Tailor made NPCs to kill PCs

By cyclocius, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

I've been running RPGs for eight years, and I almost always am in some way involved in a game of Dark Heresy at any one point, usually GMing it.

I've hit a rough spot with my current party though, they're a fairly high powered bunch and they tick all the boxes. They roleplay well, they could tell you what's happening in the plot if you asked them, they remember their Inquisitors name half the time, they really want to get the bad guy.

Only problem is their composition. It's a three player group, Pyromancer Psyker, Untouchable and Cleric. The Untouchable is something of a swiss-army knife and has a little bit of everything and lucky enough rolls to get away with it half the time. The Psyker is something ridiculous like Psy Level Eight and fifty Corruption points. He's also undergone a Cybernetic resurrection after he blew himself up by not realising that Inferno has an area of effect and, yes, he was in it. He now has the Machine Trait, Fear 2 and is a walking talking Ravenor with none of the subtlety. The Cleric would be the groups face, but the group scares the bejeesus out of anyone they meet. One is a soulless abomination and the other makes people wet the bed. This isn't the problem however.

The Problem is combat. The Group are investigating Slaaneshi taint in the Adeptus Mechanicus (It runs all the way up to the Grand Fabricator of the sector, and has suffused the Legio Cybernettica division) and they further the plot by banging people over the head with pistol butts or ripping the information from their mind. I don't mind that, that's the type of game they want to play, but it's hard to challenge the players with interesting and engaging combats so they feel like they earnt this information.

There's pretty much nothing that the Psyker won't respond with that isn't Molten Beam. If it had a shorter range, I'd be fine with it but it's currently a forty metre one-hit kill on whatever is the biggest threat. But if he's damaged or incapacitated, it's a wipe for the party as the Untouchable has a boltgun and a sniper rifle that he always misses with when it counts most. The Cleric isn't built to deal with combat and is trying to build a small army of fanatics to follow him about with flamethrowers and pitchforks to work around this.

The Group have made a fairly obvious enemy of the Mechanicum, surviving two Ambushes staged through the power of Molten Beam and Sniper fire. I'm toying with the idea of high end elite Assassins, specifically tailored to deal with the PCs. They're the most prestigious and credible threat to the Mechanicum in the sector so I don't think it's unreasonable, but what do you guys think about making NPCs specifically to try and kill the PCs?

Honestly, some skitaari with lascannons should do it. The mechanicum doesn't muck about.

Honestly, some skitaari with lascannons should do it. The mechanicum doesn't muck about.

They would be included. They're Ordo Malleus and like fighting Demons and it gives the Priest something to shout about and the Psyker something to be ever so slowly corrupted by so it's all good in my books and some Daemonettes would be included.

The OP sets off a lot of red flags in my brain so I'll just ask this: why do you, as the GM, want to kill your players' characters?

The OP sets off a lot of red flags in my brain so I'll just ask this: why do you, as the GM, want to kill your players' characters?

I don't want to kill them, I just feel that their characters don't fully appreciate what wheels they've set in motion and the fact that they're currently playing in the middle of a motorway and merrily skipping out of the way of every car while it spins out of control. When the third act rolls around and there're Daemon-robots springing out of the Wazoo I don't want the players to go "Eh? Why'd you spring this on us?" It's good to see the warning sign before you play on the traintracks.

It's not about killing them, it's about sending a message.

We had a similar situation not long ago, and the GM there unleashed a self-regenerating nanoswarm on the players. They couldn't destroy it with conventional methods, only scatter it for a few Rounds. IIRC, the party had to activate three EMP generators on three different levels of a massive skyscraper then use a control terminal to vaporize the nanoswarm with a haywire blast. As a bonus, the nanoswarm could deactivate the EMP generators and mess up the control terminal.

I'm totally on board with in-character actions having in-world consequences, but that isn't what you asked. You asked how to go about killing their characters more or less as punishment for their particularly violent approach to problem solving. It smacks of you, the GM, wanting to punish your players for not playing the game in a way you deem acceptable.

