2nd edition! I will get back in the game!

By Hidatom, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

the daunting card pool has left me cold to getting into AGoT right now...too many cards to dig through, not buy.

but the second edition will be great, smaller card pool, great entry for new players.

hopefully it can be better promoted...tying into the HBO series better.

very happy with this choice.

Edited by Hidatom

Very dissapointed with this decision.

Hate the idea of it being over simplified. It will be a fond farewell

over simplified? where did you see that?

quitting when the game has a chance to get new blood...that's too bad.

Well, as a new player that spent a couple hundred over the last few months, this will end my interest in the game.

Just pisses me off. Anyone going to start a petition against it?

I quitted the game at its transitino to LCG, because Martell was not in the core set. Now I have a chance to rejoin, but it does not look lie the game I used to play.

@Daenerys - The changes to the game talked about in Nate's letter don't lead me to believe the game has been simplified to the caveman level of strategy MtG is known for. The new version just cleans up a few things and streamlines the rules, and who can't say that wasn't needed? Other than that, it's the same game. Same characters, same icons, same challenges, same way to determine challenge winners, same win condition... I think you are over reacting.

@Minusthematt - boohoo, you spent money on a game and enjoyed yourself for a time. Spend some more money (which you were going to do anyway) and get the new stuff -- and once a week/month/year organizer a First Edition tournament if you miss your cardboard that much. It's paper people, let's not plunge the knife into our hearts over the loss of the ability to play with it competitively a YEAR from now. By the way, I just busted out the thousands of Decipher SWCCG cards I had boxed up in my closet this weekend, put together a few decks and had a blast -- and guess what! They were still in the same shape I left them in when that game stopped being printed. Amazing, huh.

@Tobogan - Not sure what game you used to play, because what was described as 2nd Edition is **** close to what the game looks like now.

I for one am excited about this. Sure, I dropped hundreds of dollars buying up chapter packs to play competitively when I came back to the game in 2012. But I am not losing any sleep over the decision to go to a 2nd Edition. The opportunity for them to make a better game, give us things they could never give us because of the state of 1st Edition is in, is worth the reboot.

If you are thinking about getting back into the game, know someone who left at some point and laments the decision but was unwilling to buy in late in the 1st edition life of the LCG, reach out to them. Get them to commit to the 2nd edition and the player base will grow, and it will grow in your backyards. That will mean a more vibrant competitive scene for you and everyone else nationwide.

2nd Edition is an opportunity to make a big impact in the card gaming world that hasn't always taken AGoT seriously. Always a good game, but other long-time games (MtG, L5R) continue to draw larger player bases.

Having played/known Nate from the beginning; I support this decision. He's one of the smartest guys I now, and he wouldn't steer this game wrong. I look forward to what they have in store for us next (it better be better prize support ;p).

Well, I'm out. I'm only a recent player, and having spent over $500 on cards in the last 12 months, this comes as a great big "Screw You!" from Fantasy Flight.

I hope second edition crashes and burns, as an object lesson as to what happens when you screw over your customers.

so...you spend $500 on a game but won't spend $50 on the new edition of the game you loved enough to spend $500 on.

I don't get it.

This is going to be great especially if they sprinkle in NEW cards with the old. I cannot wait to experience AGoT all over again.

If I knew that the game I loved was going to be cancelled, I probably wouldn't have spent $500 on it. I'm not spending $50 on the new edition of that game, because there's no guarantee it will be any more well-spent than the $500 I just blew on the now-defunct first edition. Also, I doubt $50 will be enough to field a decent deck in the new edition any more than it was in the first.

They're not sprinkling in new cards with the old at all; from what is said in the release, the old cards will not be valid at all. If the new edition was backwards compatible with the existing cardpool, I would probably be happy about the announcement, rather than furious.

@Minusthematt - boohoo, you spent money on a game and enjoyed yourself for a time. Spend some more money (which you were going to do anyway) and get the new stuff -- and once a week/month/year organizer a First Edition tournament if you miss your cardboard that much. It's paper people, let's not plunge the knife into our hearts over the loss of the ability to play with it competitively a YEAR from now. By the way, I just busted out the thousands of Decipher SWCCG cards I had boxed up in my closet this weekend, put together a few decks and had a blast -- and guess what! They were still in the same shape I left them in when that game stopped being printed. Amazing, huh.

