A Great Disturbance

By MarthWMaster, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Strategy

"The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is." Yoda, Attack of the Clones

Affiliation: Sith

Objective: (10)

2x Fall of the Jedi (Core 19-1)

2x The Emperor's Web (Core 23-1)

2x Shadows of Dathomir (Core 25-1)

2x Scouring the Empire (Heroes and Legends 100-1)

2x Victory or Death (Lure of the Dark Side 105-1)

Unit: (26)

2x Darth Vader (Core 19-2)

2x Dark Side Apprentice (Core 19-3)

2x Emperor Palpatine (Core 23-2)

2x Emperor's Royal Guard (Core 23-3)

2x Nightsister (Core 25-2)

2x Nightsister (Core 25-3)

2x Rancor (Core 25-4)

2x Jerec (Heroes and Legends 100-2)

2x Imperial Inquisitor (Heroes and Legends 100-3)

2x Imperial Inquisitor (Heroes and Legends 100-4)

2x Victory-class Star Destroyer (Lure of the Dark Side 105-2)

2x Victory-class Star Destroyer (Lure of the Dark Side 105-3)

2x Political Reliability Observer (Lure of the Dark Side 105-4)

Enhancement: (8)

2x Vader's Lightsaber (Core 19-4)

2x Sith Library (Core 23-4)

2x The Hand's Blessing (Core 25-5)

2x Control Room (Lure of the Dark Side 105-5)

Event: (10)

2x Force Choke (Core 19-5)

2x Force Lightning (Core 23-5)

2x Force Choke (Core 23-6)

2x A Disturbance In the Force (Core 25-6)

2x Force Storm (Heroes and Legends 100-5)

Fate: (6)

2x Heat of Battle (Core 19-6)

2x Echoes of the Force (Heroes and Legends 100-6)

2x Echoes of the Force (Lure of the Dark Side 105-6)

For a while now I've wanted to build a deck with 2x Shadows of Dathomir. It's an interesting set, but its situational units have kept it from seeing much play, although I will occasionally splash 1x into a standard Sith deck just for that timely Disturbance or to keep a valuable unit like Palpatine refreshed each turn. Here, though, I wanted to really put a deck together that revolved around the cards in the Dathomir set, specifically the Nightsisters. They are expensive for having only one damage capacity, but the intent is to get as much out of their Reaction as possible.

" Reaction: After this unit is committed to the Force, deal 1 damage to a target objective."

While upon opening a Core Set for the first time this seems like a pretty good effect, ultimately it costs you a Force card and effectively wastes an otherwise decent attacker since she will be focused twice during an engagement. I imagine that was the purpose behind the inclusion of The Hand's Blessing in the same objective set, but now we have various ways of dealing with a less-than-ideal Force commission, and this build is meant to include as many such options as possible: Echoes of the Force, Jerec, Political Reliability Observer, etc. Victory or Death may seem an offbeat inclusion in what is primarily a Character deck, but until we see what awaits in the Rogue Squadron Force cycle, I don't see Vehicle decks managing the Force in the way that the Victory or Death objective set seems to want you to. This deck has enough options for manipulating the Force that the objective itself manages to be useful: If facing a Vehicle deck, your opponent likely won't go after the objective if he sees that you are running mostly Characters ; this is fine as it lets you make use of the deck's Force-related effects in a different way.

I haven't gotten many opportunities to try out this deck yet, though so far it seems to flow fairly well, but I'm willing to experiment with any suggestions, keeping in mind that the deck's purpose is to have maximum control over who is ready and committed during the Force struggle.

Edited by MarthWMaster

Very neat idea. It's like an aggro deck that doesn't attack. You know, this would be a really frustrating deck to face if you had a whole bunch of "while undamaged" objectives.

I think it also looks interesting. I believe that right now Victory or Death rightfully belongs in a deck that can control the Force, and that deck type is Sith.

Seems interesting ! But Scouring the Empire is Sith affiliation only. That only limits playing the destroyers or the Control Room if the objective isn't out though. Since the ships have 3 force pips i don't see this as a problem.

Whoops! Funnily enough this had the correct affiliation when I posted it, but I later changed it, forgetting Scouring the Empire's restriction.

Well that's a bummer. I've been trying to think how we could change it, but I think you're right, medfreeman. Maybe just changing the affiliation and leaving the deck as it is would be best for getting the Nightsisters to work.

I've been trying to think of other builds, but while they may make the deck work nicely, they don't particularly help out our Nightsister friends.

What does everyone thing about adding Dark Alliance as an 11th objective, or cutting something to make room for it? This helps get around the resource requirements on the Victory -class ships as well as the Control Room, and it also gets you an Interrupt cancel, which can't hurt.

I say heck, we're going for a fun build anyway, let's throw it in and see how much damage we can do with it! ;)