The end is nigh...

By Robin Graves, in Zombie Apocalypse

Two articles! twice the coverage! :D

Something i'd like to know... what happens if you die? It made it sound like not everyone will make it to the end and I'd really like everyone to play the whole game in some way.

Good question.

I have a feeling none of us are gonna make it out alive with our GM. But then again, we're used to it, playing paranoia and Call of cthulhu.

My bet would be you roll up a new character, this time just some random stranger.

Also we're thinking about starting the adventure with our group at some game convention or somewhere, because our GM (perhaps wisely) isn't gonna run npc versions of everyone's familiy members. (That can get kinda sensitive) Because that's what you would try to do in a zombie apocalypse right? try to get to your loved ones/next of kin, making sure they are allright? In our group that would cause an almost immediate party split since some of us live in diffrent cities. So we probably gonna start off in some place far from home and have to stay alive aslong as possible. (This also solves the problem of our Gm being present as a character.)

I'm considering that if you die and it's in a feasible way for you to make it out then I'd give the character a negative modifier. Like if they would be dead from a zombie attack then they got bitten on the hand, and someone cut it off in time. You're alive, but now you have one less hand.

Barring that, make a new character, either from someone the group knows mutually or a stranger.

It would be particularly...amusing for those PCs who actually have identical twins.

I think I'll let the players decide collectively whether or not they wish to play as themselves. Many years ago I had a concept similar to this; the players would write up characters as close to themselves as they could get, and then I would start the apocalypse during one of their (characters') gaming sessions. Not everyone was keen on that idea though, so I'll let them choose whether to be themselves or total strangers.

Something i'd like to know... what happens if you die? It made it sound like not everyone will make it to the end and I'd really like everyone to play the whole game in some way.

In a proper post-apocalyptic scenario, everyone should not make it to the end. Ideally, only a small group should get out alive, if anyone.

I think it would be a neat twist if, once your character dies, you're out. Watch quietly for the remainder of that session, don't come back next week. A lot of RPGs suffer from death not being a serious penalty because the player will just re-roll. This is a pie-in-the-sky idea, of course. I'm not sure I could ever pull it off for real.

Of course, if I were to actually run a game like this, there would be a few things I'd want in place first:

1) all players understand beforehand that death is permanent and are willing to play by this rule. (Obviously, everyone needs to consent or it won't be fun.)

2) we'd need a big pool of "stand-by" players to rotate in new people as early players die off.

3) The initial batch would probably be chosen by drawing lots so as not to play favourites. Later replacements would be rewarded for their patience by letting their characters start with a little extra preparation - after all, their characters have been surviving "off screen" for a while now.

4) I'd want to record sessions, either by video or audio, and maybe write up flavourful session reports to present to everyone who isn't currently playing, so that everyone can enjoy the adventure even if they aren't there yet/anymore.

The game would probably end up running more like one of those murder mystery evening events, rather than a typical RPG.