Newbie question about combining Elder Sign (Core) with Unseen Forces

By LtCorwin, in Elder Sign

Hi all,

New to the game, just unboxed Elder Sign (Revised Printing) and Unseen Forces. I have a couple of questions about using the replacement cards for the core set that came with Unseen Forces.

Ok, so the three Adventurer cards are the same as my Revised printing so I don't need to swap them out. My question is about the other 5 cards.

If I am playing with only the core set do I need to swap those out? Or do i only need to swap out the original ones IF I'm playing with the core set and the expansion?

Thanks in advance for the help, sorry if it's been asked before.

LTC

Hi!

and welcome, to the game and the Elder Sign community :)

Mind posting a list of the revised cards? IIRC, revised cards are mostly Other World cards that were designed to replace some cards having an "add a doom token" reward? It's a long time, and a little bit of description would be helpful

JULIA

Julia,

Thanks for your response. I'm referring to the replacement cards, and the instructions in the section of the Unseen Forces rules below:

***************************************************************************************************************************************************

Using This Expansion
This section describes how to incorporate the Unseen
Forces components into the Elder Sign base game. Unless
otherwise instructed, use all Unseen Forces components
when playing with this expansion.
Replacement Cards
In this expansion, there are four Other World cards, one
Adventure card, and three Investigator cards that replace
cards from the base game with the same name as follows:
• Adventure Card: “The Elder Sign”
• Other World Cards: “Great Hall of Celeano,” “The Abyss,”
“Plateau of Leng,” and “City of the Great Race”
• Investigator Cards: “Carolyn Fern,” “Vincent Lee,” and
“Mandy Thompson”
Remove these cards from the base game and replace them
with the cards from this expansion. Players who own the
Revised Edition of Elder Sign already have the correct
version of the Investigator cards listed above.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************

So the 3 replacement Investigator cards are in line withe the last errata for Elder sign, but my core box is the revised reprinting so I already have the corrected ones.

My question is about the replacement Adventure card and the 4 replacement Other World Cards. The ones in Unseen Forces differ from those in the core set (original and Revised) and there are no entries pertaining to them in the Elder Sign errata and FAQ.

So my question is:

Should I replace the above 5 cards in the core set witht he replacements from Unseen Forces when I'm:

i) Playing withthe Unseen Forces expansion?;

ii) Playing with just the Core Set?;

iii) Both?;

iv) Neither? (YEs I know that's not the answer but I'm a completionist :) )

Thanks in advance for your help

LTC

Ok, now I get it. Sorry you had to write that much! Indeed, all cards are to be replaced. No idea while the revised printing is still suffering from these, but yes, in all the games I play (with or without Unseen Forces or Gates of Arkham) I have the revised OWs in lieu of the original cards, and the new "Elder Sign" (clearly this only with UF since you won't need that for GoA)

Thanks Julia,

Don't worry, I copied and pasted the section between the asterisks from the UF download rules :)

I can understand the revised printing srtill not having all the updates, but if the other changed cards are supposed to be used in the core game only, I wonder why the FAQ hasn't been updated?

Thanks again for your help.

LTC

I suspect FFG decided listing the 'remove doom' instead of 'add doom' for those adventures in the FAQ would confuse and frustrate more than enlighten, especially for those who didn't get the UF expansion with the corrected cards. It is odd that they would still be printing the base set with the incorrect adventures, though, if they have corrected the character cards.

Whatever the reason, at least you have the corrected cards, and can toss (or permanently set aside) the incorrect ones. While there have been many comments about how easy the base game is (even with UF, which made it just a little more challenging), I never liked the idea of a 'reward' being to add doom, and was glad when they were updated. If anything, there should have been a penalty to add doom if you failed the OW adventures.

Edited by xfoley8