Suggestions of Campaigns?

By Richard U. Pickman, in Descent Quest Vault Open Beta

I'm looking for some fan made campaigns.

I have already downloaded Weapons of War and the campaign made by "Nomakz".

(I haven't played any of them yet.)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm not really interested in single quest, I think descent really shines in campaign mode though.

Also, I'd really like to see some random dungeon encounters for when you are travelling between quests. So if anyone is interested in writing some of those i'd be very happy to try them out!

I'm working on a camapgin, but it's not ready yet. random encounters can be worked in as a mechanic to any campaign- here's my idea:

Each time a "no event" travel event occurs, roll a brown dice. If the result is 0, no effect. Otherwise, roll a gray+black, and set up the encounter based on the number rolled (and then have a list of encounters labeled 0-7.)

All someone has to do is design 8 short encounters. I didn't play D1E, so I don't know what these are like, in terms of how long they are, how many monster groups, if there are special objectives, etc. Does the OL keep his cards when moving to the main quest? Do the heroes heal damage?

EDIT: Actually, now that I've seen a summary of the rules for these encounters, you've got me thinking. This wouldn't be that difficult. I'll see if I can't come up with some ideas.

Edited by Zaltyre

Wow, sounds like you have some cool ideas already!

Can't wait to try them out!

Didn't know the original descent had this mechanic already.

Hello!

I have just bought Descent yesterday, but I am wondering if those random encounters could be linked to the travel card events directly. For instance, card 5/10 (German set) has as a woods encounter a group of elves attacked by the overlord with an option for the heroes to intervene (suffering 1 wound) or allowing the overlord to gain 2 overlord cards. Now, this could be played out as an encounter. With enough ideas and prepared encounters, you could get along without any new cards or big mechanisms...

As for healing, maybe healing only half the wounds (but all fatigue and states) before drawing the next travel cards could help keeping in spirit with the original version (so, in the example above, instead of 1 wound for each hero, you would wind up with 0 to half max wounds for each hero.

I am more wondering about rewards for succeeding in such an encounter. Experience would probably unbalance the campaign, maybe a little bit of gold or a random market place (I) item?

Just some loose thoughts there.

Yours,

Deathworks

Deathworks, thanks for the suggestions. I'd prefer not to mess with the already occurring events on travel cards, as I like that most travel events are quick (a damage or fatigue there, a test for some gold, moving on). The random encounters were designed originally to:

-provide a few fleshed out travel events which are involved similar to those in road to legend (first edition)

-break up a spell of "no event" travel if the players wish.

Of course, that can change. There are also many "small room" encounters provided by coop adventures. One could easily draw a random exploration card and cap the map section as a short random encounter.