Space Hulk

By Misha, in Deathwatch Gamemasters

Hello everybody! I have just got Space Hulk fourth edition and I am loving it. So I had a bit of an idea. I am planning to set a mini-campaign just on a Space Hulk, The Hand of Wrath . Here are a few questions/ideas for my mini-campaign.

1. My group is happy to all be one chapter, mainly for the chapter abilities. Which chapter they do not know. Any ideas for chapter that would go into a Space Hulk?

2. I'm planning to give them all terminator gear, extra Xp and a storm bolter and powerfist as starting gear. How much extra requisition should I give them? What rank should they be?

3. What enemy/ies should be in the Space Hulk? I was thinking of something less cliche like maybe a feral race or something like that. However my group are fine with the usual genestealers, orks and daemons. What do you think?

4. Because of their terminator gear I'm going have to change their specialities so they don't start with useleuss skills and talents. Any ideas?

If you have extra ideas please add them because so far its unpolished. Oh, and the group is not being in Deathwatch.

Edited by Misha

1 I don't think there's a chapter that wont board a space hulk. Blood angels an dark angels are the ones most closely asociated with space hulk (the boardgame) other ones include Ultramarines, Scythes of the emperor (tyranid hunters) Reclaimers, Relictors (exploration, reclaiming archeotech)

2 I don't know really, but you should give them the option to cary the assault squad weapons (storm shield, thunderhammer, lightning claws) aswell. And make sure they can take chainfists, heavy flamers and assault canons.

3. On one hand i'd be tempted to just let em fight genstealers for the first game, just so they can the classic space hulk experience. Maybe throw in a brood lord, genestealer hybrids and perhaps a lictor.

I like the idea of a feral race, maybe mutants decended from the ships original crew. Ogryn vs terminator wrestling match anyone? How about a small chaos marine warband with a dreadnought (as a nod to the old MB space crusade game)

If you want to throw them for a loop, have a mostly empty hulk- with a webway portal inside: aaaaand out come the dark eldar/ harlequins/ Aspect warriors (striking scorpions or warp spiders, or if you want to kill your players: fire dragons!)

4. Something that helps them in close combat i'd guess.

Do you have "DW: Ark of lost souls"? It's not only a space hulk adventure, but also has a space hulk mission generator and apropriate NPCs.

Yes I do have 'Ark of Lost Souls', without it the mini-campaign will be a lot harder to make. I like your idea for the webway portal but I'll probably make it even more exotic. Maybe be it could be Yu'thath portal. I am thinking to set the Hand of Wrath in the Koronous Exspanse. I also want an empty feel so the group thinks its empty (or so it seems). I could have a feral race inside the bowels of the Space hulk scraping out a ruined life.

How about a band of Yokaero who are fixing up the place? :D

Or there could be dormant necrons inside.

How about the Tau, they are the last ones you expect on a hulk. Maybe a small squad of earth cast scientists and their fire warrior security became stranded on the hulk they were investigating when the space hulk got pulled back into the warp.

Ur-ghuls. Savage and feral and something diffrent from a 'stealer.

I asume you also have the koronus bestiary. So you can homebrew some nice critters aswell.
Edited by Robin Graves

You go too far! NO Yokaero! Just NO!

You assume correctly and the other ideas (not the Yokaero...) are pretty good. I was thinking of making semi-feral savages (imagine ape-like humans... NO Yokaero!) who keep the Space Hulk functioning in their living zones though barely. Necrons are okay but mehhhh. I want my players to not really recognise the true threat. I like using the idea of Ur-ghul. Make an Ur-ghul chief and such.

Edited by Misha

I was thinking of making semi-feral savages (imagine ape-like humans... NO Yokaero!)

Aahahhaha! That realy made me laugh!

As far as equipment goes, if you are starting them with Terminator Armour and Storm Bolters for free, I would sharply limit any additional Requisition. Maybe even limit them to the stuff from the SH game: 1 Heavy Flamer, 1 Assault Cannon, 1 Power Sword, 1 Auspex. Anything more is likely to turn the mission into a boring cake-walk.

