How to deal with loot?

By Auzymundius, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

I've recently started GMing a Dark Heresy campaign and decided to use the included adventure "Dark Pursuits." My group managed to kill Skinner(with some help they enlisted from another gang) and I had to make up some bs excuse as to why they couldn't have his power sword(it was the first session). I was wondering what you guys thought was the best way to stop my players from using weapons of enemies that I throw at them? Should I stop them? I felt that if I didn't, then they would become too powerful too quickly. I know if it was a chaos cultist or something similar then I could simply say that it's tainted or something.

I think it entirely depends on what kind of game you want to run. If they're used to games like D&D, loot is the primary means for getting better gear so they expect to be able to take stuff off the bad guy after they've earned it (won the fight). This mindset can be very difficult to get players out of, if that's not how you want to run it.

If you want to give them progress on the gear treadmill in some other way, you need to have a reason why they can't take the weapons off bad guys. Armor is too badly damaged after the fight. A stray shot hit the power capacitor on his power sword and broke it. This gear is marked with [bBEG faction symbol]. The weapon is tainted and needs to be cleansed before it's safe. Something. If you do this, you should probably also assure your players better gear will be provided in some other fashion.

Better gear is one metric of progressing your character, and some players like it more than spending XP or advancing the plot or whatever. So you can't dangle shiny toys in front of them and take them away after the players 'earn' them without some other means to get them. The important thing is to reward their sense of accomplishment.

The third option here is to let them have whatever weapons they want and challenge them with problems not best solved with weaponry.

Yeah, I feel it depends a lot on what exactly you imagine the player characters to be. By default, they are agents of the Inquisition, so an argument could be made about it being silly to deny them access to advanced weaponry. By default, the player characters also do not gain access to something like an Inquisitorial armoury. By default, the Inquisition does not even pay them a salary . It all comes down to a simple fact: they'll have to get their gear elsewhere. Due to this, "salvage" often seems like the most obvious solution.

You can mitigate the factor using the tricks mentioned by cps. Although I'd recommend taking care to come up with good reasons; personally I'd feel punked if I were to pick up an item and the GM being like: "oh no, you can't do that, it's broken" - "well, then I'll take the remains and see if I can get it repaired" - "it, uhh, broke into like a hundred pieces. and melted."

IF you're going to do something like that, at least announce it during the fight and not as an afterthought. And have it affect the NPC's combat efficiency as well, rather than it magically being the last attack that kills not only the enemy but also his valuable gear.

If you want to prevent players from taking equipment you don't want them to have, I feel the best approach would be to rely on superstition. With cultist gear in particular, equipment may be called "tainted" and "corrupt", so that the characters themselves should feel reluctance to touch it, voluntarily surrendering it for confiscation and isolation, depending on their personality types (obviously, a Hive Ganger may feel differently about this than a Sororitas Novice). At the same time, make it possible for them to keep things, but also make it clear that there is always a risk of consequences. Perhaps their Inquisitor is a Puritan and thus won't be overly pleased to notice his or her acolytes running around with unsanctioned equipment?

You can also mitigate a perceived need to loot by granting them free access to non-exotic wargear. For example, in my last game of Dark Heresy, cell members were allowed to requisition stuff from an Inquisitorial armoury, provided they were able to communicate a proper reason for why they'd need that specific item. The attached caveat was that they were unable to customise it, as it was basically just "on loan" and had to be brought back in one piece. The players also received a stipend in Thrones with which they were able to save for buying their own gear to personalise as they wish.

Depends. Enemies are generally really well equipped. If you don't want them taking loot then simply tell them about it being "tainted" make it understood if they really want to loot they'll have to have it cleaned by a tech priest or blessed by a cleric lest something bad happen.

You could speak to them as people and say that you'd appreciate them not looting, you won't jip them on gear but they'll mess up the power of the game if they take everything in sight.

Lastly you could let them take the loot, be people the steal from corpses and have them noticed, "Hey that's a nice powersword my brother owned one just like it........WAITAMINUTE!"

I'd go with don't let them loot what they aren't explicitly going to use. Which is fairly easy now that a throne gelt system is out they won't be looting for cash.

Depends. Enemies are generally really well equipped.

On that note (something I briefly thought about, but forgot to mention in the previous post) ... another good solution would, of course, be to make sure that for as long as you want your players to keep running around with crap equipment, just throw enemies with crap equipment at them.

