Cybernetics Portfolio

By MorbidDon, in Rogue Trader House Rules

Howdy and or Hail All,

I put together a small guide for those who prefer to play in the 40k Universe with a drawback game mechanic that balances the acquisition of Cybernetics...

In alot of RPGs the concept of cybernetics has been associated to a cost; in our case we are using the tropes/themes found in games such as; Cyberpunk, Shadowrun, and the like!

What does this mean?

In a thinking man's game one has to balance their resources against other in-game concerns which may be critical to your survival and overall in-game dominance (dominance referring to combat effectiveness).

Link:

This link will provide you with rules for implementing such game play into your 40k Universe + I've also beefed up the differences between Poor , Common , Good , and Best Quality Cybernetics to again more closely align with the whole Essence / Humanity Loss System herein.

Rogue Trader Cybernetics Guide / Portfolio

This is a work in progress - ATM you will find the cyber included in the RT CORE Book plus a handful of augmetics I added (or am going to add).

As always - this may not be for everyone, if so then that's fine no sweat; I'm not here to upset or break your game, only here to present new ideas and explore different answers.

P.S. There may be grammatical errors in the PDF; I was trying to get this done as quickly as possible - I will be reviewing it as I improve it along - thanks for your patience!

Stay Gaming!

For the Emperor

Morbid

Edited by MorbidDon

Updated 12/23/14

Fixed some typos, adjusted some content, just an overall better presentation...

Now this includes material from: Core Book, Hostile Acquisitions, and Into the Storm game supplements!

You'll still need each book above, if you don't have it you should buy it - support the Rogue Trader product line if you want more products to come out...

Happy Holidays!

Followup:

So I left some things out, namely the items from Hostile Acquisitions and Into the Storm.

I left section detailing Quality therein blank - I figured why not give the 40k community a wack at it?!

Please submit your ideas for: (Poor, Common, Good, and Best versions)

Aetheric Wave-Spars
Blackbone Bracing

Gastral Bionics

Internal Power Cell

Interkeratic Implants

Pain Ward

Servo-Limbs

Thiefs Light

Twitch-Mask

Vitae Supplacement

Weapon Bracing

Stay Gaming ALL!

Morbid

I've been in games that add cyberpsychosis effects to people that keep adding the cyber parts and it works better that adding an additional pentalty.

I am a firm believer, in 40k it's doesn't matter how many cyber parts you have your still human, and your humanity is more of a birth right than something that could be cut away.

If you take a few minutes and just think of the inhuman environment that the character operate in there is no mercy, no compassion it's sadistic, cruel and barbaric.

The action(s) of Rogue Trades, fire bombing planets, exploiting whole world, starving civilizations to extinction and that is the nice traders. Why should a cyber hand cost anything?

Edited by myth835

To answer your question - replacing a "hand" in me system actually doesn't cost "essence"...

READ THE DOC before presenting constructive criticism, that way we are on the same page (get it LOL)

WHY

OK from what Ive read - becoming a machine doesn't impart some sort of boost or bonus to your Willpower - rather one trades that away for the stodgy cold logic and unfeeling steel (using poetic flavor here)...

Without actually quoting references - being anything in 40k is both a boon and a curse (from races to careers) - its the setting's Shtick.

Now if talking from a munchkin point of view - heck there is no arguing with power gamers no matter the bent.

As a veteran gamer of over 25 years Ive played all sorts of systems with all sorts of game creep.

Now if game creep doesn't bother you - then that's fine, you should enjoy yourself; but for those like myself who just can't sit back and enjoy the flawed ride - creativity and free-thinking act to ensure a long shelf-life (i.e. re-playability for years to come).

So just because this and that is possible in the grim dark - doesn't mean there isn't a price to pay for power - the best tales teach us there is no free ride in the dark millennium!

Stay Gaming

Morbid

Edited by MorbidDon

Your post was read in full.

"Cyber part" the cyber hand was simply a generalization.

The only characters that should be creeping this way are already have a fellowship characteristic penalty.

Morbid, this game doesn't provide a appropriate characteristic to penalize, fellowship is a very poor substitute for "ESSENCE".

Essence would have much more in common with Psy Rating.

The penalizing of Psy Rating of psyker would be counter to the overall theme of 40k Warhammer with psychic machines, psychic weapons, psychic drugs, psyker enhancing cyber parts, cyborg psykers, and robots using psychic abilities.

I personnel like to treat each new game, as a new experience, and not bring in baggage from games designed over a quarter century ago.

-Jason

I understand your point Jason, rather your & my opinions just differ (i respect your view)...

Stay GAMING

Morbid

UPDATE Today,

Cybernetics Portfolio Q2 2015

A. Reworked the mechanics of play to benefit AdMech types more; so now " the Flesh is Weak " increases your Biological Threshold known as "Capacity".

B. Reworked the Characteristic penalties into a new Mechanic called "Autoflaw"

C. Changed some wording to better reflect the Grim Dark (so all the grades of cyber are now; Remnant , Trace , Vestige , Relic , and Artifact grade)

I am quite satisfied with what I've got thus far - as in all my posts this may not be for you...

I wasn't actually asking advice from this point on, if you have something constructive to add that'll help this idea along then by all means do submit - otherwise if you don't like it, I'm not sure that I care at this point (yeah... LOL)

Otherwise apply and enjoy the content herein in your campaign

Stay GAMING

Morbid