How about instead of giving them unwinnable combats you give them problems that can't be solved with violence? Or just accept that violence is the only tool they care to use and play that to its logical conclusion - that they're too much of a liability to work as sanctioned Throne agents and have their Inquisitor cut them loose (a problem that can't really be solved with violence).

I don't want to kill them, I just feel that their characters don't fully appreciate what wheels they've set in motion and the fact that they're currently playing in the middle of a motorway and merrily skipping out of the way of every car while it spins out of control. When the third act rolls around and there're Daemon-robots springing out of the Wazoo I don't want the players to go "Eh? Why'd you spring this on us?" It's good to see the warning sign before you play on the traintracks.

If you're trying to teach your players a "lesson" consider whether you've gone out of the GM role and into either vengeful teenager/weird parental figure. It's not your job to teach them lessons.

That said, if you're going to ignore all of the above just cheat and send them against a literal horde of dozens of people. After you've rolled up the combat, they'll have hopefully learned the "lesson" (that playing with a GM who tries to send players a message rather than characters is not fun).

Also, if you're worrying about your players going "eh what's this," that is your instinct telling you that you are trying to mess up their fun. Listen to your instinct on this one.

Edited by Nimsim

I'm totally on board with in-character actions having in-world consequences, but that isn't what you asked. You asked how to go about killing their characters more or less as punishment for their particularly violent approach to problem solving. It smacks of you, the GM, wanting to punish your players for not playing the game in a way you deem acceptable.

How about instead of giving them unwinnable combats you give them problems that can't be solved with violence? Or just accept that violence is the only tool they care to use and play that to its logical conclusion - that they're too much of a liability to work as sanctioned Throne agents and have their Inquisitor cut them loose (a problem that can't really be solved with violence).

That's a terrible miscommunication on my part then, sorry!

They've had their fair share of problems that can't be solved with violence, but it culminated in them finding a Centurion class War Machine, shackled in rusted chains and daubed in dried bodily fluids. It trembled and shook and the Psyker could feel the Immaterium suffusing the machine itself. It activated, detecting prey and the Psyker molten-beamed it, freeing the Daemon inside. Once they realised it wasn't a Hereticus plot, but Malleus, their forté (!), they went full-witch hunt and there's been quite a bit of collateral. It has in-universe effects, but they just seem to be ignoring them and saying "We'll take this punishment, because there's DAEMONS!" Which is heroic, but if the punishment isn't...felt, it's not a punishment and there doesn't really seem to be a point to it.

The Untouchable is set on summoning their Inquisitor to the Sector to aid them, which is a good idea, but he's none too happy with their actions. He's a more subtle, Amalathian type who would investigate a Heresy and ensure he has as much information as possible before calling in the Imperial Navy to make sure nothing within a kilometre of said heresy survives. Comparatively, the group are wild gardners, snipping off the bud of Heresy but coming no closer to the source.

I'd considered cutting them loose, but again, I couldn't really justify it. The Psyker is (as I understand it), mid to high level Gamma and an Untouchable is a boon that no sane Inquisitor could ignore. He's made this clear to them, via Astropathic reprimands telling them to sort out their collateral issues or he'd have to intervene. I'm not even sure what he'd do, since some of them seem to be willing to ignore punishment. At one point (after the Psyker immolated himself and burnt the Clerics fate points), the Inquisitor ordered Inquisitorial staff to follow the PCs about, collars were fitted to ensure the Untouchable was never more than five metres away from the Psyker so this wouldn't happen again. The Untouchable cared about this and roleplayed it really well, but his counterpart less so. "It's the price of duty!"

