4 bomber list

By force kin, in X-Wing Squad Lists

I've got four bombers. What's a good way to use them?

Onlybhave two prox mines.

A Fatty Swarm?

4 x Scimitar

Howl Runner w/Swarm Tactics

Backstabber

Edited by WWHSD

2 x Scimitar w/Siesmic Charge + Flechette Torpedo

2 x Scimitar w/Proximity Mines + Flechette Torpedo

Howlrunner

2 x Scimitar w/Siesmic Charge

2 x Scimitar w/Proximity Mines

Omicron w/Vader and Tactical Jammer

A Fatty Swarm?

4 x Scimitar

Howl Runner w/Swarm Tactics

Backstabber

For this list, you could also make Backstabber into a BSP with Draw Their Fire to help Howl live a little longer. Alternatively, downgrade Backstabber to some lesser TIE and drop Swarm Tactics for something else to keep Howl alive, maybe Push the Limit. Firing earlier isn't really going to matter with the Bombers. They're pretty tough for their points. The difficulty will be keeping Howlrunner going.

I have 4 bombers as well, and this is a list I play that I find a lot of fun:

Scimitar Squadron Piot + Seismic Charge + Cluster Missiles +Proton Rockets = 25 points

Scimitar Squadron Pilot + Seismic Charge + Cluster Missiles +Proton Rockets = 25 points

Scimitar Squadron Piot + Seismic Charge + Cluster Missiles +Proton Rockets = 25 points

Scimitar Squadron Pilot + Seismic Charge + Cluster Missiles +Proton Rockets = 25 points

Seismic Charges are awesome and are, oftentimes, underestimated. I love me some Cluster Missiles for striping focus and/or evade tokens and then you hit then with the second attack. Or, ideally, hit them wih a second set of Cluster Missiles from a second bomber and really do some damage. Find yourself at range 1? No problem. Prockets to the rescue. It's a fun and tanky list for sure.

Best that I've seen:

5x Gamma + Seismic Charges.

You could theoretically replace one of these with Howlrunner with 2 points of extra survival, if you wish.

Best you've seen how?

I'm giving serious thought the entering s tournament with a 4 bomber plus whatever list.

I won a regional with

Jonus - VI, homing missile, Seismics

2 x Scimitar Squadron Pilot - Assault missile, Seismics

1 x Scimitar Squadron Pilot - Proton Torp (or concussion if you like), Seismics.

97pts

It can hit hard with an initial volley and deals well with swarms and big ships. Though in the new meta will have problems with Phantoms. You could downgrade an Assault missile or two as swarms have been in decline and change the bombs all to proximity mines which could do wonders against one if played right.

I recently played in a 300 points/epic 3 vs 3 match with:

Captain Jonus + Determination (you don't want to lose his ability) + seismic charge

3x Scimitar squadron pilot + Cluster missiles + Flechette Torpedoes + seismic charge

Total 97 points

You can discard the flechettes when hit with the critical damage which says to remove a sceondary weapon.

Cluster Missiles in combination with Jonus is brilliant.

And as many, more experienced, regular bomber flyers have said, people forget bombs :-)

Run straight in, fire clusters, if you still have them, fire flechettes. By the time whatever remains of your opponent flies behind you, drop the seismic charges, preferably all at once, spread in such a way your opponents has no escape.

Seismic Charges are awesome and are, oftentimes, underestimated. I love me some Cluster Missiles for striping focus and/or evade tokens and then you hit then with the second attack. Or, ideally, hit them wih a second set of Cluster Missiles from a second bomber and really do some damage. Find yourself at range 1? No problem. Prockets to the rescue. It's a fun and tanky list for sure.

Your ships would be dead before you got half that ordinance off in a regular game. In an epic game it might work

I won a regional with

Jonus - VI, homing missile, Seismics

2 x Scimitar Squadron Pilot - Assault missile, Seismics

1 x Scimitar Squadron Pilot - Proton Torp (or concussion if you like), Seismics.

97pts

It can hit hard with an initial volley and deals well with swarms and big ships. Though in the new meta will have problems with Phantoms. You could downgrade an Assault missile or two as swarms have been in decline and change the bombs all to proximity mines which could do wonders against one if played right.

I had a friend who ran a shuttle with 3 bombers and he took my decimator out really quick but then Whisper just flew circles around him

Your ships would be dead before you got half that ordinance off in a regular game. In an epic game it might work

Not quite true, my friend, I managed to get off 60% of my ordinance before I died. :P

In all seriousness, one game of awesomeness does not make up for the 2 or 3 games where this list simply did okay, So yeah, after last night, I'm of the opinion this list sucks in terms of competitive play. The problem being, being able to get off all the ordinance before you die, lol.

I think if I were to tweak this, I would probably lose one ordinance per ship, and maybe upgrade one of the bombers to either Captain Jonus or Major Rhymer. Of course, the prockets are 12 points total for all 4 ships, so I could just ditch those and add in an Academy Tie just for numbers sake I guess.

Edited by rym

Best you've seen how?

I'm giving serious thought the entering s tournament with a 4 bomber plus whatever list.

The 5x Gamma Seismic list relies and maximizes what the Bomber does best.

• Survivability: The Scimitar has the best cost-to-survivability ratio in the game with 6 hp behind 2 dice. Even by adding 4 more points to each ship, we've still got 30 hp behind a 2 agility wall: halfway between 7 and 8 Z-95s.
  • Unpredictability: The Bomber has a very weird dial, and the Barrel-Roll action adds extra insanity to it. Having a high PS aids in this endeavor, as your opponents have a much narrower window of pilots who can properly react. Keep in mind, this was during the mid-PS meta of Wave 3.
  • Bombs: The Seismic Charge is the best damage-to-cost ratio in the game, even as expendable ordnance. In a 100 point game, one of these has the potential to blow 8 damage to your opposing fleet. You're running 5 of them here, for a total possible 40.
    • Now, I know that ain't exactly likely, but that's the second, shadier benefit of Bombs: They keep your opponents off of your 6, out of fear of your ability to lay eggs in their face. Your highly unpredictable ship suddenly has opponents wanting to keep to your side, rather than behind. Use this.
    • Moreover, the PS bid aids the bombs as well, as you'll be planting them effectively far more often.
  • Cost: The Bomber is in the second-cheapest tier of ship, which means you can run it in greater numbers. Five of these almost give it a Swarm-like damage output. Combine this with the increased damage from the Seismics, and the increased number of times your opponent winds up in your arc from the unpredictability and you guiding them off your 6 with the Seismics, and I'll say its on par. Then, add how many more rounds of fire it takes to kill a single Bomber..... You see where I'm going with this.