City map with top card of deck faceup

By [email protected], in CoC Rules Discussion

I have a City map in play:

Type:Support
Faction:Syndicate
Cost:1
Card Text:
Item.
Action: Exhaust City Map to search the top 5 cards of your deck for a Tactic event card and add it to your hand. Put the rest of the cards on the bottom of your deck in any order.
Set:
Denizens of the Underworld
My opponent have the Prism of Many Views in play
Prism of Many Views
Endless Visions
Type: Support Faction: Yog-Sothoth
Cost: 2
Game Text:
Artifact.
Each player plays with the top card of their deck faceup.
Action: Exhaust Prisim of Many Views to discard the top card of a player's deck.
Flavor Text: "Tampering with the future can be a dangerous thing."
Set: TTB
Number: 20
Illustrator: Shane M. Tyree

I search about five card, byt I think my opponent only can see the first card. It is correct?

While the game rules make a distinction between drawing, searching, and revealing cards, I believe the following section would apply to City Map, as well:

If I use Alyssa Graham’s ability during
the draw phase on my opponent to
discard a card does my opponent get
to draw another card? What if I use it
on my turn to disrupt my draw to put a
card on the top of my discard pile, do I
get to draw that card?

A draw effect works in two parts, first
is the initiation of the effect and then
the execution which adds the top card
to that player’s hand. Alyssa Graham’s
ability triggers after a the card draw
effect has been initiated but disrupts the
act of adding the top card of a player’s
hand. If the card that is supposed to be
added to that player’s hand is discarded
the draw effect has not been canceled
or replaced so they would still add the
“new” top card of the deck to his hand.
The same goes for you disrupting your
own draw and placing the card from
your discard pile on top of your draw
deck. When the draw effect executes,
the top card of your deck (the card that
had been the top card in your discard
pile) is now added to your hand.

Thus, your opponent would get to see each card as you 'draw' it. Since the Prism's of Many Views' effect is an Action, there's no way to affect any of the cards until the City Map's Action has concluded, though.

What's also interesting to note is that the deck has to be shuffled after concluding City Map's Action, making it irrelevant what happened to the cards you put on the bottom of your deck:

(2.11) Searching the Deck
If a card effect allows a player to search
his deck, he must shuffle his deck
afterwards
. If a card effect allows you
to search your deck for a specific type
of card and add it to your hand you
must first reveal that card. If a searched
card does not have an effect that places
it in another game area, it remains in
your deck.
Edited by jhaelen

I think you are searching the top 5 cards of your deck, not searching the deck, so you wouldn't shuffle, as these two things are different, even though they both involve the words search and deck.

What's also interesting to note is that the deck has to be shuffled after concluding City Map's Action, making it irrelevant what happened to the cards you put on the bottom of your deck:

Action: Exhaust City Map to search the top 5 cards of your deck for a Tactic event card and add it to your hand. Put the rest of the cards on the bottom of your deck in any order.

See the official ruling for Museum Curator, which works the same way, here .

Not quite correct, jhaelen. You do have to shuffle following any search, but for City Map you shuffle upon completion of the first part of its Action: Exhaust City Map to search the top 5 cards of your deck for a Tactic event card and add it to your hand. Then you complete the second part: Put the rest of the cards on the bottom of your deck in any order.

See the official ruling for Museum Curator, which works the same way, here .

Oops, looks like I misremembered how the effect is properly resolved. This makes more sense, thanks for the correction!