New XCOM Featured News "Something Has To Give"

By Dichotomy, in XCOM: The Board Game

For those of you who don't religiously check the website daily ;)

This one is dedicated to the Commanders role.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5242

Interesting. Was a little surprised that the commander cannot direct budgets. Though it seems like the play order is variable so one player should not be able to always dominate.

If you are interested, remember to check on the links for individual assets, techs (ie Satellite Uplink, Run n Gun, Skyranger, Emergency Funding etc) for more info. They display the entire card and allow to get a more thorough idea of the scope of the game.

Enjoy

I do check daily, how did you know? :P

Just some random thoughts from the article.

I find it quite compelling, actually; I think this gives it a little more edge.

It looks like the Commander should be the most experienced player of the group, which makes sense thematically.

I like how each player, as the head of their individual sections, controls what to spend in their respective area. I think that with a combined budget to dip into it will really force the team to work together looking towards the "big picture" like the article suggests. Very cool idea. :)

I can't wait to jump into this role as well as the others.

This game is gonna rock so hard! Can't wait till Q1! I might have this game in time for my birthday

I do check daily, how did you know? :P

Just some random thoughts from the article.

I find it quite compelling, actually; I think this gives it a little more edge.

It looks like the Commander should be the most experienced player of the group, which makes sense thematically.

I like how each player, as the head of their individual sections, controls what to spend in their respective area. I think that with a combined budget to dip into it will really force the team to work together looking towards the "big picture" like the article suggests. Very cool idea. :)

I can't wait to jump into this role as well as the others.

Yeah I agree. Although to be be completely honest you may play with a more cooperative and strategically minded group then I will (much to my lament (one of them is OK, one is the human version of a lemming, and the final one is best left uncharacterised :) , there all family so what can you do?). It does open up the game to being screwed by one player that cannot be reasoned with, or just as bad, being dominated by one player who dominates the other players decisions. But as I said before as the play order seems to be random (semi-random) that should stop one player from always "going first" and chewing through the budget.

The only problem with the commander I can see is that its would seem to be only effective if people listen to them, and if the y listen to much then you really have one player actually playing the game and 4 rolling the dice. I personally think the commanders role would have been better (and truer to form) if they at least had the ability to direct 1 of the players budgets each round.

I'm probably too hard to please ;)

I agree with RogalDoro01 - game will be great.