House Stark

House Lannister

House Baratheon

House Targaryen

House Tyrell

House Greyjoy

House Martell

The Night's Watch

While I'm a Dothraki at heart, of the factions more or less guaranteed out of the box I'm probably going with Stark, support of Baratheon. I'm Nedly to a fault.

Edited by MarthWMaster

I'm mostly interested in trying Lannister with support from Tyrell.

I'm looking forward to seeing someone build a Lannister with support from Stark just to be as unNedly as possible.

I think I'll still be a Lannister fanboy. They've sunk their claws pretty deep at this point. Though I do have to admit that Tyrell has long been appealing as well. I think I'm likely to play Lannister with Tyrell support, but we'll see what things look like when I have cards in front of me.

Whichever one is the best.

I'd like to claim I'm a Lannister loyalist, but actually I'm a Lannister in philosophy not loyalty when it comes to LCGs. Whatever means are required to win the Game of Thrones will be the means I take.

I'll have to see what Night's Watch do but probably them or Baratheon.

Do we know for sure Tyrell and Night's Watch are the new "houses" ?

Pretty sure. I remember here or on CardGameDB someone made a great case for why the skewered bird sigil on the promotional banner represents the Night's Watch and not House Arryn, and the flower design can only be Tyrell.

Mostly because there's no Crescent Moon, IMO. Swords and Ravens are NW iconography.

and anyway, without knowing the strengths and weaknesses of the houses it's impossible to say where my tastes will lie. Must get more info!

True, this thread is more Nedly than I meant it to be. I should've waited until we have more information.

well, I love playing control, either character control or challenge control. Who's going to get those colors from the pie? We'll find out...

I'll be playing Martell for certain, since I love the House's lore and characters and I also love non-traditional and non-straightforward deck types in card games where you flip the mechanics on its head. I love control, recursion, sideways mechanics, etc. Any house that turns their discard pile into a resource or a challenge loss into a win will instantly have my heart, and I love Martell anyways. (After all, my favorite faction in Call of Cthulhu is Yog-Sothoth ; in Netrunner it's Anarchs ; in LotR it's Spirit ; in Magic: TG it's blue ...sooooo...)

However, if they actually have The Night's Watch, then I'll play them heavily too. Mechanics or no mechanics, I simply love the Night's Watch in the series. Playing with Gren, Jon, Pip, etc. is simply too tempting. Plus, I'm certain they'll have Wildling and Stannis characters mixed in that faction as well. Lots to love.

The only thing I'm uncertain of is Tyrell. They might also have some of the "flip the script" mechanics I love in card games, it's hard to say. I'm definitely intrigued by what they might bring to the table, though they might also just end up being Green Lannisters. I certainly hope that isn't the case.

All of them of course, withour fear or favour

What with variety being the spice of life :)

What is a sideways mechanic?

Like he said, something where your discard pile is a resource, or losing challenges becomes a desired condition. I.E. lots of Martell's first edition color pie. Counterintuitive mechanics that give players fits because the game isn't supposed to be that way. It's a fun way to play because it taxes mental flexibility, where the more they go after their original win condition, the more it plays into your hands.

Martell will probably retain that theme in 2E, since it's really the most thematic way of making them competitive in the sense that their grand schemes hardly ever seem to pan out.

I've never gotten into the First Edition, so there's a chance that I might get Second Edition so I will be able to start off at a level playing field. If I get into the game, I'll probably try Stark first because they are my favorite House from the novels. House Targaryen will be my second choice.

The Night's Watch and Stark. Warden of the North!

I'm not a fan of AGoT, so I'll be playing everything. I may have some preference for control decks.

I'm not a fan of AGoT, so I'll be playing everything. I may have some preference for control decks.

Edited by MarthWMaster

certainly HBO has done a lot for the popularity of all things GOT. They put out that standalone game that was basically AGOT lite.

I will probably play Baratheon, gotta support the one true king. But I'll make sure to give each faction a try to see what game mechanics they each use.

For the first few years I was playing, Greyjoy was my main house. Started with a Noble deck I built during the Melee/Joust cycle, when they started getting so many Noble characters, and it was refined with various changes; I won a regional with the TLV version of that deck. I haven't played as much recently--the meta in Austin is all but dead, hopefully 2E gives it a kick in the butt--so I haven't done much deckbuilding experimentation; my two standby decks are a Dothraki deck and a Quentyn deck.

In all the card games I've played (this, Conquest, Hearthstone) I tend to favor more control-y decks. I'll probably gravitate toward whichever faction feels the most like my style of control (not pure control, more like an aggro-control hybrid). I'll try all the factions, though presently I'm most excited to see what Greyjoy, Martell, and Tyrell are like out of the box. (I don't expect Dothraki will be a viable archetype yet.)

certainly HBO has done a lot for the popularity of all things GOT. They put out that standalone game that was basically AGOT lite.

Indeed. My musing was more the other way around; i.e. whether HBO would have sought the rights to a TV show had this game never been released, and the greater readership resulting from it never having occurred.

I will probably play Baratheon, gotta support the one true king. But I'll make sure to give each faction a try to see what game mechanics they each use.

Let's contemplate the irony of how many Kings in this game are named "Baratheon."

Let's contemplate the irony of how many Kings in this game are named "Baratheon."

5, if I'm not mistaken. Though 2 of them should not have the name. And only 2 of the 5 are still alive as of the last book.