Telltale game references

By MarthWMaster, in General Discussion

In case anyone doesn't know, there is an electronic adventure game by the electronic adventure gaming phenomenon, Telltale Games, that acts as a tie-in to the HBO show. It introduces new material to the setting; namely, a closer look at House Forrester, a small noble house pledged to House Glover.

Personally, I would like to see a nod to these characters and plot developments in Second Edition. Now I realize, A Game of Thrones: The Card Game is based strictly on the books, not the show; however, House Forrester, while canon, is not touched upon in any major way in the story and could theoretically exist as an element of the card game without introducing a direct connection to the show, even if the artwork were based on character designs from the game (because again, none of the books tell us what Ethan Forrester or Gared Tuttle look like in the literary canon). Mostly I just think Ethan Forrester is cute and charming, and I would love to play him in a Stark deck.

How does the community feel about this?

I think there are a lot of avenues, settings, characters and Houses left to explore in the world of Westeros. The fact that any of those could show up in the game at some point is kind of cool. For example, consider the interaction between some of the "lesser known" Houses of the North and the Night's Watch, Baratheon, and Greyjoy based on the events of the 5th book - very little of which we have seen in the game so far.

The only note of caution I would throw in is that the licensing, especially the likeness rights, probably gets very tricky between the card game and things related to the HBO show. For example, I have heard tell that FFG has had to send LCG art back to artists to be redone because it looks too much like HBO. If the adventure game is closely tied in look and feel to the HBO show, FFG would probably have to be careful about anything too parallel to the game.