How will this look like?

By faith_star83, in General Discussion

I am quite excited by this news, because I was looking to start playing AGOT for a really long time, but felt imtimidated by the large card pool. Now I am happy I waited...

But what I do not undertand: Will they release the Warrens cycle for both, 1E and 2E? It almost sounded like it in the anouncement. If so, will there be different cards in each of them?

And will we get a completely new Core Set or simply an overhaul from the 1E one?

As I understood it, the Warrens is the last 1st-ed cycle. After that, it's 2nd-ed only - with rotation.

It will be a new game built on similar fundamentals. All the previous cards though will be invalid in the second edition. Although some might return like street of steel 99% will not.

It might be like the Call of Arms cycle, which was simultaneously the last cycle of CCG cards and the first cycle of LCG cards. They were presumably designing those cards alongside designing the 2E ruleset, so they could presumably make them compatible. Don't release any plots in the cycle, and don't include any influence or crests. You could maybe make it work.

hm, I see, I think I got confused and somehow thought the new cycle would appear for both, first and second edition...

It might be like the Call of Arms cycle, which was simultaneously the last cycle of CCG cards and the first cycle of LCG cards. They were presumably designing those cards alongside designing the 2E ruleset, so they could presumably make them compatible. Don't release any plots in the cycle, and don't include any influence or crests. You could maybe make it work.

Probably they could pull it off...and it might even be a sensible choice, because I am wondering if many people will still be buying the packs from the last cycle..

Is there any word from ffg on how the rotation will affect core sets? I mean, basically they would have to release updated core sets with every rotation, no?

Core and deluxe's will form the base set. The chapter packs will be the rotating part.

So basicly one half of the card pool is fixed. The other part will be divided in 4 blocks. About every year one the oldest sections becomes invalid for 'Standard' when the second half of the 4th block becomes available.

The Wardens cycle will be 1st edition only.

I'm mostly speculating, but the change in the logo seems to indicate we'll see entirely new card backs, rendering any and all 1E/CCG cards obsolete.