It may feel a bit meh if the NPCs keep flashing the cool stuff around whilst the group is like "yeah, yeah, we get it, you're awesome, shame we're not allowed such toys".

Or hit them with powerfull enemies that don't carry loot:

like high level psykers ( an untrained alpha level street urchin weird dressed in sackcloth. )

Genestealers (Purestrain or hybrids with common weapons)

Deathcult assassins with biosculpted bodies, muscle grafts and combat drugs... that kill with steel knives and swords.

Chaos cultists with nurgle's rot and scary mutations wielding rusted cleavers

Plague zombies

Edited by Robin Graves

On the other hand it is more fun to own a power sword with a story than buying a standard issue for money.

You can introduce a couple of delay tactics on the weapon, so they can have it, but cant really use it till later. Like it has a powerful bio recognizer which takes money and time to remove / reconfigure. It is broken, but the required replacement parts are not in town. Getting the sword to work for them could be even be an interesting side story.

I tend not to have to worry about giving out loot. The way most of the people I know play these games, there's not much left of any enemy to fill a lunchbox let alone loot their corpse.

The other solution is to start adding weapons with a twist which will make them hesitant. Gene encoded weapons with inbuilt electrical safety system. Anyone attempting to use it without approval or modification takes damage as the security kicks in. Alternatively could always go with daemonic items...

As a last resort, you could have the weapons/loot being of poor craftsmanship quality, possibly because of neglection or damage. The drawbacks could lead to some memorable role play moments where for example a bolter jams right when some enemy rushes towards the character. :D The GM could push this narratively as part of the story itself, just be sure not to screw over the player too hard in the process.

Edited by Gridash

Thanks for the help guys! These suggestions worked out - and are going to work out - great.

Ah, something else that just occurred to me now! Sorry to not have mentioned it earlier; my brain can be a bit messy at times, especially when I've got several things I'm trying to keep track of. Anyways:

Carrying limitations.

This isn't so much a concern in this particular case (a single power sword), but something to keep in mind when you're worried about stuff like salvaging armour, or bulk-looting as a source of income.

In case of the latter, where players are attempting to gather all the belongings of their slain foes, do not hesitate to demand to know how they will transport something like 20 lasguns. Keep in mind that even if they do find a way, it'll probably make them stick out in the public eye, possibly leading to further encounters with local security or a street gang.

If the players are trying to strip an enemy off their carapace or (Emperor forbid) power armour, consider that it takes time just to free it of the corpse. Then consider that it has to be transported in some way, as it will hardly fit in someone's backpack. Will the player undress right then and there to put it on?

Sidenote: "Hard" armour will often also be custom-fitted to its wearer, which (depending on how different the physical descriptions of the PC and the ex-NPC are) may lead to a minor penalty to characteristics such as Agility and Weapon Skill. Lastly, it seems likely that, given that it was unable to save its former owner from death, the armour will be damaged some way. How much would depend on what the PCs used to kill their foe, but detracting 1-2 AP might be a real option here. Indeed, in the case of powered armour, it may not actually be "powered" any more at all.

There's no explicit need to keep track of exact item weights and carrying capacities, but a rough estimate (attempt to visualise how the character looks, and what he might be able to lug around, both in terms of strength as well as "baggage space") may help a lot already.

Good luck with your game! :)

Edited by Lynata

One of the oft-quoted truisms of RPGs is "If you stat it, they will kill it". This can be be supplemented with "-and take it's stuff." Never give an NPC something that you don't want your players to have.

Well it is your call based on how you GM, looting is a game mechanic that is very instilled in a role playing game MMOs, Final Fantasy, D&D, and more also it is based on basic real life experience, In a war zone when enemies are killed their weapons are taken as trophies from the victor no different in this instances, if you want to restrict looting, determine the durability of the weapons or gear, make it were the looter needs to either repair the item once obtained, I normally let my players loot the weaponry and gear they wont the only problem I make sure they can carry the gear and weapons witch does limit the players because when they kill opponents in a fast passe situation thy dont have the option to loot and carry it to the next battle far off. The tainted weaponry is a good option if the group is to stay Good alignment or puritan then really be strict on the corruption points to limit them. I let them loot off big bads because they deserve a reward for finishing a mission in my opinion and when they loot a nice and powerful weapon I make tougher situations later so they wont get bored or OP.

My advice I would let them have it it will give the player some fun to be confident and feel proud about their character being so powerful, just make sure they have a challenge later in order to bring them back to Earth, depends on how you want to run. Hope this helps and good luck!

