Dantari Crystal?

By yrtalien, in Game Mechanics

When using a Dantari Crystal in your lightsaber, are you able to take advantage of its strain recovery quality, if you use something like force lighting or Move to throw an item at something. near as I can tell both are Force power / combat checks... am I wrong does it only apply when you use something like the Draw Closer talent?

Thanks

I think "using" is the key term here. "When making a Force power check as part of a combat, a character using a lightsaber with a Dantari crystal may spend..."

As in, if you're using a lightsaber with a Dantari crystal when making the Force-powered combat check, you may spend Force points to recover strain. If you're making a Force-powered combat check and not using your Dantari crystal lightsaber, then those Force points can just be spend as normal on whatever the talent or Force power specifies.

It's nice really, since it gives you nice fallback in case your combat check misses or if you otherwise have no use for those generated Force points.

But more to the point, no, when you activate the Move power (which is a combat check) or the Unleash power (which remains dubious), you aren't using your Dantari crystal lightsaber. So...

56611737.jpg

I think "using" is the key term here. "When making a Force power check as part of a combat, a character using a lightsaber with a Dantari crystal may spend..."

As in, if you're using a lightsaber with a Dantari crystal when making the Force-powered combat check, you may spend Force points to recover strain. If you're making a Force-powered combat check and not using your Dantari crystal lightsaber, then those Force points can just be spend as normal on whatever the talent or Force power specifies.

It's nice really, since it gives you nice fallback in case your combat check misses or if you otherwise have no use for those generated Force points.

But more to the point, no, when you activate the Move power (which is a combat check) or the Unleash power (which remains dubious), you aren't using your Dantari crystal lightsaber. So...

Can you give me a couple of examples of when it would apply... because I'm not following (feeling dense today sorry).

Thank you

Can you give me a couple of examples of when it would apply... because I'm not following (feeling dense today sorry).

Thank you

Sure! The Dantari crystal would be of benefit to you when using all of the following:

• the Makashi finish talent (which normally requires a critical injury to be useful--if you roll no Advantage with which to crit, you have a use for all those nice Force points),
  • the Hawk Bat Swoop talent (since a Force point normally only grant you 1 Advantage; this is like a two-for-one deal if you need some strain recovered!).
  • the Saber Throw talent (after you spend your initial 3 Force points to hit and return to hand, some strain recovery is nice for that 4th Force point)
  • the Disruptive Strike talent, if you kill your opponent with the initial combat check...
  • and I think the Intutive Shot talent, if using the two-weapon fighting rules, if you're using your Ranged (Light) weapon as your primary and your lightsaber as your secondary...that should work.

The Strategic Form talent wouldn't work, since it's not a combat check.

Edited by awayputurwpn