No 'feral' race is going to be able to threaten a Space Marine in Termie armour individually, and probably not even as a Horde. If you want something other than Genestealers as the main enemy, I recommend Necrons. Send the Kill-Team into the 'hulk to investigate strange energy signatures, and use the feral creatures as 'speed bumps' that offer a sharp contrast with the discovery of a dormant Tomb Ship at the heart of the 'hulk- and the Tomb Ship is starting to power up...

Also, I made up some minor 'vermin' to serve as random encounters on a Space Hulk a while back- check out the SPACE HULK VERMIN link in my signature below.

Orks are pretty classic as space hulks denizens.

What about Daemons? if it's been floating around in the Warp then some may call it "home"

Thanks for the ideas. Daemons should be able to present a challenge. Also I can use the interesting Warp effects though I can use them anyway. I think I'll use a mix of enemies. Not too many so it doesn't seem like a madhouse. About feral races, they don't have to be enemies. However... nobody could say no to mutant Ogryns with fully operational Ripper Guns and massive two-handed chainswords. What about Kroot? They are tough enough to live on a Space Hulk. On second thoughts maybe Necrons are a pretty good idea. I like the idea of the squad (not Kill-team) finding a Necron tombworld. However I would have to search for Necron statistics. Anyone got any?

About the equipment requisition the squad will only start with the Space Hulk equipment. This seems fair enough so as not to make them overpowered. However I would like to add one or more special item.

What chapter should the group be. They would all enter one (thanks Robin) but I would like a chapter that would work particularly well. Yes there are Blood Angels but I want more unique and smaller chapters. I will still use them if nothing else comes forth.

DW stats for Necrons are in Edge of the Abyss .

How about Blood angel successor chapters from Honour the chapter/rites of battle?

1 Ultramarines

2 Force commander

3 Gene stealers

I am thinking of making my group Dark Angel and having them explore a daemon infested Space Hulk. Their mission is to retrieve an artefact of some sort but the space hulk has a secret tomb world. The daemons will distract the Necrons enabling the space marines to escape while the space hulk falls around them. I might have a captured/trapped Ultramarine and Flesh Tearer. This should be interesting as a half-mad marine is contained by the failing mind of a once mighty captain. Not too forget I am having hordes of feral mutants (including Ogryns, yay!).

Don't forget: flesh tearers (and other blood angels) succumbed to the black rage start to think they are Sanguinius on the eve of his death at the imperial palace/ Horus battle barge. Immagine the poor dark angels opening up a holding cell and out storms this flesh tearer yelling:

TRAITORS! FEEL THE WRATH OF SANGUINIUS! HORUS! WHERE ARE YOU HORUS! ? YOU WILL PAY FOR YOUR BETRAYAAAAAALLLL! HORUS!!!!!

Edited by Robin Graves

I think a group of Tyrannic War Vet Ultramarines would have fun doing this; I'd also probably try to limit the availability of some gear. Maybe make them take some that would be useful in combat (who doesn't want a chainfist?), but that is really more important for getting through the terrain of the place.

