Legends of the Expanse (RT Ascension)

By LodgeBlackman99, in Rogue Trader House Rules

I've just finished another fan supplement entitled Legends of the Expanse. It provides three new Career Ranks for each of the Career Paths presented in the Rogue Trader Core Rulebook, bringing their Experience Total to match those presented in Dark Heresy: Ascension and Deathwatch. The guide can be found here .

I've created several new talents that add to the flavor of each class and enhance their special abilities, hopefully without making them too powerful. Also included are new weapons, both melee and ranged, new gear, new ammunition, and new upgrades. These were largely designed to help bring Ranged Weaponry up a bit in power scale, as it seems to fall by the wayside as the ranks progress in many cases.

As always, any feedback regarding layout, typos, or balance concerns can be brought to my attention here, on my site, or via email. I hope you all enjoy the new guide!

Just finished two minor changes to the guide:

Fixed typo on Arch Militant Career Path title

Swapped out Swift Attack in Arch Militant Career Path for Stalwart Defense

Has there been any feedback to report regarding the guide so far?

No Love for the Freebooter? Bohoo

I recommend maybe raising the Threshold for rank or the cost for abilities, since in general RT is more expensive than DH. Otherwise it seems good. My players are approaching Ascension level, but aren't there yet so I can't actually have any playtesting experience unfortunately.

Erathia: Actually the advancement cost for attributes for both Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader is the same, just check and compare the Rogue Trader and Dark Heresy Core Rulebook advances. In both the advances cost as follows:

Cheap - 100, 250, 500, 750

Average - 250, 500, 750, 1000

Expensive - 500, 750, 1000, 2500

Since the numbers match I didn't see any reason to change anything.

Darth Smeg: I do plan to add progressions of all the official Xenos races as well, but it is not high on my list of plans at the moment. I will try to have it done eventually though!

Sorry, I meant things like Skills/Talents, not Characteristics. With some time to think about it I don't think any EXP or rank adjustment are needed though.

I'd also like a Weirdboyz elite class. Hopefully with a Talent that gives you a flat 1% chance to have your head explode any time you use a Psychic Power

Hello again everyone, I have just completed a colossal revision of the Legends of the Expanse supplement and added in an enormous amount of new material (90 pages worth to be precise). The guide now includes:

• Rules for Expanded Ranks, which bring the experience totals of Rogue Trader up to those of Dark Heresy Ascension and Deathwatch.
  • Three new Career Paths complete with Expanded Ranks, the Adepta Sororitas, Arbitrator, and Assassin.
  • Expanded Career Paths for each Core Rulebook Career Path and each official Xeno Career Path.
  • Massively expanded armory including new Melee Weapons, Ranged Weapons, Armor, Shields, Gear, Tools, and Cybernetics.
  • An expanded Vehicle section that brings you the statistics of some of dozens of the most deadly vehicles and weaponry in the galaxy.

As always any feedback is welcome and appreciated regarding any aspect of the guide, including design, typos, balance concerns, questions about rules, or anything else. Just send me an email or post it here in the forum and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

Looks very nice, mr LodgeBlackman99, sir!

I've just briefly looked at the Freebooter section, and have one little question. Why do all orks at Rank 9-10 gain many of the skills from alternate Rank Mekboy (Tech-Use, Trade (Armourer), but NOT the corresponding skills from the Commando Rank (Silent Move, Concealment, etc)?

Odda dan dat, 'ts a good 'un! I like the creative Ork-Talents too! Very nice :)

• An expanded Vehicle section that brings you the statistics of some of dozens of the most deadly vehicles and weaponry in the galaxy.

I assume there's an official Baneblade somewhere, since I don't see it in your rules?

P.S. Ever considered removing the background on pictures with no actual background (all white, for example)? I think it would look much better.

Edited by Elavion

Darth Smeg: The reason for that is so that they qualify for the Armour Monger talent without having to take an Alternate Rank, it makes the purchasing easier. Thank you for the compliment! I'm glad the that the new talents meet expectations, that was one of the parts I was most worried about.

Elavion: Baneblade statistics are located on page 103 of the guide, and it's sister tank the Shadowsword is located on page 122. In regards to the images if I had better image editing software than MS paint I absolutely would, but for the time being I'm operating with free to use software and I haven't really bothered to research free photoshop equivalents. If you have any program suggestions I'd definitely love to go back through and clean up all the images in each guide eventually.

Edited by LodgeBlackman99

Baneblade statistics are located on page 103 of the guide

Guess I'm just blind :P

If you have any program suggestions I'd definitely love to go back through and clean up all the images in each guide eventually.

Gimp? It's free and pretty simple, but it has all the crucial features of photoshop.

Thanks for the tip Elavion, I appreciate it! I'll download and install it today and start learning it. We'll see if my next guide revisions won't look a bit cleaner!

Edit: Today was a day spent learning and learn I did! I've spend time cleaning up every image with a white background in Legends of the Expanse and creating a new cover page that makes it look more akin to a print 40k book. GIMP was a fantastic suggestion Elavion and it definitely makes the guides look much more polished and professional, I can't thank you enough!

I've started glancing over this. It looks very professional, excellent work thus far!

A typo on p7, Rank 2 is in the titles of both the Rank 1 and Rank 2 boxes.

Edited by Decessor

GIMP was a fantastic suggestion Elavion and it definitely makes the guides look much more polished and professional, I can't thank you enough!

Oh, you :wub:

Besides, I owe you for the page background :D

Edited by Elavion

Decessor, excellent catch! Somehow I managed to place the Rank 2 file twice instead of the rank 1. Fixing that now and will have a revision uploaded soon, and has now been uploaded.

Elavion, not a problem I'm happy to have helped! The way I figure it we've got a good game community here and it's always good to help each other out. I might actually just make a page with a bunch of the templates that I use so that anyone can have them, I've been meaning to do that so that everyone has a good option for fan supplements. I'll do that later today after I finish more job applications and errands.

A new revision of Legends of the Expanse is now up. This overhaul was mostly cosmetic changes and a minor balance change thanks to some feedback from one of the fans.

• Added in homebrew versus official lore clarification
  • Redid Assassin special ability to +3 Inititative, +3 Damage
  • Redid Assassin specific talents to reflect change
  • Replaced low quality images with higher quality
  • Resized Career Path Tables to better fit on pages
  • Redid placement on images/text cut off

Hope everyone enjoys the new additions to the guide, happy gaming!