Doubts about returning to AGoT with 2nd Ed

By BenStark, in General Discussion

A few years ago, I bought hard and heavy into this game. Core set, all deluxe expansions, and by time I started working on the chapter packs I had burned out. I sold it all off and swore off card games.

I picked LotR and the old card game bug came back, and I love the Westeros setting, so I decided a few days before the announcement of 2nd Edition that I would get back into the game, but restrict myself to two houses. But then 2nd Edition was announced and I'm having serious doubts. My gut instinct is to just say "no" and let it go. But I want to discuss with someone else (besides my wife, who gives me the "I'll kill you if you bring this up again" look).

Is AGoT still for me? Should I stick with 1st or should I await 2nd and see if any changes are enough to convince me to return?

My advice is if you're keen on AGOT and have any sort of local playgroup - start playing. Don't invest in the cardpool; borrow from your local meta, print proxies, play draft when possible. The "feel" of the game shouldn't change much, and the meta is in a great place right now for deck variety etc. If you find yourself rekindling the old love, you'll get to jump in to AGOT2.0 on the ground floor with the rest of us, and if you don't, you'll have "wasted" the investment of a couple of draft packs.

Those of us who have been playing for a while are still looking forward to this upcoming season of organized play as a fun send-off, and the anal collectors like me refuse to leave our collections incomplete, so there'll probably be someone like me buying the new packs in your local group to share them as needed.

Edited by -Istaril

I think a lot of people are getting their undies in a bunch about the new addition but not about rotation.

It makes no sense. If you are OK with rotation you should also be OK with a 2nd edition. Rotation will make many of your current cards useless anyway, so really going to a new edition isn't much of a difference.

If they had just gone with rotation and left everything else alone a huge part of the cardpool would rotate out immediately anyway. Sure, with the new edition even more cards will be useless but for a game that went from smooth and elegant when I picked up the first release of the CCG to now being this clunky thing being crushed under it's own weight, it was well over do.