Me being nostalgic, I'd hope for Stealers, at least at first, or along the way. Necrons from Outer Reach could certainly be terrifying, if done well, but I'm not sure if it works well. Part of it is never really reflected beyond flavor text, and it might be less of a thing since the Tomb Kings Newcron upgrade, but the warp is supposed to be anathema to the Necrons, and their C'Tan masters/table decorations, so, while they are effectively sentient robots, I don't know if the power that made that possible, and still might flow through them, would survive direct exposure to the Empyrean, or if it would be like a colossal EMP grenade to the lot present. Maybe if they had some Pariahs around, if you still use those, but otherwise, you have to decide what the warp actually does to Necrons, in your take of the universe. As for Tau, the question shifts to does a space hulk have gellar fields, and do they work in the warp? Tau have no travel through the warp, usually, and certainly no idea why a gellar field is important, how it works, or how to make one. If they didn't happen to stumble upon a hulk with fields, or partial ones, at least, and it translated to the warp along the way, I'd think that they might start looking like the Nazis in Raiders of the Lost Ark, or at least see such images of their fellows, and come out gibbering mental patients, conditioning, or no. Thus, while I can certainly see Tau poking a space hulk for curiosity, I can also see that curiosity coming back with a price. Again, you have to decide how the warp works in your universe. The Imperium needs gellar fields, and it can't JUST be for daemons, and only Navigators can look at the unshielded warp, and not weep tears of blood and madness, so i don't think Tau would fare much better.

My guess is because Tau have so,little psychic power/ warp presence they don't really see anything in the warp.

Tau Air cast pilot *Stares into the warp*: "I don't get it."

They still need Geller fields tough (or some-other-tv-magician field)

Geller fields, reinforced with Tachyon particles. Distinguished from the standard field by the swapping of a single letter, but later reinforced by the addition of a second type of field, which creates a "safety pen" around the ship that keeps daemonic influence even further at bay and makes unfortunate Warp incidents less likely during transit. This new "Penn and Teller field" is a dramatic improvement over Imperium technology, of which the Tau Empire is justly proud, however the Adeptus Mechanicus are already working on an even more advanced design, scrapping the Geller field to build from the ground up under the direction of one Magos Blaine...

Geller fields, reinforced with Tachyon particles. Distinguished from the standard field by the swapping of a single letter, but later reinforced by the addition of a second type of field, which creates a "safety pen" around the ship that keeps daemonic influence even further at bay and makes unfortunate Warp incidents less likely during transit. This new "Penn and Teller field" is a dramatic improvement over Imperium technology, of which the Tau Empire is justly proud, however the Adeptus Mechanicus are already working on an even more advanced design, scrapping the Geller field to build from the ground up under the direction of one Magos Blaine...

Oh not David Blaine! :D

I've always wondered if the imperium coul have used geller fields as a weapon against deamonic forces: Not sure how big the field generator is but if they could mount it on a Capitol Imperialis/ Leviathan/ Imperator titan and then hit daemons with concentrated reality...

If you want genestealers I can change it a bit.

primitive genestealer hybrid tribesmen.

Primitive Genestealer hybrid Ogryns with mutations and you've got a deal.

Edited by Misha

Primitive Genestealer hybrid Ogryns with mutations and you've got a deal.

Yeah, no, terminator squads aren't gonna make it, send in the dreadnaughts!

I can't believe GW never made an ogryn-stealer hybrid model! The ork one was scary enough!

Hello everybody! I have just got Space Hulk fourth edition and I am loving it. So I had a bit of an idea. I am planning to set a mini-campaign just on a Space Hulk, The Hand of Wrath . Here are a few questions/ideas for my mini-campaign.

1. My group is happy to all be one chapter, mainly for the chapter abilities. Which chapter they do not know. Any ideas for chapter that would go into a Space Hulk?

2. I'm planning to give them all terminator gear, extra Xp and a storm bolter and powerfist as starting gear. How much extra requisition should I give them? What rank should they be?

3. What enemy/ies should be in the Space Hulk? I was thinking of something less cliche like maybe a feral race or something like that. However my group are fine with the usual genestealers, orks and daemons. What do you think?

4. Because of their terminator gear I'm going have to change their specialities so they don't start with useleuss skills and talents. Any ideas?

If you have extra ideas please add them because so far its unpolished. Oh, and the group is not being in Deathwatch.

Brilliant idea.... now I just have to paint the all minis and run a BloodAngels-only mini-campaign

Brilliant idea.... now I just have to paint the all minis and run a BloodAngels-only mini-campaign

Thanks. The group has decided to be Blood Angels. They will be fighting Genestealers.