There are ways to send a message that aren't killing their characters. Are they all orphans who never form attachments to anyone or anything they meet? Unless that's the case, they should all have weak points that you can target in the story without having to specifically set out to take a players character away from them. Even if the group IS a bunch of murder hobos, just set up a really awesome item or prize for them to go after, then have it all either be a setup by the mechanicus, or have the mechanics reach first.

If you're trying to teach your players a "lesson" consider whether you've gone out of the GM role and into either vengeful teenager/weird parental figure. It's not your job to teach them lessons.

That said, if you're going to ignore all of the above just cheat and send them against a literal horde of dozens of people. After you've rolled up the combat, they'll have hopefully learned the "lesson" (that playing with a GM who tries to send players a message rather than characters is not fun).

Also, if you're worrying about your players going "eh what's this," that is your instinct telling you that you are trying to mess up their fun. Listen to your instinct on this one.

They are arguably murderhobos, aside from the Untouchable who is a strong roleplayer. He has a small group of followers who he delegates stuff to, things like preparing information dossiers, a socialite etc. I had considered targetting them but was erring around it coming off as taking the players toys away, which I don't want to be the case.

I fear I blurred the lines between player and character though. The players themselves are fine, good friends and all that. I'm trying to convey an in-character meaning, to their characters. That they're in a dangerous situation and that they need to be careful, I don't think that's unreasonable but I realise I phrased it in the worst possible way!

Hmm, have you tried throwing some [Culexus Assassins] from {Rogue Trader - The Navis Primer} at them? Or a [Discordant] from {Dark Heresy - The Lathe Worlds}? What about someone playing the [bone Flute] from {Dark Heresy - The Radical's Handbook}? Those would all make for some interesting encounters, though they're hardly related to the Mechanicum.

There are ways to send a message that aren't killing their characters. Are they all orphans who never form attachments to anyone or anything they meet? Unless that's the case, they should all have weak points that you can target in the story without having to specifically set out to take a players character away from them. Even if the group IS a bunch of murder hobos, just set up a really awesome item or prize for them to go after, then have it all either be a setup by the mechanicus, or have the mechanics reach first.

They are arguably murderhobos, aside from the Untouchable who is a strong roleplayer. He has a small group of followers who he delegates stuff to, things like preparing information dossiers, a socialite etc. I had considered targetting them but was erring around it coming off as taking the players toys away, which I don't want to be the case.

I fear I blurred the lines between player and character though. The players themselves are fine, good friends and all that. I'm trying to convey an in-character meaning, to their characters. That they're in a dangerous situation and that they need to be careful, I don't think that's unreasonable but I realise I phrased it in the worst possible way!

Like I said, create an irresistible McGuffin (eg immortality, stc, riches, their worst enemy's head on a pike, a team pet/mascot) and then have the people they've pissed of take it away from them. If the players fight it, let them do some damage, but still be unable to get te McGuffin. Get the players invested in resolving the story for their characters, piss them off. Pull a game of thrones with a character they like or an item they want. Maybe even have their inquisitor do this to them. Don't try to force them into playing one way, just give them an opportunity to play the way they want and see how far they'll take it. Start bringing in corruption in the form of Khorne or other gods. What are the players willing to sacrifice of their characters to be myrder hobos? This should be more fun for everyone than killing them off.

Consider the inquisition will use "the right tool for the job". If they just blow **** up, period, run a few hack and slash missions.

Be very careful about targetting the followers - it will often come across as punishing the one that has made himself something more than a loner orphan for having friends.

If you've already stated several times that wheels have been put in motion, let the wheels turn. If they dance merrily on the highway while things are spinning out of control, describe how things are piling up, and leave to the players whether or not to wisely heed those warnings. If you want them to dig deeper rather than just nipping off buds, throw them hooks and see if they bite. Heck, let some of those hooks hold hack-and-slash bait if they enjoy it so much. If not, let the third act commence in its full glory of carnage and corruption. The cause-and-effect chain does not always need to be clear to all players before the fact, that is an undeniable fact of a universe that does not revolve around three acolytes. It should, however, be somewhat clear after the fact, if they survive.

