Insanity Points for Haunting Children

By Crystal Geyser, in Deathwatch Gamemasters

In my Deathwatch campaign, the Kill-Team has been tasked with assimilating with the humans on a hive world as a moral-boosting exercise for the humans that live there, along with being a display of Imperial strength, and hopefully a humanizing experience for the Astartes. The marines chosen for the mission were all vastly dysfunctional. One of my players is a Raven Guard Devastator, Davian Helios, who is such a master of stealth that his ability to hide under tables is legendary.

Halfway through the mission, after briefing and arming, the kill-team and their Inquisitor deep struck into the garden of a hive spire noble, planning to attend a garden party being held in their honor. The kill team split up to mingle. Our squad leader, Apothecary Reginald of the Scrub Lords chapter, went off into the woods with some of the adolescent nobles to find some of nature's herbs. Assault Brother Miccu of the Blood Angels started stalking through the basement of the manor, searching for victims to exsaguinate.

But we're not here to talk about them.

We're here to talk about Davian Helios.

Davian Helios, Master of Shadows, Nightmare Walker, Pyromaniac, managed to sneak under the kids' table with a natural 02. There he sat for hours in perfect stillness, with not a single child noticing his presence. When an assassination attempt on the noble patriarch surfaces in the form of a fusilier bearing a grenade belt, Helios leapt up, threw the table off of himself, revealing his terror-inducing skeletal power armor.

I had the kids make a test of Fear 1, with a Willpower Stat of 25. They rolled a 99.

While the kids flailed in terror being driven slowly mad, Helios engaged the bomber. A few grenade accidents later, Helios walks back over to the kids table, drenched in burning gore. I have them make another Fear Test, this time against Fear 2.

They roll 100.

I arbitrate the kids all get 1d5 Insanity Points (a roll of 5, no less) and state, similarly to how 10 Courruption points kill minor NPCs, 10 Insanity Points does the same. Helios then proceeds to brag about he literally scared the "half to death."

My question is this - should Helios receive insanity points from the stark terror he induced on those children, and the psychoses they will undoubtedly now have to grow up with?

Depends on how grimdark you want your setting to be. But I'd say no. The kids are still alive so as far as colateral damage goes thats ok. Marines are all about the mission/chapter/Emperor. Children rank somewhere below "Tins of armor polish" on their list of "Things to worry about." (Unless the marine is a Salamander)

I can just imagine a bunch of panicked kids clutching at the robes of a nearby adepta sororita crying and stammering about "the boogyman" while the sister of battle tries to comfort them and mutters to herself about "bloody space marines always making a mess."

Edited by Robin Graves

The Inquisitor has told the Kill-Team that as part of the Immersion Mission she expects them to find lodgings. Once out of earshot, Helios suggested to the others that they find a nice cushy basement or dungeon somewhere within the manor, offering to sneak out and retrieve food and supplies when needed.

I've told Helios he can feel free to add "The Poultrygeist of Menellius Manor" to his roster of honorifics.

Now i think all Raven Guards do between missions is stalking the halls and corriodors of Death watch monasteries/ watch stations and jump out at other marines going "booga booga!"

Edited by Robin Graves

I'm going to be uploading our Deathwatch game to our youtube to channel, so that all of Helios's antics may be documented for the amusement of the forums.

Helios: I'm going to sneak under the Inquisitor's table - *rolls* - 05!

Me: That'll do it.

Reginald: Please say "Boo."

Yes please upload and post a link. This seems hilarious.

6251dab96af2db8ea1d06cfc3cfda7f0.jpg

Boo!

The series is actually a sequel to a Dark heresy 1st edition series we did, both done in a comedic vein meant to parody the grim darkness with some black humor. Sadly, I won't be posting Deathwatch: Domesticated until my friend sends me the files for Dark Heresy: Unsanctioned from his computer.

In the meantime, The link to my channel is here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJI5Rv2XtXxFTdN35m1hvPA/videos

You might enjoy our Dark Heresy Second Edition games, which while they have a more serious vein are in no short supply of ridiculous antics.

Oh god.

But no, I wouldn't give him Insanity.

Years of therapy costs, though.

No insanity, but the moment the killteam needs the nobles to do something have it come back and bit them. Yeah yeah there's the "we're spechmeereens we do what we want." but have fun instilling in them that without the nobles backing there's nothing stopping the entire hive coming down on them and their patron inquisitor.

Speaking of the inquisitor she should be more upset, they've heavily damaged her relationship with the nobility and killed some of her resources in getting them to chill (with her at least).

Oh she's mad.

Worry not.

Astartes going insane because he scared off a few kids during the course of his mission? Pffft. No remorse, no hesitations.

I wonder how a space marine in power armour can fit under a child's table.

I wonder how a space marine in power armour can fit under a child's table.

It's a Raven guard thing... they are ninjas in power armour.

yeah no insanity points here.

Just a severe lawcase by th parents, some dressing down by their commander and a general fuss. Otherwise no insanity points.

Have the big bad space marine apologise to the little kids :D

Are you crazy!? That will make those poor kids even more insane!

moewhahahhahahaa!

SM: why are you crying? I'm just trying to apologise to you! Why are you running away when i try to talk to you? I just wanna be your friend! No don't faint from fear!