Jackson Howard

By quailman2101, in Android: Netrunner Deck Building

I'm just wondering what peoples thoughts are on Jackson Howard. I personally think it is a crazy over powered card. At the cost of 1 influence per (if you aren't playing NBN) and a rez cost of zero, you can hide up to 3 agendas in your archives or reuse good cards. And do it up to 3 times. I don't think I really ever play a corp that doesn't have the card in their deck.

The only ways to counter that I can think of is too either happen to access him from R&D or HQ and pay 3 to trash (not an insignificant amount); or I believe that you could kill him with Unregistered S&W 35. But only if the corp has rezzed him. And in order for the corp to not see it coming, you'd have to run on HQ, install S&W 35, and then use it; using your whole turn.

I personally think it should be nerfed in the following ways:

-trash cost should be 1

-rez cost should be 2 or 3

-influence cost should be 2

It would still be a super good card, but not so good that you pretty much have to include it in your deck.

Anyway, there is my little rant. What do you guys think?

Edited by quailman2101

They can still sacrifice him after the HQ run before you shoot him. No such thing as doing it without the corp having the chance to react.

after your hq run is complete, there would be no more windows for corp reactions i believe. they wouldn't know during the run that you are about to install s&w

It takes clicks both to use the S&W and to install it. There's a window between every click action. You run HQ, they can Jackson. You install the gun, they can Jackson. The only time they can't Jackson is if they pass on using him and THEN you declare you're using the gun.

Yes, it's powerful, but in most decks it's not overpowered. it fills an important role in reducing variance in Corp decks and lets them survive early game randomness which can sometimes result in a loss for really no good reason. It doesn't need balance errata, and eventually it will rotate out and be replaced by some other tool for that niche, one which is slightly more balanced.

oh ok, for some reason i thought that corp only had reaction windows during runs. gotto read the rule book again

Point of Order: It's not a reaction window, there's no such thing.

After every action, and at various steps during a run, there are timing phases where both players may trigger Paid Abilities and Rez Cards (though the latter only applies to the corp, the "speed" of timing is the same.)

Who has priority during those windows to trigger their effects, and who executes their effects after the opponent, is a function of whose turn it is.

The actions which can be played as a reaction are prevent/avoid effects, simply of necessity for their function.

That's one way to put it.

Anyway, that means that S&W can't really be used against Jackson Howard; unless the Corp is sleeping.

Or the corp is okay with the runner burning 3 clicks to kill jackson. Sometimes I've let the runner do it just for the tempo swing.

Or the corp is okay with the runner burning 3 clicks to kill jackson. Sometimes I've let the runner do it just for the tempo swing.

Yep. You can always try to Jackson your Jackson back later ;)

I'd like to formally change my tune on Jackson Howard. I do still feel it should have a rez cost, 1 maybe 2. But with the new runner cards Jackson is even more indispensable.