I agree completely with Johkmil. It is certainly fine to target characters indirectly by threatening their allies or companions; this is seen all the time in books and movies and is appropriate for certain situations and enemies. Other enemies, however, will not be afraid to attack a warband directly. These are very powerful enemies indeed, and if someone realizes the Inquisition is after them, they will have no choice but to respond. Killing an Inquisitorial cell will likely only buy some time, but might buy anywhere from a few days to years or more, depending on how involved the Inquisition is in the sector you describe. Back on topic, if someone with nefarious schemes detects authorities coming after them, sending a team of dedicated killers to intercept them isn't a stupid move, especially given that the warband is being as unsubtle as it seems to. An enemy would have plenty of opportunity and information to assemble a group customized to minimize the warband's advantages, and to exploit any weaknesses. This might be unfair to the players, but is (I think) a pretty realistic consequence of the player's actions. I think there was even a published adventure for first edition where the cell was being hunted by either another Inquisitors cell or an enemy of the Inquisition. If players want to fight, give them the fight of their lives. Let the chips fall where they may. It actually sounds like a pretty fun game to me!

Also agree with Johkmil.

The Mechanicus doesn't mess about. They're also substantially smarter than people like, and are one of the only factions with access to better tech than the inquisition.

If the players are in go-go collateral damage mode, then their subtlety is shot to buggery, and if they're using their pyromancer as a Person Of Mass Destruction, that'll be who the enemy makes preparations to deal with.

Have them locate a source/witness/important heretic. Let them take out his bodyguard. As they proceed to the brain-wibbling, they find that the arch-heretic has had anti-interrogation protocols put into his more important servants. Any biometric indication that the individual is under psychic interrogation, and it causes massive cerebral trauma causing either death or a permentant vegetative state. If you want an interesting mission interlude, have the psyker 'stuck' in the heretic's psyche as it's collapsing around him, trying to find a way out.

Tailored NPC assassins are possible, but throwing them into potentially fatal non-combat situations is a logical way to deal with an invincible combat threat. You can't use molten beam or sniper rifles to get around the fact that the ship's gellar field is wired with explosives that will trigger two hours after the warp engine fires.

If you want to throw something interesting at the players other than raw power, consider the Magos laying his hands on a Great Crusade-era protiphage chamber (let the players come across the word 'protiphage' - kudos to them if they manage to place it!). This lets him churn out (well - slowly and carefully grow) untouchables to order. This could prove extremely concerning to a cell whose heavy hitter is a psyker, and is also a very useful asset to a daemonologist warpsmith; untouchable servitors, for example, can handle corrupted artefacts without all those nasty side-effects like insanity and tentacles.

And yes, the players must have some support structure that can be attacked. This isn't 'sending a message' to the players - it's 'sending a message' to the acolytes , their characters. Back off - or else.

Every player has an Influence characteristic. This can represent anything - money, favours, whatever. Whatever it is, it ultimately resides in something tangible that they are not carrying on their persons 24-7.

Even if a player isn't a roleplayer and is more a hack-n-slasher, this matters. Tell him "your old contact 'Twitch' has gone missing" and the roleplayer will care. Tell him "your old contact 'Twitch' has gone missing - the loss of underworld contacts is worth a 3-point loss in influence" and even the most combat-focused person will start to take notice, even if he's never heard of 'Twitch' before you mentioned him.

Also agree with Johkmil.

The Mechanicus doesn't mess about. They're also substantially smarter than people like, and are one of the only factions with access to better tech than the inquisition.

If the players are in go-go collateral damage mode, then their subtlety is shot to buggery, and if they're using their pyromancer as a Person Of Mass Destruction, that'll be who the enemy makes preparations to deal with.

