New Star Wars and Marvel comics

By LordCole, in X-Wing Off-Topic

I have mixed feelings about the whole, Marvel/Star Wars/Disney situation. Not because I am scared Star Wars is going to become Disney-fied or anything. It is the sudden yank of the table cloth off the table Disney performed at the very beginning; Turning the Expanded Universe into Legacy, the instantaneous dissolving of comic books & novels and shutting down the production of video game titles.
On the other hand, there were so many stories, comics and video games saturating the market it was hard to choose(and choose correctly) what to follow or buy into. Often times, I found myself buying into a storyline and finding out half way through that it was garbage. After getting burned so many times(thank you 90's), I tended to steer clear of all the comics and novels then going to Wookiepidia to read up on a character. Disney's choice to reel everything in and releasing brand new stories as canon is great because it makes things easier for us, we can just go right to them for the product we want, knowing it will be filtered.

So now we have Star Wars comics back at Marvel and we get to start over at number one; on one hand, "Yahoooo"! but then they made twenty different variant covers.

I am not going to list the reasons why this bothers me, I am just going to show you guys my favorite two covers:
865813.jpg 865819.jpg

Edited by LordCole

Here is something interesting Dark Horse released yesterday, Star Wars Farewell MegaBundle ; 568 digital books( 28353 pages ). Some of them are Omnibus titles; like Star Wars: Classics Volumes 1 through 3 and Star Wars Omnibus: Rise of the Sith for a cost of $4.99 and then there are single titles for .49ยข( Farewell sale ). Dark Horse has it listed at $300.00 for the set.

10888496_4816882117610_76024481653202513

I am going to get Rogue Squadron Omnibus volumes 1,2 & 3 bundle for $12.49

Star Wars Omnibus: X-Wing Rogue Squadron Volume 1

Star Wars Omnibus: X-Wing Rogue Squadron Volume 2

Star Wars Omnibus: X-Wing Rogue Squadron Volume 3

Edited by LordCole

I heard they are printing over a million copies of the first issue. I didn't realise they were doing 20 variants, though. Those really annoy me... :/

I just feel a need to collect them and that's more money I'm wasting.

Buy your comics for what's between their covers rather than what's on them and you'll be a lot happier.

Agree with DailyRich. I've yet to find any way to display comic book covers that I like! lol

In all seriousness, I'll probably wait for the trade. I always think trades look better than boxes of loose issues. And they'll look nice on my Star Wars shelf next to my copies of Dark Empire and the original marvel comic nook annuals.

Edited by HoundsTooth

I just have to laugh that they are putting Cassaday on another big name title. There will be another artist by June at the latest.

I don't understand how there were "too many" things to choose from. Yes, there were a lot of older comics, but few actual titles coming out at once.

As for Lucasarts, that was a business decision that was a long, long time coming. It was a shadow of it's former glory. And while the games might've sounded cool, I can guarantee that they would end up being crappy games.

Edited by Sithborg

As for Lucasarts, that was a business decision that was a long, long time coming. It was a shadow of it's former glory. And while the games might've sounded cool, I can guarantee that they would end up being crappy games.

I can agree with that. Star Wars games have hooked me less and less as time has gone on. They just seem to borrow to heavily from other games instead of the unique designs the older ones had. Example being... Force Unleashed. That played too much like God of War. Empire at War played too much like some other space game I can't think of at the moment... Maybe Sins of a Solar Empire?

I have a feeling the new Battlefront is just going to be Battlefield in space.
I would kill for a modern version of Rebellion (Supremeness). I loved the character/mission system in that. It really felt good taking over a planet with well done uprising/sabotage missions. I really liked the fleet battles back in the day, but now I can realize they were crappy... Other side always ran if outmatched unless you had an indicator and the controls sucked. If they could somehow fix the fleet battles and update the overall looks/UI...

Oh, and there's actually upwards of fifty or sixty different cover variants for Star Wars #1. Most are dealer exclusives shops are getting as rewards for ordering a certain amount of regular issues, meaning you'd have to travel to dozens of different comic shops around the country in order to get them all. Best not to even worry about it.

I think it was a mistake taking away DHs rights to make SW comics or at least making new story arcs. Then agian DH can now focus on the new Alien, Predator, AvP, Prometheus comics that are coming out.

Oh, and there's actually upwards of fifty or sixty different cover variants for Star Wars #1. Most are dealer exclusives shops are getting as rewards for ordering a certain amount of regular issues, meaning you'd have to travel to dozens of different comic shops around the country in order to get them all. Best not to even worry about it.

Oh, I'm not that crazy. But I'll likely see about picking up a few.

My local comic shop is really quite odd. Two nice guys run the place in a rather small basement below a State Farm office. The building is a converted large house.

I doubt they are going to have too much of a selection on alts anyways.

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHH

I bought that bundle 2 weeks ago for twice that

Kicking myself so hard.

I recently subscribed to Marvel Unlimited, and am hoping very hard that Star Wars gets folded into it with the usual 2 month lag time. The idea of cluttering my house with yet more comics doesn't appeal to me (my wife used to work at Vis, we have plenty, thank you), but the dude they have writing the Darth Vader comic wrote a series that's been given a few Comic of the Year awards. So I'm super excited!

I have mixed feelings about the whole, Marvel/Star Wars/Disney situation. Not because I am scared Star Wars is going to become Disney-fied or anything. It is the sudden yank of the table cloth off the table Disney performed at the very beginning; Turning the Expanded Universe into Legacy, the instantaneous dissolving of comic books & novels and shutting down the production of video game titles.

On the other hand, there were so many stories, comics and video games saturating the market it was hard to choose(and choose correctly) what to follow or buy into. Often times, I found myself buying into a storyline and finding out half way through that it was garbage. After getting burned so many times(thank you 90's), I tended to steer clear of all the comics and novels then going to Wookiepidia to read up on a character. Disney's choice to reel everything in and releasing brand new stories as canon is great because it makes things easier for us, we can just go right to them for the product we want, knowing it will be filtered.

So now we have Star Wars comics back at Marvel and we get to start over at number one; on one hand, "Yahoooo"! but then they made twenty different variant covers.

I am not going to list the reasons why this bothers me, I am just going to show you guys my favorite two covers: 865813.jpg 865819.jpg

I'm a sucker when it comes to buying the first edition of something

When do those go on sale?

I'm a sucker when it comes to buying the first edition of something

5446c5dd89eed.jpg

-Skottie Young

Should be this month, check with your retailer.

I'm still genuinely shocked that they didn't give Bendis a Star Wars comic.