looking to build a Tau deck

By Dagger Squadron, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest - Strategy

Alright, I have a core set and the first warlord pack and I want to build a solid tau deck for semi casual play and I thought I would get your opinions on what I should put in it.

Well my initial question is, are you willing to include more Coresets to your collection, if not I would try and maximize the cards out of your Warpack.

Apart from that I think it's also important to focus on which Tau Warlord you are willing to play. If Shadowsun is your pick I'd say try to trade more Core set cards for him and if Aun'Shi is your pick you should continue getting the upcomming Warpacks aswell.

Looking forward to your reply!

I like the looks of both but primarily Shadow sun for now. I plan on getting a second core set but that's a ways down the line.

Army Unit (34)

2x Altansar Rangers (Core Set)

3x Aun’ui Prelate (The Howl of Blackmane)

3x Earth Caste Technician (Core Set)

3x Eldar Survivalist (Core Set)

2x Fire Warrior Elite (Core Set)

2x Gun Drones (Core Set)

2x Recon Drone (Core Set)

4x Shadowsun’s Stealth Cadre (Core Set)

2x Stingwing Swarm (Core Set)

2x Vash’ya Trailblazer (Core Set)

2x Vior’la Marksman (Core Set)

Attachment (7)

1x Command-link Drone (Core Set)

2x Ion Rifle (Core Set)

2x Repulsor Impact Field (Core Set)

Event (5)

2x Deception (Core Set)

2x Squadron Redeployment (Core Set)

Support (4)

2x Ambush Platform (Core Set)

1x Communications Relay (Core Set)

I found this deck on the site mentioned in the Deck building 2014 thread and I can borrow another core sets worth of Tau but that still leaves some gaps. Thoughts?

Edited by Dagger Squadron

Seems like a very solid deck to start with! Which is a great choice imho.

I modified the list and I am 11 cards short of 50. I am thinking of adding in Mobility from Eldar and promotion and Void Pirate.

Mobility got nixed, it's a signature squad card

If you're running off a smaller cardpool, I'd definitely recommend adding 2 each of the Rogue Traders, Void Pirates and Promotions.

Most 3x core Shadowsun decks will run 3 Void Pirates, 3 Recon Drones and 2-3 Promotions.

Cardgamedb is kinda slow at present, but when its back running, I'll post my current Shadowsun build here.

Ok here we are, with some explanations.

---

TAU / ELDAR GUNLINE

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Warhammer 40,000: Conquest Deckbuilder

Total Cards: (50)

Warlord:

1x Commander Shadowsun (Core Set)

Army Unit: (31)

Almost always played as attachments via Shadowsun's ability. Deploy as unit only in extremis.

3x Altansar Rangers (Core Set)

3x Stingwing Swarm (Core Set)

3x Vior’la Marksman (Core Set)

The Ranged brigade. Boost their attack, or simply give them AoE with Gun Drones. This is the Mont'ka! Shoot em up!

2x Crisis Battle Guard (Core Set)

The place to dump excess resources late game. Typical play: win command at an adjacent planet, sometimes Shadowsun gives them a Cadre boost, then Mobile them into planet 1 or keep them in place, depending on opposing forces.

3x Recon Drone (Core Set)
3x Vash’ya Trailblazer (Core Set)

3x Void Pirate (Core Set)

The command component. Tau's greatest strength.

1x Fireblade Kais’Vre (Core Set)
3x Gun Drones (Core Set)

Just because they're really good cards.

Attachment: (10)

3x Banshee Power Sword (Core Set)
3x Ion Rifle (Core Set)
3x Repulsor Impact Field (Core Set)

Banshee Power Sword is the latest addition to the deck, and the least tested one. I am growing to believe in its benefits, even if it can't be put into play by Shadowsun, it can still be ambushed in with the Platform, and its discards help facilitate efficient Shadowsun plays, and to turn excessively large late game hands into combat advantage.

Those who aren't sold by the BPS can sub in Promotion instead, which is great in a different way, though clashes with the Limited of Recon Drone occasionally.

Event: (5)

3x Deception (Core Set)

With two shields and a strong effect, Deception is an auto x3.

Many players believe in Doom as an include - I find I tend to have more resources tied up in the Warlord Train than my opponent, so rarely get to use it.

Support: (4)

3x Ambush Platform (Core Set)

Ambush Platform is the heart of the deck. You win battles with this card, as the only thing better than "AOE 2 with Ranged" is "AOE 2 with Ranged as a surprise."

The overall idea here is that Tau are great at command, so have a high chance of getting 30-40 cards through the deck by turns 4-6. This is when you start dominating the game through assembled combos. Eldar may better in the long game, and Chaos better in the short one, but no-one dominates the mid-game like Tau.

You need to know your opponent to play this deck. If you suspect Doom, then play the longer game. If you suspect Exterminatus, play the shorter one. If you are expecting Archon's Terror, then try to avoid the game defining mega-battle till you can get Comms Relay. And so on.

Edited by Prepare for War

no Fire Warrior Elite? I always liked having a Repulsor on the Fire Warrior Elite, it is a very sick combo

Banshee Power Sword isnt that amazing once you realize Ion Rifle does the same for pretty much cheaper, and can be attached via Shadowsun's ability.

and while you are in Eldar territory, why not chuck in 1 or 2 Doom as well. Kinda awesum when you get to pull it off, still a 1 shield when you dont

Edited by Duraham

Thanks for the input. I did toss in 2 of promotion and Void Pirate last time I played but unfortunately my opponent was playing chaos and the game was a very short 3 rounds.

New meta, new deck. This is how I'm currently looking:

Total Cards: (50)

Warlord:
1x Commander Shadowsun (Core Set)

Army Unit: (34)
2x Crisis Battle Guard (Core Set)
1x Fireblade Kais’Vre (Core Set)
3x Gun Drones (Core Set)
3x Recon Drone (Core Set)
3x Rogue Trader (Core Set)
3x Stingwing Swarm (Core Set)
3x Vash’ya Trailblazer (Core Set)
3x Vior’la Marksman (Core Set)
3x Void Pirate (Core Set)
3x Altansar Rangers (Core Set)

Attachment: (7)
3x Ion Rifle (Core Set)
3x Repulsor Impact Field (Core Set)

Event: (5)
3x Deception (Core Set)

Support: (4)
3x Ambush Platform (Core Set)

Over on cardgamedb, much discussions about the value of Even the Odds . I appreciate its strength and value, but still can't find room for it myself.

Experience is also telling me that more than 30 units are needed, as we can't count Gun Drones or Cadre as being units primarily. If we are forced to play them as units, that generally means something is going wrong.

Also there have posted an experimental deck that combines Fenrisian Wolves with Experimental Devilfish. I haven't convinced myself on the concept yet, as while its not a bad play to Ambush Platform in, its not worth weakening a deck for, in that it requires a very different Units build.