More friendly for two people?

By BattleZone, in General Discussion

One thing I hated about the old version was the fact that you had to ignore rules for two player games. Will that change at all with this version?

I imagine that is going to be one of their goals when developing the new core set. Your concern was that of many players about the 1.0 core set.

Obviously you could play 2 player 1.0 core set, but it wasn't a very good demonstration of Joust play at all.

Besided the multiplayer board, which rules of the game did you have to ignore?

mostly that the entire rulebook was written with 4-player in mind, with "Joust" as a variant in the back of the book. So you had to constantly mentally subtract the number of opponents from what was written.

Other than the ones associated with using the "Multiplayer Titles," I'm not sure which game rules you ignore in a 2-player game?

That said, the 1st Ed. Core Set itself is unapologetic in its focus on multiplayer play. As Bomb says, the decks are not designed for an "out-of-box" 2-player experience, and the text of many cards -- particularly plots -- give them little to no practical function in a 2-player game.

So while we can hope the 2nd Ed. Core Set is more balanced to highlight the virtues of both formats, I don't think the rules are likely to change much in terms of what does and doesn't apply between the 2-player and multiplayer formats. Judging by the newer LCGs, though, the rule book will almost certainly be better written.

It's a very strange thing. If you go online and search for the video tutorial. The game is presented in its Joust format, with Melee as the variant option. I prefer Melee, personally, since I can get a 1v1 experience anywhere. But I realize it's not for everyone.

You couldn't be more right, Ktom. I've never used the Core Set decks (since I started playing several years in, I bought deluxes and chapter packs right at the start), but I got the impression that they're not very good for melee and horrible for joust (especially if you're playing Targaryen, with Condemned by the Realm offering a targeted kill to your opponent).

don't know about you guys,

but i would love a change in the challenge phase, instead of doing all your challenges one after the other, and the other player just defending,

it would be better if it swapped challenges between the players, that makes the challenge game more strategical, and also if you're the second player you still got a chance to do some serious damage, not only withstand the punishment.

might be only for just mode (1vs.1). because its too straight forward, attack with everything you got hoping the defending player kneels everything he's got so you don't get hit back

if you alternate the challenges during the phase, cards that doesn't kneel to attack or defend still might get compromised in the sake of defending or attacking a very important challenge.

they can even print a card with all the challenges icons and you can count witch one you've already started (even wined) by placing coins or power tokens.

it might sound far-fetched but i think its a good idea