Questions I have. Trying to learn.

By nokmirt, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

First off can I play two of the same location cards? Like crossroads or Northern Fiefdoms, or would the second location card have to be a duplicate.

Can someone explain deadly to me and how it works?

This game looks really fun. However, the rules are so vague. What they should have done is add an example of play in the rulebook, over 4 rounds or so. That way you can see a variety of cards and how they work. Anyway thanks guys for any help here. As I come up with more questions I'll ask.

You can play additional copies of locations (and characters), provided they don't have the unique symbol next to their title (the little flag symbol that you see, for instance, on Eddard stark). If they do, you'll have to 'duplicate' them rather than get a second copy in play.

Deadly's a little confusing at first (and very confusing much later down the road) - but essentially it boils down to this: After a challenge resolves, if the ATTACKER has more deadly characters than the defender did in the challenge, the defender has to choose and kill one of his defending characters. Functionally it works a little like an incentive not to block - especially for non-military challenges. I'll give you two quick examples:

-Player 1 Attacks declares a military challenge with a character with deadly. Player two blocks with a character that doesn't have deadly. If player 1 wins, player 2 will probably choose that defender to die to claim (since he'll die to deadly anyway). If player 2 wins, fending off the challenge, he'll *still* have to kill off a defending character because he lost the 'deadly' count.

-Player 1 Attacks declares a military challenge with a character with deadly. Player two blocks with a character, Hodor, that does have deadly. Because the deadly count is equal (or if ever the defender has more deadly), deadly is irrelevant and nothing happens.

Remember, there is basically only one scenario where deadly 'does' anything: when the attacker has more deadly characters in the challenge than the defender does.

If you're looking for an example of play, check out the online tutorial offered by FFG here: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=10&esem=4 , it may help!

Edited by -Istaril

The really short version of Deadly:

After you settle claim, award unopposed and Renown, count up the number of attacking characters that have the "Deadly" keyword and the number of defending characters with the "Deadly" keyword. If there are MORE Deadly attackers (for Deadly, ties go to the defender -- different from winning/losing the challenge where ties go to the attacker), the defending player has to choose and kill one of his defending character.

Three "tricky" things to keep in mind:

1) It doesn't matter who won the challenge. The defender could WIN the challenge and still have to kill a character for Deadly.

2) Only defending characters can be killed by Deadly. So if the defending player has no characters in the challenge, no one dies (even if he has 20 characters who did not participate in the challenge).

3) Building on #2, since claim always goes first, it is not uncommon for players to choose their only defending character to die for claim in a military challenge, so they don't have to kill anyone for Deadly. As a result, Deadly means a lot more on characters with an INT or POW icon.

Thanks very much for the help and the explanations. Things are starting to come together in my mind. I have a feeling I am going to have a blast with this game. If I have any more questions I'll ask.

You may want to check on the rules board, too. Some of the questions you come up with, or never even thought to come up with, might have answers there.