Two for one!

By monster0, in CoC Rules Discussion

1. Sleep of Reason: A little lost on cards of this nature. Does the story get three terror icons that affect all players commited to that story so all have to overcome that number, or does it add three terror icons to the owners characters, or am I way off either way?

2. Fishers From Outside: There are two icons just between the cost number and the name of the card. What is their purpose? I have seen a few cards with icons in the same place but am unsure as to their function. Does this mean that I have to have that many icons of that type in my domain to play it?

monster0 said:

1. Sleep of Reason: A little lost on cards of this nature. Does the story get three terror icons that affect all players commited to that story so all have to overcome that number, or does it add three terror icons to the owners characters, or am I way off either way?

The big red icons on the yellowish background are called 'Booster Icons' which add additional struggles to the story they are associated with. Sleep of Reason thus adds 3 additional Terror Struggles to the story, making it 4 total Terror Struggles. These 'Booster Icons' do not count as icons for the purpose of determining succes, they only add extra struggles.

monster0 said:

2. Fishers From Outside: There are two icons just between the cost number and the name of the card. What is their purpose? I have seen a few cards with icons in the same place but am unsure as to their function. Does this mean that I have to have that many icons of that type in my domain to play it?

This is the 'Steadfast' indicator. It means that you have to have resources among all of the domains that match the Steadfast. So, in case of Fishers, it means you'll need 2 Yog-Sothoth resources among your resources to be able to play it. These resources don't need to be on the domain you are draining for it; They can be on any domain (although you'll need a resource match to play Fishers as well...)

Whew! What a relief! Thanks for clearing that up for me!