Hope for Diskwars

By Westonard, in Warhammer: Diskwars

So, I was just looking at Elder Sign, which is the other thing I really enjoy. I do like FFG and their Cthulhu stuff, I have a bit of Arkham Horror, not as much considering all the expansions, and I don't have all the expansions for Mansions of Madness. That said, it took a year and a half for Elder Sign to get its second expansion, I just think that we were a little spoiled since we got two-ish expansions within six months of the game's release. Honestly I will be hopeful and remain optimistic until FFG has obviously abandoned this game and it has been years with no news/tournament kits/expansions. They are pushing their new stuff, SW Armada, 40k conquest, their new RPGs for the end of the world stuff, SW will likely get a lot of hype and sales with Episode 7 coming out next year, so their focus and milking it makes sense.

So I just counsel patience.

Agreed. It is difficult to be patient when you love a game so much, but it is the best course of action without a doubt.

Part of what makes it so difficult to wait is that WDW "feels" like an LCG (or at least it does to me), which causes me to expect expansions and content at an LCG pace. In reality, DW is more like a board game than an LCG, so that level of product outpouring is improbable. If there were that many expansions coming in at that rapid a pace, it would actually be far more than I could handle financially, and I probably wouldn't get in enough games to use all the disks very often anyway. I guess I am actually okay with the pace of releases. It doesn't stop me from wishing for updates and a few more expansions, though. I know I shouldn't eat chocolate all day, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to eat it...

The tournament support that just came out gives me a fair degree of optimism, actually. I interpret it as a commitment to continue the game for at least another year, and possibly beyond. Not many games get organized play support, so hopefully that means we will see another expansion or two sometime this coming year. Speaking of organized play, I would love to attend a tournament and drum up some local support, but sadly, it seems nobody in my area is really into this game outside of my own gaming circles. I don't have the time to attend gaming stores often to try and raise some interest on my own, but I wish I could make an impact and sell more people on the idea of this excellent game. :(

Edited by Jedhead

I just want some info from FFG and that's all ^_^

some hint or spoiler anything !!!

I personally don't want an LCG pace of releases for this game, but I would like to see two a year. Like Jedhead, I don't have the cash to by expansions every month. And, I don't think they've abandoned the game by any means. But I do worry that if they drop down to one a year or worse one every other year, they would really hurt the game.

This game isn't like Elder Sign, where you can have one person own the game and pop it out and play it either by themselves, or in a group of people on short notice, with a little rules instruction. This game does have a more LCG feel. It requires a time investment to become good at it. It needs growing and changing meta. It needs to have new challenges.

Right now they need to release something that breaks the Franz/Sun Dragon dominance that is currently going on. In every tournament I read about, that list is either the winner or very, very close. That's not good for a game like this. In my small group we don't see a lot of this, but primarily because we play for fun, and aren't trying to win tournaments. If we were trying to play the tournament scene that combo would get very old, very quick. FFG appears to want a tournament scene for this game, so it is very important that this combo goes away soon-ish.

I agree that certain combos need to go away, or have counters or other viable options. However, something to remember, DW only came out this year. With the current stuff they are hyping launching now or within the next couple months, I would expect to see some more previews for other stuff in the near future, which will hopefully be Elves, both Wood and Dark. And, a hope they would change the stance on cover, because it would really change the meta, and how terrain is placed if Cover stacked with woods/terrain that gave it.

Westonard, do you mean the line of sight rules? i.e. you wan't to have line of sight blocked when you are in and behind the terrain, as opposed to just when you are behind it?

I wasn't sure on reading that post either. Do you mean that cover from the woods (not line of sight, just regular cover) should stack with stealth? Currently, stealth gives you a cover bonus, but it does not stack with actual cover, and I would be okay with that changing.

I also think it would be nice if being in the woods blocked line of sight, and it would make sense thematically.

Yeah, I was kind of distracted, with trying to do school stuff and attention wandering between three or four things, but Jedhead got what I meant. Where Stealth should stack with Cover from woods, so if you have Stealth, that is -1 ranged die, cover is another -1, down to a minimum of 1 die

So, In a room I moderate in, which is a Warhammer general discussion chat room, people are discussing the current drastic overhaul to the WHFB meta. It occurred to me that very well could also be a reason why WH: DW was put on hold. Either FFG wants to see how things will end up playing out story wise -or- GW told them to wait before they release heroes/units that might be killed off in the current setting.

Edit: Yes, -technically- Isabella von Carstein is dead but she is a general for WHFB, but things can be changing such as..what is currently happening with Naggaroth, which would actually change Dark Elves and High Elves.

Edited by Westonard

So, In a room I moderate in, which is a Warhammer general discussion chat room, people are discussing the current drastic overhaul to the WHFB meta. It occurred to me that very well could also be a reason why WH: DW was put on hold. Either FFG wants to see how things will end up playing out story wise -or- GW told them to wait before they release heroes/units that might be killed off in the current setting.

Edit: Yes, -technically- Isabella von Carstein is dead but she is a general for WHFB, but things can be changing such as..what is currently happening with Naggaroth, which would actually change Dark Elves and High Elves.

I never thought about it in those terms, but that actually makes sense. They have said (or at least strongly hinted) in interviews/In-Flight Reports that they had something akin to this problem with the Star Wars IP, where they run up against resistance from Disney on certain design possibilities due to the "in flux" state of the canon.

In response to the cover consideration, I love the idea of cover and stealth stacking. It would make stealthy units much more pesky to root out of woods, etc., and right now, the stealthy units as designed could use all of the help they can get (in my opinion). They tend to be overcosted so far as my playtesting has been concerned, and the stealth/cover stack would be a mild buff that would certainly not overpower them.

As it stands, I dislike Gutter Runners and Corsairs rather strongly. Gutter Runners in particular seem to always trade poorly. It feels almost like they were designed to be mobile, but they accidentally printed scout or stealth on them instead. Without mobile, they feel like really expensive Marauders.

In the case of the stealth units, it is also possible that their cost makes sense, but only with the other disks from their army that we haven't seen yet. I suspect that most, if not all of the stub armies have units ready to go. Those units may add something we can't see yet that would make those stealth units more useable.

My biggest concern has been with the Vampire Counts, as an army anyway. They just seem to have a very hard time winning. I love them, and want to see them as a viable army, but my win rate with them is very low compared to the Empire or Orc armies I've run.

That said, I'll allow that I may just not understand their strategy well yet. I only get to play a couple games a month, and that can hold you back. Especially when it's a long time between games.

Edited by MechaBri.Zilla

Vampire Counts seem to play differently than other armies. Where most other armies benefit from rushing in on massive Scrums, Vampire Counts benefit more from the long game, with whittling down their enemies and reanimating their own.