Have them locate a source/witness/important heretic. Let them take out his bodyguard. As they proceed to the brain-wibbling, they find that the arch-heretic has had anti-interrogation protocols put into his more important servants. Any biometric indication that the individual is under psychic interrogation, and it causes massive cerebral trauma causing either death or a permentant vegetative state. If you want an interesting mission interlude, have the psyker 'stuck' in the heretic's psyche as it's collapsing around him, trying to find a way out.

Tailored NPC assassins are possible, but throwing them into potentially fatal non-combat situations is a logical way to deal with an invincible combat threat. You can't use molten beam or sniper rifles to get around the fact that the ship's gellar field is wired with explosives that will trigger two hours after the warp engine fires.

If you want to throw something interesting at the players other than raw power, consider the Magos laying his hands on a Great Crusade-era protiphage chamber (let the players come across the word 'protiphage' - kudos to them if they manage to place it!). This lets him churn out (well - slowly and carefully grow) untouchables to order. This could prove extremely concerning to a cell whose heavy hitter is a psyker, and is also a very useful asset to a daemonologist warpsmith; untouchable servitors, for example, can handle corrupted artefacts without all those nasty side-effects like insanity and tentacles.

And yes, the players must have some support structure that can be attacked. This isn't 'sending a message' to the players - it's 'sending a message' to the acolytes , their characters. Back off - or else.

Every player has an Influence characteristic. This can represent anything - money, favours, whatever. Whatever it is, it ultimately resides in something tangible that they are not carrying on their persons 24-7.

Even if a player isn't a roleplayer and is more a hack-n-slasher, this matters. Tell him "your old contact 'Twitch' has gone missing" and the roleplayer will care. Tell him "your old contact 'Twitch' has gone missing - the loss of underworld contacts is worth a 3-point loss in influence" and even the most combat-focused person will start to take notice, even if he's never heard of 'Twitch' before you mentioned him.

Cheers buddy, this is really good stuff. I constantly gave the wrong impression in this thread of being a child throwing his toys out the pram!

I'm actually already using a few of these suggestions myself, specifically the mind scrubbing. One of the plot hooks for the Untouchable is that a disgraced Interrogator has put a hit on him, being the only person who can confirm that said Radical Interrogator is still alive. The hitman was overcome and subdued, but found to have extensive subliminal defences that would cause strokes and Cerebral Collapse (Not even sure if it's a real thing but what the hell) if probed in regards to certain matters). Mechanicum affiliates are set to target certain characters background figures as well as even items. The Psyker managed to befriend a Naval Dockmaster and after some very persuasive "We're mates right?", he's getting a ship built for him. It's a glorified Guncutter essentially with no warp travel capabilities, but the players collectively agreed they wanted a good base of operations/not need to be dependent on playing ride-along on pilgrim vessels, a ship of their own is a prime solution.

I don't want to immediately damage it, but it's a clear and I'm sure it'll be used to, deadly threat that the Mechanicum won't want to ignore. Letting the players milk it for all its worth for five or six sessions before stepping up threats to engage the Ship directly doesn't seem to disproportionate to me.

I'd never heard of a Protiphage chamber before, but googling it seems to indicate that it allows the Pariah Gene to be replicated for Culexis Assassins. Which is certainly a horrific prospect, but I may not have to follow it through. The Mechanicum are corrupt and in the thrall of Slaanesh, it wouldn't make sense for them to practically have the ability to shut themselves off from the Prince of Pleasure's influence (in a roundabout kind of way).

Cheers for the input guys, I really appreciate it! :)

I don't want to immediately damage it, but it's a clear and I'm sure it'll be used to, deadly threat that the Mechanicum won't want to ignore. Letting the players milk it for all its worth for five or six sessions before stepping up threats to engage the Ship directly doesn't seem to disproportionate to me.

Oh, definitely.

It may take that long for the mechanicus to connect that guncutter with the acolyte cell, but once they do, they are essentially waving a big red flag whenever they use it to relocate... and Mechanicus is one of the few factions outside the imperial navy with access to proper naval forces, from diddy system patrol gunboats right up to eight-kilometre-long battleships.

