First!

By Maelora, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

I'm now 2 years from 50 and I'll be damned before I admit I've grown up!

Wow, I'm usually the old guy in the group these days. I feel so invigorated!

You all beat me. I'm 35. Though safe to say I'm the old man of the group I'm in.

The guy running our EoE book is probably going to get F&D (which I plan to call it instead of FaD = fad) when it's fully out but that's because he's a completionist. And a Lego fan.

Just like me, which is why I like him.

Yet another set of dice ... can never have enough dice! And more maps. Awesome!

I do agree with the OP in that these Beginner Games are a great deal. They do a really good job of introducing the rules incrementally too.

I'm looking forward to a heavier dice bag. =)

Z

Having gotten into this game franchise after the two previous corebooks had been released, I'm curious what the typical lag time between the beginners set and the core book has been. How long between the beginner game and the corebook can we be expecting?

Having gotten into this game franchise after the two previous corebooks had been released, I'm curious what the typical lag time between the beginners set and the core book has been. How long between the beginner game and the corebook can we be expecting?

Well, the time lag between the EotE Beginner Box and core rulebook was around 6 months, as the box was released in December and the corebook didn't come out until early July of the following year.

The time lag for the AoR Beginner Box to that core rulebook was far more reasonable, being only a couple of months, with the box dropping in May and the corebook being released towards the end of June.

I figure that we'll only see a two month delay between the FaD Beginner Box and the core rulebook being released.

You all beat me. I'm 35. Though safe to say I'm the old man of the group I'm in.

I'm 42 and the youngest person in my gaming group.

I’m 49, and old enough to be the Dad (or grand-dad) of just about everyone else in my group.

I’m 49, and old enough to be the Dad (or grand-dad) of just about everyone else in my group.

In my group we're all over 50 :P

Looks like a good excuse to pick up a 5th set of dice. Although, that means my dice will not be evenly divisible, so I guess I'll then have to get a 6th.

Somewhere along the way, I lost one yellow die out of my 3 sets. You have NO idea how badly I've been obsessing on this fact since I discovered it. It burns in the back of my brain ever time the dice come out. . . .

I wonder if FFG will sell me just one. . . . .

I've always found the beginner's boxes great value. I sometimes teach new gamers the rules, and I can always use tokens, dice and maps.

Plus, as games go, they're not too bad - for what they are, I mean. And even vets can find use for them! I'm filing the serial numbers off of the AoR beginner game, replacing Imperials with Mandolorians and using bits and pieces as part of a much larger game just this weekend. And I'll probably do the same when the F&D one drops.

Edited by Desslok

Somewhere along the way, I lost one yellow die out of my 3 sets. You have NO idea how badly I've been obsessing on this fact since I discovered it. It burns in the back of my brain ever time the dice come out. . . .

I share your pain. One of my players took home one of my challenge dice. When I realized what he had done, I had him bring it back to me before the next game. In all fairness he was already coming over to hang out anyway.

Plus, as games go, they're not too bad - for what they are, I mean. And even vets can find use for them! I'm filing the serial numbers off of the AoR beginner game, replacing Imperials with Mandolorians and using bits and pieces as part of a much larger game just this weekend. And I'll probably do the same when the F&D one drops.

The AoR beginner game actually makes for a good modular adventure. The basic premise of storming a base is a common part of RPGs.

I do hope this gets to us before the end of May as I run the beginner boxes at MomoCon and would love to add this one to the mix of options. I will also be bringing out Shadowrun Beginner Box, as I like to see myself as an introducer to gaming not necessarily an expert in one system. I leave that to folks like Donovan and DarthGM and others like them who have a much better understanding of game design then I ever will. What I like is the art at the top of the home page where you don't see everybody wielding a lightsaber. I think this and the product itself will help people understand that force users are not limited to lightsabers. Drove my GM nuts in Saga when I refused to draw my lightsaber even when it was obvious combat was about to begin.

Well, the time lag between the EotE Beginner Box and core rulebook was around 6 months, as the box was released in December and the corebook didn't come out until early July of the following year.

The time lag for the AoR Beginner Box to that core rulebook was far more reasonable, being only a couple of months, with the box dropping in May and the corebook being released towards the end of June.

I figure that we'll only see a two month delay between the FaD Beginner Box and the core rulebook being released.

I totally agree with this! Saying that the only reason I can see for a longer delay is that there could be shipping issue. It may no effect as many International Customers, but for those of us in the US anything FFG Products Shipping in from China could possibly have a delay. Most of it should be worked out by now, but I would not be surprised with a slight delay.

In my group we're all over 50 :P

Oldest in my group is 35 and the youngest is 19. ages to be exact is 35, 30, 25, 22, 21, and 19 that play in the star wars rpg groups, but have more that play the 40k line also.

I share your pain. One of my players took home one of my challenge dice. When I realized what he had done, I had him bring it back to me before the next game. In all fairness he was already coming over to hang out anyway.

The AoR beginner game actually makes for a good modular adventure. The basic premise of storming a base is a common part of RPGs.

Ugh. I've been missing a Difficulty die since last summer. Even after I buy this game, I doubt the void in my heart will have been filled....

1 missing Boost die here. :P

Bought a spare set even after both beginner box sets and a set of dice for the card covering they released with the Edge Beta! :)

So how long before they release any more information on this new Beginner Set?

It'll probably be at least another couple months. I'd say March is probably the earliest we could realistically expect to start seeing new articles with more information, and even then that depends on how much info they want to release. If they only news article they have planned is the "it's out and in stores now!" then we probably won't see anything until it's released.

Bought a spare set even after both beginner box sets and a set of dice for the card covering they released with the Edge Beta! :)

So how long before they release any more information on this new Beginner Set?

The EotE Beginner game had 5 news articles before the "It's Released" Article, and the AoR Beginner Game had 3. So yeah, hard to tell. If you go to the News section of this site and search by product, you can sort of get a sense for how they structure their article releases, but there's really not much of a pattern going on there :)

Bound to help people who are struggling to come up with an idea as to why a bunch of Force-sensitives are chumming around the galaxy together in the original movie era.

Yeah. I think banding together for mutual protection and survival is the most obvious.

I'm thinking a good campaign idea would be something like an underground railroad, where force sensitives and mundanes have worked together across the galaxy to save force sensitive children and escaped Jedi, and even alien force users of a different tradition by creating safe houses, secure methods of travel to keep one step ahead of the empire's inquisitors and bounty hunters.