Ancient History?

By SimplyJohn, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

Are there any resources available giving technical information and character profiles for the Old Republic era yet?

I was looking to make an adventure set in the lead-up to the Great Hyperspace War (6000-5500 BBY) and was wondering if there were any resources covering the ships, vehicles and races of that time period.

Nothing produced by FFG. I don't think it's likely we'll see any era sourcebooks, at least not unil they have released all of the career sourcebook. But Wookieepedia is always a great source to mine. Especially for the Old Republic era or the Great Hyperspace war .

Kaosoe offered up some great resources, and I would like to add that a trip to a used book store (or amazon of course) for some of the Essential guides and related material might also be helpful, as they could have pictures of things from those eras. I've picked up a number of really handy books for pennies on the dollar, and it's always great to have them around the table during the game.

I've found the Dark Horse comic series Tales of the Jedi to be pretty inspiring when dealing with that era. Perhaps not the specific numbers you're wanting but certainly flavor.

This book from wizards of the coast is an ok book: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Knights_of_the_Old_Republic_Campaign_Guide

It's also obscenely expensive on the secondhand market, unfortunately.

Wookieepedia is a great resource. I'm currently playing in an Edge of the Empire game set during the Mandalorian Wars , and the GM gets most of his info from either the Dark Horse comics or from Wookieepedia. As far as stats go, pretty much everything is just re-fluffed and re-skinned stuff from what's already published.

Luckily using the same stats published for the Rebellion era will work just fine and you can just "reskin" them to look like the ships from the Old Republic era. There's also a lot of direct analogs between the Old Republic and the Rebellion era. Sith battleships are basically Star Destroyers. The Dynamic Class freighter is the YT-1300 of the era.

As for races you - can pretty easily come up with your own to fill any gaps. In most circumstances just using the Human rules works. Or throw in a special ability (like being able to see in complete darkness for the Miruluka, or removing all setback dice on Perception for darkness etc) and reduce the starting XP accordingly. Sam Stewart stated on the Order 66 podcast that a big factor in determining the species that went into F&D was the species make up of the Jedi High Council and Jedi Order in the prequels. Hopefully this is an indication that F&D supplemental books will also provide some backwards looking support (like Miraluka which is an obvious choice given their inherent connection to the force).

And you should be able to create anything else using the current FFG line. Mandalorians can be recreated with any of the Core books and Dangerous Covenants. Jedi with the Force And Destiny.

The Inquisitor rules in F&D also work well for throwing together Sith adversaries.

It would be great if FFG opens up support for other eras but until then I think most of what's needed is already there.

Edited by Jedi Ronin

Wow, I wonder why. I guess I should keep my copy in plastic.

I'm not totally sure. It was one of the more solid books in that line. I bought them as they came out, so I'm fortunate enough to have a complete set of Saga Edition books, (including both printings of the Core Rulebook) but I imagine (full-on-speculation mode!) that the popularity of that particular era for roleplaying coupled with the fact that Wizards only did one print run led to greater than usual demand with a dwindling supply. I've seen the book listed for well over $200 at times. It seems prices have actually come down a bit. A used copy on eBay will only set you back about $85 right now. So, only slightly more than double MSRP.

Curiously, other Saga Edition books weren't as popular. The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide, with a treasure trove of Imperial goodies and a fair bit of information on running a Dark Times campaign is still widely available and (at the time of this post) will only set you back a mere $9 for a new copy . Then again, it also includes a lot of the worst stuff from the video game of the same name, so maybe that had something to do with it.

I'll stop hijacking the thread now.

You know, I generally disapprove of this sort of thing, and normally I'd say just go buy the **** book - but 100-ish bucks is unreasonable!

The prices are high and I have heard of people using torrents to get PDF copies of the books, but that would be up to you. I have heard that not all PDF copies are equal.

"Knight Level" play will probably be an interest for you. In the Beta it was included in the main book, but the F&D announcement says it will now be in the GM screen/kit.

In the Beta Knight Level was a bit of a sticky wicket, so I suggest doing a little research on it. There's a lot of difference of opinion on what Knight Level should mean, and most points are valid from a certain point of view. So (depending o what the finalized rules say) it's really best to do your homework before making a call on how you want to roll to avoid unpleasant side effects, or at the very least not be surprised by them.

West End Games (d6) and Wizards of the Coast (d20 Saga) both produced appropriate books for these time periods. Granted neither are for this game system, but it's better then nothing!

I look at Star Wars the same way I look at Forgotten Realms, the AD&D stuff is more useful then the 4/5e stuff.

Edited by SirUrza