Although you don't have to.( for instance, if you escape into a Trap Chamber, you don't have to draw a trap card)

7. When failing an Agility test and falling off the bridge in the Bridge chamber… does one enter the Catacombs on the same turn as one failed the attribute test, or on the next turn?

Yes, on the same turn.

8. As a general rule… can one enter and exit a chamber (e.g., bridge chamber, cave-in chamber, spider web chamber) on the same turn as the required attribute test is made? Does the answer vary depend on whether the hero is entering the chamber as part of a normal move or escaping?

Depends on the chamber. For the Cave-in,for instance, the immediate effect is drawing a Dungeon card. On your next turn, you may test Agility to traverse one of the blocked halls.

Check the Chamber descriptions on page 8 of the Learn to Play booklet.

9. I am using the rules for Dragonquest Revised edition with the board/components of the earlier version released by FFG in 2010 (which I only acquired shortly before the Revised edition was announced, and only started playing around Christmas 2014). How has the wording of the Drain Life rune card been changed/updated in the Revised edition?

The text on the Life Drain rune states: "Discard after defeating a monster in combat." Heal all your wounds.

11. In solo play… does Hugo the Glorious suffer 0 wounds and inflict 1 wound on the monster whenever his player rolls 3-4 on a d6?

Hugo's first ability pertains to combat cards. Since you don't use combat cards in solo play, this ability has no effect.

12. Does the first player have the option of advancing the sun token at the end of his status phase, or should it be done at the beginning, before any abilities on cards in his play area are resolved (the Learn to Play booklet, p. 5, says that the token should be moved "during each of the first's player's status phases," which is somewhat vague)?

That's the first action, the first player performs during each of his turns.

13. When a hero draws the Dragon Rage card in the Treasure Chamber… can they be moved into a chamber occupied by another hero if there are no other options (p. 8 of the Learn to Play booklet says that "When a player leaves the treasure chamber, he can leave by any of its halls that are not blocked by walls or other players"…. is the Dragon Rage card an exception to the rule)?

Two or more characters can never be in the same chamber, unless it's the Treasure Chamber. There are no other exceptions.

14. The errata to the previous edition indicated that "If there are no Heroes in the Treasure Chamber at the end of a player's turn, all of the drawn Dragon cards are shuffled back into the Dragon deck, face down." As neither the Learn to Play booklet or Rules Reference for the Revised edition address this… should it be assumed that the errata from the previous edition applies to the Revised edition? Does the answer vary depending on whether one is playing in standard multi-player mode or using the optional solo rules?

I'm pretty sure the dragon cards are only shuffled after Dragon Rage has been drawn and resolved, not in any other instances.

15. If a hero is forced out of the Treasure Chamber by Dragon Rage…

a) If moved to a previously explored chamber, does he immediately draw a card (e.g., Dungeon Card for most chambers, Trap card for trapped chamber)?

b) Can he be moved through a hall into a previously unexplored chamber? If yes, would the player immediately draw the appropriate Dungeon or Trap card?

Not sure. There's nothing in the Revised edition that states that Dragon Rage forces heroes out of the Treasure Chamber.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and sharing your thoughts, zealot12.

I agree with most of your responses, except for 6 (I have been playing it that you must trigger a chamber's effects as soon as you enter, even if you enter as part of an escape), and 11 (I think all heroes should have a power that is usable in solo play, and suspect that Hugo's lack of a power usable in solo play is probably an oversight… but I may be wrong… and that's why it would be nice if someone at FFG took the time to either respond to my request for assistance, or otherwise posted an FAQ document).

Thanks especially for sharing the text of the revised Drain Life rune.

Your responses also generated a few more questions...

Does the text of the Dragon Rage card in the Revised edition not say "If you survive, you must immediately move out of the Treasure Chamber"?

Where in the Revised edition does it say that dragon cards are only shuffled after Dragon Rage has been resolved? Is it written on the Dragon Rage card (because it isn't in the edition I have)?

Edited by TwiceBornh

Here's the text on the Dragon cards in the Revised edition:

Dragon Rage reads: Discard all your treasure cards. Then roll 2 dice and suffer a number of wounds equal to the result.

Then, all other players in the treasure chamber suffer the effects described above

Finally, shuffle all discarded dragon cards(including this one) back into the dragon deck.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sleeping reads: Draw 2 Treasure cards. On your next turn, you may either exit the treasure chamber or stay and draw another dragon card.

If you wish to play solo, it plays well with the player controlling 2 heroes. Then, you don't have to go back and forth between the differences of solo and regular play.

We also don't use the combat cards at all; they feel clunky and their effect on gameplay is minimal.

we just use the solo rules for inflicting wounds. All other rules regarding combat and escaping from monsters remain unchanged.(as per the rules of the regular non-solo game)

Edited by zealot12

Ah, so they did change the text on Dragon Rage, but not on Sleeping.

Thanks for that, zealot12!

And yes, I suppose you're right, there's nothing stopping me from playing several heroes at once.

Two or more characters can never be in the same chamber, unless it's the Treasure Chamber. There are no other exceptions.

There IS one other exception: when exiting catacoms "a player can resurface in a chamber that is occupied by one or more other players." (p.6 of Rules Reference)