Greyjoy's deck in Kings of the Sea

By farchettiensis, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

Hi there,

Just got the Kings of the Sea expansion and found it really weird to find the cards of Robb Stark, Randyll Tarly, Myrcella, and Joffrey there. They are marked as Greyjoy cards, which doesn't make any sense to me, because they aren't allies, nor have they ever been, except for Robb, but it doesn't say 'ally'.

So I was wondering what the heck are they doing there? Do they really belong to this deck? Can't I put them in other house's deck, like Robb in the Stark's deck?

They are marked as Greyjoy cards? How so? The little symbol by the collector number just indicates the set, not any sort of in-game meaning. It's the Greyjoy House shield in the corner that really marks a card as a Greyjoy card.

When the Kings of the Sea first came out in the earliest days of the LCG, its purpose was to re-introduce House Greyjoy to the game and fill in holes that existed in the card pool at the time. That's why there is a character with the King or Queen trait for every House and almost all the plots have the Military Battle, Intrigue Gambit or Power Struggle traits.

The cards in the Kings of the Sea expansion are not meant to be a playable deck out of the box, per se . You have to tweak it a bit, particularly by pulling out all the cards with non-Greyjoy House affiliations and maybe swapping plots with your other decks. And now that the expansion comes with 3 copies of each card, you can also double up on the cards you like and take out ones you don't.

Speaking of expansions. Should I get a second core set first? Or could I add another house first. like getting the expansions to add the Greyjoys or the Martels?

Yes, depending on who you ask.

Speaking of expansions. Should I get a second core set first? Or could I add another house first. like getting the expansions to add the Greyjoys or the Martels?

I would say no -- why sink money in a second Core set that will be obsolete in less than a year's time? I received the Core set and the Lannister expansion as gifts last Xmas, and bought the remaining five deluxe house expansions shortly thereafter… and only really started playing the game in the last couple of months. I think I will have gotten my money's worth of playtime from my 1 Core/6 deluxe house expansions by the time second edition is released next year, but I certainly wouldn't buy anything more than that at this point. There are only a few cards from Core in my decks that I need several copies of, and since my decks are built strictly for casual play, then I just include colour copies (printed on card stock) of the additional Core cards I need (all my decks are in opaque sleeves, so you can't tell the difference between originals and copies when drawing.