Edited by DrangarOrtega

So, your players want to pick up this fancy sword with technological enhancements from a guy calling himself Skinner?

The blade's hilt is wrapped in cured human flesh, the cross-piece has elaborate nail and bone inlays - and the whole weapon also happen to reek something fierce?

1. + Corruption

2. Let their Inquisitor ask them why they would carry such a vile thing around

3. Let them take a small subtlety hit every time it is used in a hive-live setting or large civilized (insofar as 40K goes) area

:ph34r:

One of the oft-quoted truisms of RPGs is "If you stat it, they will kill it". This can be be supplemented with "-and take it's stuff." Never give an NPC something that you don't want your players to have.

Double for decks of many things and anything regarding wishes.

So, your players want to pick up this fancy sword with technological enhancements from a guy calling himself Skinner?

The blade's hilt is wrapped in cured human flesh, the cross-piece has elaborate nail and bone inlays - and the whole weapon also happen to reek something fierce?

1. + Corruption

3. Let them take a small subtlety hit every time it is used in a hive-live setting or large civilized (insofar as 40K goes) area

Pfff Easy enough. I would tell him Its a reliquary blade:made from the bones of devout imperial followers.

First, sorry for my poor english !

Do not forget that to use a power sword you need the weapong training (power) talent, so it cost you an amount of experience to "buy" the access to it, unless the character wants to always have the -20 penalty (which also "paid" the powersword).

I would let them loot, because it is a great satisfaction for a player to get specific rewards after killing a particulary powerfull ennemy, but now he have to be carefull because ennemy who see his powersword (especially long range ennemy) will focus in disabling this character for his combative potential.

All in all, the gain of power is compensated with the penalty/investiment of XP, and the focusing of ennemy.

1. + Corruption

Pfff Easy enough. I would tell him Its a reliquary blade:made from the bones of devout imperial followers.

In which case the GM can apply 1., 3., etc. :)

Edited by Keffisch

Oh wait corruption is bad. Played to much black crusade. :)

1. + Corruption

Assuming you are skilled enough to lie to your own inquisitor... and if he catch you... prepare for execution!

1. + Corruption

Assuming you are skilled enough to lie to your own inquisitor... and if he catch you... prepare for execution!

Aaawww c'mon! :) It's not like there's no precedent: 2 chapter masters of the most famous chapters wield ex-chaos weapons, and half the inquisition is rockin' them daemonswords... surely I can have a sword made out of human bits? :D

Does it show that my DH2 char is a not-quite-on-the-level priest with unsactiond psy powers? (He passes those and any random warp stuff that happens around him off as "Miracles" and "Signs of the Emperor.")

Our group asumes the inquisitor we work for must be a bit of a radical.

1. + Corruption

Aaawww c'mon! :) It's not like there's no precedent: 2 chapter masters of the most famous chapters wield ex-chaos weapons, and half the inquisition is rockin' them daemonswords... surely I can have a sword made out of human bits? :D

Does it show that my DH2 char is a not-quite-on-the-level priest with unsactiond psy powers? (He passes those and any random warp stuff that happens around him off as "Miracles" and "Signs of the Emperor.")

Our group asumes the inquisitor we work for must be a bit of a radical.

are you seriously comparing an acolyte, just a disposable resource, with a chapter master?????? do you understand who is behind a chapter master supporting him? (a whole chapter of space marines of course), behind the acolyte is his inquisitor... o wait!

Edited by jack_px

Well, technically speaking, a Chapter Master cannot excommunicate you, whereas an Inquisitor ...

(he can cleave you in twain tho :ph34r: )

Well, technically speaking, a Chapter Master cannot excommunicate you, whereas an Inquisitor ...

(he can cleave you in twain tho :ph34r: )

See? They should have said they were collecting "relics" (They are even named the Relictors!) instead of that whole "let's us use the enemy's weapons against him!" then they wouldn't be in this mess. :D

Also: Is it just me or do histories of chapters with the word "fire" in their name end up bad?

(Fire Claws/Relictors. Fire Hawks/LotD)

Edited by Robin Graves

My GM has taken the route of changing the situation of combat to make weaker enemies harder. Rather that sending one powerful enemy with a power sword. Try to engage them with something along the lines of a group of hive scum using autoguns. Tactics such as these can prove much more deadly than one powerful enemy and provide more balanced loot.