The comanders speech

By amuller93, in Only War Game Masters

When playing only war, you need to have a commander giving a good speech befor a battel. So i was thinking why not put youre speech in this tread or tips on making a speech.

Honestly, I prefer to give the player the position of Command, and see what they come out with. Ultimately, this is the story of their characters, after all.

Still, not a bad idea to get players and GMs alike to think about it.

When playing only war, you need to have a commander giving a good speech befor a battel. So i was thinking why not put youre speech in this tread or tips on making a speech.

Whose usually giving this speech? One of my little gaps in understanding, possibly stemming from a lack of real military experience, and also probably a result of the Guard's labyrinthine and varied structure of forces, I don't know what level of "Commander" is the Officer a typical group of your players would be hearing. Your unit might be led by a "Sergeant", though that is, in my mind as much a "s/he's a character built to lead and inspire", as much as their official rank, and they might have some other title, so if your squad is led by a Lieutenant, they'd need something above that, or whatever.

It's also sort of my gripe with what I otherwise much like of the Commander Advanced Package; I don't know where in the "words of rank I know" military hierarchy that puts you. If you were not the Sergeant, and grabbed it, you might now be a Sergeant. If the Sergeant took it (I don't see it as wasteful stacking, but some others might), might he be a Lieutenant, some Staff-Sergeant/Master-Sergeant, or is it just another "a word that means s/he leads, maybe even if before, they didn't", and has no impact on some rank? Also, at what point does your Officer stop being a mission-taking soldier, and start being more "guard the base", or a paper-pusher? eventually, you get to a point where you hide in the bunker, formulating strategy, while other troopers go shoot Orks and heretics. It's humorous, if also a bit annoying to my uneducated on the topic brain that they give us a military-themed game, but "rank" has next to nothing to do with the playing of it. I suppose the players might not want to get to a point where they stop being "real soldiers", and become tacticians who send their underlings off to glory and/or death, but I've never understood the real cutoff point of rank or that.

Sorry, that probably has next to nothing to do with anything. Still, in your example, who gives the speech? Is it a Corporal-analogue, Some sort of General? Is the Lord-Militant ever expected to address masses of soldiers, if they happen to be at his Kulth base, or is he always plotting from his Proteus Command Bunker, while an attache gets the PR job?

Edited by venkelos

If I may, one of the wonderful things about Only War and RPGs in general is that the story is what you choose to make it. In my current game, a player is a Captain. In our next game we are playing, we're a squad of assorted mercenaries both alien and human. I've ran games as the Arbites.

Creativity is not in the rules. It's in how you apply them.

Usually, if I narrate someone giving a speech as a GM or some other public display, it falls under two rules: Noncombat and combat.

Combat is easy. Keep it short and sweet, something like "Over the top! For the God-Emperor!" If it's longer than that, the speech-giver is making him/herself a target and should be promptly shot by a sniper or a stray las-round. Or, if you want to make your players roll for Insanity or Fear, a Bolt round. To the forehead.

Noncombat speeches I find are much harder. Generally, I look to old World War II propaganda pieces for that. Look up the letter Eisenhower sent to the allied armies on the eve of D-Day. It'd be pretty easy to copy/paste it, then insert an Imperium and God-Emperor here and there to make it fit. Then just print several copies, and hand it out when your players go for requisition before the big attack they'll be taking part in. If the squad is illiterate (Death Worlders) then read it in monotone like a servitor.

Why give a speech? Clear and concise orders should remove any doubts from your soldier's minds.

The Imperial Infantryman's Handbook from The Black Library has some good ones in the "Uplifting Primer" bit.

It also has absolute gold, like saying that Orks, while large are weaker than humans due to less muscle density