I'd never heard of a Protiphage chamber before, but googling it seems to indicate that it allows the Pariah Gene to be replicated for Culexis Assassins. Which is certainly a horrific prospect, but I may not have to follow it through. The Mechanicum are corrupt and in the thrall of Slaanesh, it wouldn't make sense for them to practically have the ability to shut themselves off from the Prince of Pleasure's influence (in a roundabout kind of way).

Them, no. It produces untouchable clones, as stated - and they have all sorts of uses for a warpsmith.

As an alternative, then, why not have them use their daemonic patron's abilities in a more subtle way.

See previous comments about the hitman with the tripwired psyche. Imagine they encounter another one, who they defeat.

They subdue, capture, and find he's got similar conditioning. The psyker, however, does not believe these mental wards are as good (possibly weakened by the trauma of his injuries), and has (probably) been studying relevant psykana lore (at least, if he's got any sense he's been doing that).

Therefore, with a suitably deep telepathic probe, he can punch through and get some useful information.

Said information may or may not be accurate (amazing how easy it is to misdirect someone if you lie to and/or brainscrub your own minions), but what's far more important is that said hitman is carrying the real "weapon" inside his psyche. Just a minor slaaneshi entity. Not world-destroying, or massively powerful, but.....you know....now loose in your subconcious.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Oh, definitely.

It may take that long for the mechanicus to connect that guncutter with the acolyte cell, but once they do, they are essentially waving a big red flag whenever they use it to relocate... and Mechanicus is one of the few factions outside the imperial navy with access to proper naval forces, from diddy system patrol gunboats right up to eight-kilometre-long battleships.

I'd like to quote the Psyker in question here:

Gotta be covered in Inquisition markings and stuff though

Like totally covered

scrolls flying off all over the shop as well

I don't think it'll take too long for it to become clear :v

Them, no. It produces untouchable clones, as stated - and they have all sorts of uses for a warpsmith.

As an alternative, then, why not have them use their daemonic patron's abilities in a more subtle way.

See previous comments about the hitman with the tripwired psyche. Imagine they encounter another one, who they defeat.

They subdue, capture, and find he's got similar conditioning. The psyker, however, does not believe these mental wards are as good (possibly weakened by the trauma of his injuries), and has (probably) been studying relevant psykana lore (at least, if he's got any sense he's been doing that).

Therefore, with a suitably deep telepathic probe, he can punch through and get some useful information.

Said information may or may not be accurate (amazing how easy it is to misdirect someone if you lie to and/or brainscrub your own minions), but what's far more important is that said hitman is carrying the real "weapon" inside his psyche. Just a minor slaaneshi entity. Not world-destroying, or massively powerful, but.....you know....now loose in your subconcious.

The Psyker has put every available point of XP he has into being super-dead killy, if his WP stat makes him better at being killy then he's put points into it. He's pretty mentally imposing, it's the Untouchable who's poured XP into forbidden lore Daemonology, warp, inquisition, heresy etc. I absolutely love that idea though, and I may have to steal it. He's currently trying to rebuild an Organic body for him after a Cbernetic Resurrection and he's going to be getting some help from a Daemonhost in this. Maybe some sort of...meme Demon, Logi Demon I think they're called? A memetic one that could slowly take over his Mechanical body.

Edited by cyclocius

Data-phage, if you want it to be entirely software - a malevolent AI rather than a daemon per se. A very nice idea; He - or at least his organic bits - are immune to the warp. That doesn't mean he can't be possessed.....

Why not use the tools of the AdMech to take them prisoners? Target the Psyker with a Haywire field, that should short his Cyberbody out. Get the others with Webbers or nonlethal grenades or just think of some funny stuff the Mechanicum would use to do that. For example a Stasis-Cannon. Instead of normal damage this would inflict Agility damage. Reduce their Ag to 0 and you can just collect them like fallen apples.

