Big swarm, no Howl.

By WWHSD, in X-Wing Squad Lists

After reading a discussion about Howlrunner and Swarms I figured I'd take a crack at putting together a swarm list that isn't as dependent on formation flying but still has some damage potential.

I tried to spread the points around to remove the one big obvious target of Howlrunner while still maintaining big swarm numbers. Intimidation was added to the Black Squadron Pilots in attempt to boost damage output to make up for not having Howlrunner's rerolls. Also, I love the idea behind Intimidation and figured a TIE swarm would probably be the type of list it's most likely to pay off in since there's a lot of guns to put on a target and the squad isn't hurt too badly by a single ship losing an action and not being able to shoot at the target.

"Dark Curse" (16)

"Backstabber" (16)

Black Squadron Pilot (14)

Intimidation (2)

Intimidation (2)

Academy Pilot (12)

Academy Pilot (12)

Academy Pilot (12)

Total: 100

TIE swarms have been around forever and I know that this isn't a revolutionary list or anything but does anyone have suggestions on what should be swapped out to improve the effectiveness of the list?

I love intimidation on the BSPs. That should increase the damage of the swarm substantially. I'm not a huge Dark Curse fan, but that's personal preference.

I love intimidation on the BSPs. That should increase the damage of the swarm substantially. I'm not a huge Dark Curse fan, but that's personal preference.

I prefer Backstabber to Dark Curse but figured that having a PS 6 wingman for Backstabber to flank with would be a nice option. He could always be swapped out for a 3rd BSP with Intimidation.

Looks solid, We see a lot of 5X Academy Pilots 2 Bombers with 4 points of torpedoes. They have this big flashing sign saying shoot me on them but its hard with 6 hull at long range.

My preference might be to drop the black squadrons to APs and make an AP a Bomber, just because they are rather good in the mix even naked.

I've been trying out 7xAP with 1xBSP w/ Intimidation and been liking it. Sure it's harder to trigger the agility loss but it's more of just a bonus when it happens anyway.

id be tempted to run more black squads with intimidation probably switch dark curse for another one and just bump n shoot heh, black squads and bombers sounds good to id like to give that a try.

Well, since this goes back to the other thread that I posted in, here were my thoughts that kicked this off. I never fly all my Tie Fighters in one giant block. I think it limits some of the most powerful use of them.

So,by out-of-formation, do you also mean spread out at range >1 from one another to remain safe from Assault Missiles and Ruthlessness?

Well...not just for that reason, but yes.

The way I fly Tie Swarms is to have at least two groups of Tie Fighters. They are either equal or one is a flanker. The main group flies straight on at the enemy formation while the flankers come in on the sides. The enemy will go after one or the other. Whoever they go after, that group slows down considerably. The other group speeds up very fast. The idea is to have them facing at one group as the other hits them in the flank. After that first pass, everyone just breaks formation and....well....swarms.

I've also done it with three groups of two, but it's been harder to get right. It's too easy for one group to get smashed alone.

I like to have a couple of Academy Pilots to stick in front of other ships and try to trip them up. I then have a few other Tie Fighters ready to take advantage if that happens and firing (from outside of arc) at the bumped ships. It might take some getting used to when planning your dials, but all the Tie Fighters can do a variety of cool manuevers. Sharp turns and barrel rolls are great. Anything to stay out of an arc.....or to try to bump someone. I'll barrel roll into where I think someone is going to go if I think it will help. When you have 6 or so Tie Fighters swarming enemy ships, it can be difficult for them to plan on where to go, especially if they know you like to bump them. You can really limit people's options when you do that.

Some of the named Tie Pilots really stand out in this type of environment. Backstabber is amazing! If you can get him on the flank of the enemy and out of their arc and just firing at a safe Range 2, then he's golden. Mauler Mithel is great like this, but he can get expensive. Still, if you are able to get within Range 1 and not in their arc, he will put some hurt on a ship. My favorite ship to use in the front of the standard group is Dark Curse. If I can arrange it so that he's the only one in range, I'll giggle as the enemy tries to TL or Focus on him while my flankers hit them. Even Night Beast will shine when he green moves and can Focus and something else (barrel roll or evade).

The first pass is the most brutal, which is why it's important to try to hit your enemy before they can hit your main formation. You will lose ships as you won't always be clever enough to stay out of their firing arcs and they will get lucky. Still, the number of times I've had one Tie vs. one of theirs and just sharp turn, barrel roll to keep firing 2 shots at them each turn.

I admit that it's not as tournament effective these days with the whole idea of how many ships you lose. Still, it's a ton of fun and very thematic. It's not all about the tournament.

For a swarm that flys like you describe I think some like this may work out well.
"Dark Curse" (16)
"Backstabber" (16)
Intimidation (2)
Intimidation (2)
Academy Pilot (12)
Academy Pilot (12)
Academy Pilot (12)
Total: 100
You've got a few different options of how to group your TIEs based on what you'll be facing. Dark Curse and Backstabber make a nice team to send up a flank with the others sticking together in a larger mass. If you want two more equal groups you can shift one of the Black Squads over to your flanking group. That gives you more even numbers and a ship with Intimidation in each group.

I don't think Backstabber and Dark Curse should go well together as flankers. If the enemy fires at them.....they go for Backstabber, which is what you do not want at all.

The problem with Tie Fighters against....well...anything, is that the first pass is brutal. If you can manage to get just Dark Curse as the guy in range....or at range 2....and they attack him, then you stand a good chance of not losing a ship in that first volley. People just forget about Dark Curse's ability. "What's he do again?" is something that I love hearing. He's great not because he kills things....but because he can keep other things from not getting killed. He's your tool to use on the approach as you then get all your other guys into position. For example, you need to use your Black Squadron guys to bump, but getting in range can be tough. Using Dark Curse at the front usually keeps a ship alive and then you can bump the heck out of whatever it is you need to blast.

To me, flying a Tie Swarm is fantastic if you don't fly in formation. Well, I usually fly in somewhat of a formation on the approach, but never as one solid block.

EDIT: Oh, if you can get Outmanuever on any Tie Fighter, you should do well (if you are vaporized in the first pass). If only Backstabber could take an EPT....he would be called OP. Still, Mauler Mithel is downright brutal if he gets 4 dice and -1 green for you. Still, a lot of points on one guy.

Edited by heychadwick

I don't think Backstabber and Dark Curse should go well together as flankers. If the enemy fires at them.....they go for Backstabber, which is what you do not want at all.

It doesn't matter what TIE you send flanking with Backstabber, Backstabber is always going to be the priority target. I like them together because they are at the same PS which I find helpful once the engagement is in full swing. I'd have Backstabber on the outside of the pair so that I'm generally offering a closer shot at Dark Curse than I am Backstabber. It creates the dilemma of "Do I throw 4 unmodified dice at Dark Curse or 3 dice I can modify at Backstabber."