Question not covered in BL manual

By chesterfield2, in Battlelore

Hello,

I bought BL as a present some time ago, and was pleasantly surprised. It has proved to be very addictive and enjoyable, so I am playing it now together with the friend I bought it for. :)

There were a few questions that came up over games, but with deeper digging in the manual we seemed to solve them.

However, it seems the manual doesn't say a clear yes/no on what happens to a fleeing unit, if it becomes bold in the process.

Ie. battle goes like this:

1) I attack unit A, which is only supported from 1 side, is not bold and roll 2 flags, A must retreat 2 hexes, which it can do.

2) However, after A retreats first hex, it is now among 2 units and supposedly becomes bold. Must it still retreat 1 more hex?

From the wording in the rulebook I would say "most probably yes", but it does seem to be a bit arbitrary, so I'd like your opinion.

Thanks in advance.

I've wonrerd the same myself.

Yes, the figure must retreat 2 hexes (if it is not paniced). Support/Bold is only determined at the start of the battle. Once it is lost (due to a retreat in this case) it remains lost until the next battle.

And since the path is blocked for this retreating unit, it will lose 1 figure.

ColtsFan76 said:

Trying to help clear things up here, hope I don't muddy them further: In the example given, the unit can retreat the full two hexes, so wouldn't suffer any losses, but more to the point, as Coltsfan said, it would not be able to ignore the second flag rolled.

toddrew said:

ColtsFan76 said:

Trying to help clear things up here, hope I don't muddy them further: In the example given, the unit can retreat the full two hexes, so wouldn't suffer any losses, but more to the point, as Coltsfan said, it would not be able to ignore the second flag rolled.

Todd,

Correct me if I am wrong but the example was the Unit must retreat TWO hexes. After the FIRST hex, it found itself "supported" i.e 2 units blocking the path. It still had 1 flag to resolve but no where to go. Therefore it should lose 1 figure.

So of the 2 flags, it retreated 1 space and then lost 1 figure. This should be correct. Am I missing something?

Nevermind. I now fully understand the situation. I thought the 2 supporting units were directly behind Unit A. But they are on the "side" so to speak so there is a retreat path that is clear. regardless, they do not support him for the purposes of this battle since it was not that wat when teh dice were rolled.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for catching that one Todd.

Yeah, this example would've benefited from a picture or two :)

In the rule book it depicts someone retreating two spaces the second being on where he would be bold. I'll look up the page number.

Thanks for the replies :)