Take their toys (weapons/armour/gear) away, then put them in a Mechanicum holding/interrogation chamber. Fit the Psyker with an Anti-Psy Collar and disable the most of his implants. Have fun watching them escape with only their wits and creativity.

In the meantime the Mechanicum can target their support structures and take that away. When they get out (they should, otherwise you'd just ruin the fun for the players) they stand in the ruins of their former lifes. If you want to be mean, take the support of their Inquisitor away until they have proven themself to him again.

Why not use the tools of the AdMech to take them prisoners? Target the Psyker with a Haywire field, that should short his Cyberbody out. Get the others with Webbers or nonlethal grenades or just think of some funny stuff the Mechanicum would use to do that. For example a Stasis-Cannon. Instead of normal damage this would inflict Agility damage. Reduce their Ag to 0 and you can just collect them like fallen apples.

Take their toys (weapons/armour/gear) away, then put them in a Mechanicum holding/interrogation chamber. Fit the Psyker with an Anti-Psy Collar and disable the most of his implants. Have fun watching them escape with only their wits and creativity.

In the meantime the Mechanicum can target their support structures and take that away. When they get out (they should, otherwise you'd just ruin the fun for the players) they stand in the ruins of their former lifes. If you want to be mean, take the support of their Inquisitor away until they have proven themself to him again.

I may as well update everyone on what happened, it's been a bit of a rollercoaster.

The Psyker is royally screwed, he was discovered in his Heresy and attempts to build a new body by his Cell-mates. This happened in the presence of a Radical Inquisitor (who owns the Daemonhost that was aiding him). After a disagreement and serious case of friendly fire, this Inquisitor took a bullet in the throat that left him helpless and in need of a ritual that would save his life through means most malefic indeed. The group as a whole are unaware of what this ritual entailed and instead dealt with the heretical psyker in their midst! It was a fantastic roleplay session and ended with the Untouchable telling the Psyker "I will leave you with this Inquisitor now, but if I see you again then I will kill you".

Cut forward in time, the Psyker escapes the Radicals custody and contacts a puritanical Inquisitor who is focussed in her persecution of these Adeptus Mechanicus Hereteks, he swore all sorts of oaths to prove his loyalty and was given a task. It was believed that a Planetary Governor of a Hive World was in talks with the Adeptus Mechanicus, the Inquisitor doubted his loyalty to the Imperium and sent the Psyker and a squad of her men to ascertain his allegiances.

It was messy, but after two hours of combat the Governors palace was burnt down, it was filled with Hereteks although none were expecting quite the fight that the Psyker bought. He returned to the Inquisitor with the Planetary Governor, "ask him yourself". Long story short, he'd agreed to let the Mechanicum use his planet in return for REVENGE MWAHAHAHAH! against his Brother (another planetary governor of the Sector capital). The Psyker interrupts the Interrogation by melting the Governors head between his hands. I end the session to cry to myself a little bit.

A week later, the Inquisitor receives messages from this Hive World, pict captures showing the Adeptus Mechanicus prowling the streets and hosting public executions of Inquisitorial Operatives and Agents. It's made clear that somehow, this world isn't friendly to the Inquisition any more. The Psyker begs the Inquisitor, "put me in coach!" she agrees, leaving to muster an Inquisitorial Response while he serves as boots on the ground. His first course of action is to fly over a Hostile Hive in his big Inquisitorial Gun-cutter. He gets shot down after trying to land in the centre of the main spire. He's now on the run in a Hive gone to hell, Daemonnettes are being summoned in and mad science is taking over, he's burnt two fate points in as many sessions because he felt the best way to deal with a problem was VORTEX OF DOOOOM! He's outta Fates now, really landed himself in it.

Your psyker is hilariously "not smart". I approve.

As a fellow GM , I pitty you