Eater + Account Siphon.

By DUsagi, in Android: Netrunner Rules Questions

I could have used any other "instead of accessing" card, but Siphon is the biggest example.

I firmly believe the cards work perfectly together, but it is stirring lots of discussion within my playgroup, and I wondered if there was any official say on it, or at least the general consensus.

I wouldn't like to have to wait till release to have something official on it.

Card texts for reference.

A(3)

Event : Run - Sabotage • Cost: 0 • Influence: 4

Make a run on HQ. If successful, instead of accessing cards you may force the Corp to lose up to 5, then you gain 2 for each credit lost and take 2 tags.

By and large Lukas doesn't issue rulings before release, but if it worked any other way, wouldn't Eater say "You cannot access cards for the remainder of this run" if it weren't meant to synergize with access replacement effects? Of course it works with Account Siphon, and Retrieval Run, and Keyhole, et cetera.

That's what I believe, just want to gauge the general opinion on this fact and if someone can give me big reasons why it wouldnt work.

I think Grimwalker's right, it's probably worded the way it is so you do get an access, albeit a fairly useless one except for the option to replace it. Also, cards can just say "You cannot access any cards." as evidenced by Feint, so it doesn't seem like they just chose an odd way of preventing an access, either.

Edited by AmtsboteHannes

Well, nobody's ever been able to explain to me why you wouldn't lose Ghost Runner/Net Celebrity money to Tollbooth, but they still complained when Lukas said you do.

Feint (you cannot access any cards) is a replacement effect. It replaces the access step entirely.

Eater (you cannot access more than 0 cards) doesn't read like a replacement effect. There's no good reason for the different wording unless it's NOT intended as a replacement effect. Ergo there IS an access step, but you access nothing. That 0 access can still be replaced with a replacement effect.

Good. So I can use Legwork with Eater and still access 2 cards.

No, because you are accessing more than 0 cards in that event. There is an access step, so replacement effects like Security Testing and Account Siphon will still function, but the number of cards you can access is capped at zero if you don't have any other effect that happens upon access.

Edited by Grimwalker

No, because you are accessing more than 0 cards.

Legwork isn't a replacement ability like Keyhole or Siphon.

Ok