The All Guardsmen Party

By ShoggySeldom, in Dark Heresy

Hi folks, I'm popping in here on my holidays to share a story about bravery, incompetence, and detpacks.
This is, at heart, a campaign write-up, but it has grown over the months into something a little bigger than anyone expected. I'm hoping you guys enjoy it as much as the folks on reddit and tg.
This has become a rather long story and due to this forum's image limits (and my inability to find the spoiler tags) I'm going to have to link off-site. The entire story is split into screencapped chapters hosted on imgur below (with the original thread links too, if you'd prefer), but it can also all be found in a nice, clean, slightly more polished, google-hosted html file here:
The Adventures of the All Guardsmen Party
Prologue: Natural Selection Based Character Creation
Part 2: Guardsmen and Pilgrims
Part 3: Dude Where's My Psyker?
Part 4: What's in the Box?
Part 5: Nubby's Girlfriend
Part 6: Heretic Purging
Part 7: Discount Spaceship
Part 8: Good Soldiers, Bad Educators
Part 9: The Interplanetary Man of Mystery
Part 10: The Greater Good
I'm rather new on the forum, so if I should move this somewhere else please tell me. Otherwise I'm happy to talk or answer questions and would love to hear any literary criticism.
Edited by ShoggySeldom

Actually posts like this should be moved to Fan Fiction but because of its pure awesomeness I'd vote it to stay where it is.

Great read, looking forward seeing part 9!

Glad you liked it, the next chapter will be after the holidays. Probably the 9th or 10th.

I've been following Tthe All Guardsmen Party on reddit for the last few posts. It's awesome!

I read some of this and i wondered how did it look from chain of command side? Did the guardsman was still part of imperial guard and just borrowed by inquisitor or was they treated like acolytes? Another thing which ruleset you were using for this campaing?

We were treated like acolytes, as far as the Inquisition was concerned we no longer had any affiliation with the guard.

Of course from our perspective Sarge was in charge of the squad and initially we operated on the assumption that all the other acolytes outranked us. Nowadays unless we're put directly under someone's command or they're a full Inquisitor we just assume they're dangerously incompetent and take any orders they give as a sort of suggestion, possibly one made by a drunk.

The ruleset we use is DH 1st edition, with a bunch of stuff taken from OW and a fair number of house rules. It's a shame 2e wasn't out when we started.

I plan to do something simillar. We started our only war campaing (which i GM) with players being only guardsman. After lots of adventures they are now pretty much powerfull individuals. I planed to transition them into more dark heresy style game but i encoutered one problem. Players still want to be part of the guard they just want more "special ops" instead of frontline fighting. While it worked for most of the time now they are in such spot only inquisitor involvement will make sense. Still i strugle how to merge DH and OW so players can have more versatile missions while being part of the guard.

I've been following the AGP for some time now, and I have to say, it is really great stuff. Thanks Shoggy!

Glad you like it, knowing people are having fun reading these makes all the writing time worth it.

It was a great read. Very exciting and funny.

......I just spent the last 4 days reading the whole story from Chapter 1 to 9...... Nubby Nubbs is my favorite. Shoggy, your party's sessions are the things dreams are made of. I sir, am totes MaGoats jelly.

Is there more coming?

Yep, on either the 31st or 7th, depending on how much time I get to write next week.

Oh man am I excited.

New chapter is up and it's a stupidly long one this time.
Worlds are searched, tech priests cause problems, we thoroughly annoy someone, and we get involved is a battle that's far too big for our comfort.

Part 11: The Xenotech Heresy

Original Thread Links:

Is anyone here interested in reading more chapters of this series?

Is anyone here interested in reading more chapters of this series?

This shouldn't be the only place You ask that question, for I am sure that somewhere on /tg/ there are tons of people eager to hear what happend next to the team of "unlikely acolytes", but personally I can only say "yes, please"

I've returned from the mountains and writing has resumed! Here's a short interlude from between where the last chapter left off and where the next chapter starts!

Now, this started as an intro piece, but it became far too large, so I split it off. As a result, the writing style is a bit different from usual, and significantly more raw party dialogue has been left in. So I'd like to apologize in advance if the language gets a little crude, it's Aimy's fault.

The All Guardsmen Party Interlude: Dewarp

Hey shogster any ETA on next?

I'm stuck in the desert this weekend, and dislike posting on weekdays, so probably next weekend.

Sounds good I'll be sure to check back here when I miss the post for the everyeth time.

Gee, I sure do suck at getting things done in a reasonable amount of time... Oh well, better late than never I guess.

Anyway, here's the next chapter of the All Guardsmen Party, (Or at least part of it, no Tyranids are actually delivered in this portion, but I intend to catch up by this weekend or next)
In this chapter a Station is visited, Sarge is inquisitorial, NPCs are suprisingly useful, a black marketeer is contacted, Doc does scary things, a heroic speech is made, and vengeance is promised.
The All Guardsmen Party: Tyranid Delivery Experts