Is Percorm stunt a good se of passive observation checks?

By Emirikol, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Thoughts? It is kind of the de facto results for non carded skill

checks. Do you use it for passive checks?

Edited by Emirikol

I have no idea what this means.

Is Percorm stunt a good se of passive observation checks?

Perform a stunt. Am sorry, what does se mean?

Observation checks are observation checks. Even if you were using a mirror/hearing trumpet, you just add or removed difficulty. There arent that many action cards that have an Observation check. I cannot remember any at the minute.

According to the rules Perform a Stunt is for any Actions that do not have a card.

On a related note I always wondered about attempting possible actions that you have not bought the card for. Eg ricochet shot, splint and bandages. You may not be skilled in it but you should be able to attempt them with great difficulty.

Edited by DurakBlackaxe

The only time I use Perform A Stunt is when it is important to make a distinction between an action and a manouver. So generally speaking, it's only if they are in combat and a character wants to do something bigger than what a manouver would allow.

Other than that, I just have them roll a test and make up a result based on what they rolled.

Edited by Ralzar

Stupid phone text! IS supposed to read is whether you use perform stunt f

or passive skill checks such as observation?

I think the action perform a stunt will automatically make whatever you do be non passive.

You are doing some action above and beyond a normal skill.

The card does say if using for physical or mental characteristic, so it could be possible.

Perform a Stunt/must use action whenever something 'active' opposes you is core rule which is what I use. You are trying to just sneak past the crowd per se, Stealth skill as a maneuver, but you are trying to sneak out of the warehouse while the guards such and listen for you, Perform a Stunt.

In terms of doing something an action card covers, at best you should get the single success line and have a harder time doing it, compare using First Aid skill to using Splints and Bandages for example.

Emirikol.

Something tells me you typed that post title in a hurry! ;)

As per RAW, no...the action card, Perform A Stunt is ONLY used in place of an action that isn't covered by a card in the PCs action deck.

A "passive" observation check isn't covered in the RAW, but in the past I've made those rolls myself, behind my GMs screen. Unless the PC has a specific Observation specialization or a talent that covers something like "heightened senses" etc, I just make a raw Observation(Int) check (no expertise dice) behind my screen and keep the result secret if they fail.

However, as I've been running this game on and off for a few years now, I'd have to say that a much easier and more streamlined way of doing this would be to throw the idea of Actions and Maneuvers being separate things out the window, and instead just call anything a player actively does on their turn and Action. This would include movement, attacking, making active skill checks, etc. A "movement action" would allow the player to move their maximum number of range bands, while other "actions" would allow the PC to use an action card, a skill check, etc. This seems much less confusing than trying to decide how to define an action that uses the Perform A Stunt card and a skill check that does not.

Perform a Stunt, should really have been called something like "Use a Skill"...since not all uses of the card can be defined as a "stunt".

This would allow the PC two "actions" per turn.

Edited by GoblynKing