I'm not that type of person that is going to buy every single chapter pack/expansion as it comes out. I liked picking specific packs so I could build good decks out of them without spending a ton of money. I won't be able to use those cards any more, so when the reboot arrives I will absolutely need to buy pretty much everything released to keep up. So my plan of spending 15$ on a chapter pack every few months will soon turn into buying a new core set (25-40$?) and then probably monthly additions (10-20$?). I can't really afford that, so I'll most likely settle on not buying any and just playing with a few friends with the old cards.

I'm not upset I spent money on the cards I have, I'm upset that I'm pretty much done with continuing to support the game and receive new material, because I just don't feel like building up a collection again. For the record, I haven't played any tournament play yet, though I have desired to. So yeah, I can keep using my cards...but what this news means to me is that there won't be any more cards for me to buy after this new cycle. It's as if the game as done being printed in my eyes, and a new one is being started that I both can't and won't commit to. Things can change, but that's how I feel at the moment.

This has come off better than when the LCG switch happened:

1. FFG is going to support at least another tourney season for 1st Edition LCG.

2. I feel a rules cleanup; and better structure to make card interaction easier to understand is worth a new edition. (I just hope Taste For Blood comes over).

@minusthematt - so you are willing to spend money to get chapter packs you need to build the decks you want, but are not willing to do the same for the new edition? Do you see why that argument is flawed? Nothing changes in your buying habits, you can still chose not to buy a chapter pack if it doesn't have what you're looking for, and a 1 time purchase of a core shouldn't break the bank, and if it does then maybe it's time to re-evaluate playing games at all... just sayin'. $15 a month for a chapter pack isn't too much to ask for most people. That's 50 cents per day... start saving your quarters.

If the case really is you don't feel like building up a new collection, then I'm sorry to say that sounds incredibly lazy, and a pretty lame excuse. But if that's how you feel...

As for you being upset, by your response, it sounds like you are upset with yourself. You're the one making the decision to stop buying the game, no one is forcing you to do that.

I think you're going to regret your knee-jerk reaction. You have 9 months to save up a pool of cash to buy core and beyond. Bank accounts are wonderful things. Learn to manage your budget and you'll be a happier person who can do more things because you've planned ahead.

I really do hope you change your mind, and I hope you get to experience tournament play either in 1st Edition or 2nd.

Sadly I won't get into this new game - only because I don't have the money, and even more so - the TIME, to spend on more than one LCG. I have dove head first into 40K conquest and that's where I'll be spending my efforts. I never did play 1st edition AGOT but not because I have anything against the game. Again, just a time and money factor.

And to all you who feel betrayed or screwed over: at least you weren't a warhammer Invasion player like I was. At least you're getting a year's heads up on when official organized play support will be ending. Us Invasion players received no advance warning at all - dropped like a bad habit!

But I'm not mad at FFG for this nor should you be. First and foremost they are a business and have to do what makes sense for business. I looked at Conquest as the closest thing I was going to get to a Warhammer 2nd edition and I really enjoy it.

If I had the time and money I think this whole revamping would get me into the game. I think this was the best possible solution for all involved: don't alienate (too many) of your existing customers, attract new blood, keep your retailers happy because they don't have to carry as much stock, and do what's best for the business' bottom line.

@AndrewH - not exactly sure why you're upset. Your $500 investment in a card game that will exist for years to come if you take care of the cards is a far cheaper investment than you would have made in any other card game, let alone a CCG where you can easily spend that much in a single year.

Your unwillingness to invest 1/10 of what you already have in what will be a superior product (eventually) is shortsighted in my opinion. You are making assumptions that they will make the same mistakes the made when transitioning from CCG to LCG and they can't possibly do that (see Nate's Letter to the Community).

As with minusthematt, I think you are being hasty and reacting emotionally as opposed to rationally. But that is just my opinion. I hope you change your mind.

@AndrewH - not exactly sure why you're upset. Your $500 investment in a card game that will exist for years to come if you take care of the cards

Except that it requires other players with cards to play, too. How many people have you seen playing Spellfire, or V:TES lately? (I still have cards from both those games, incidentally, and I haven't had a game of either for years.)

let alone a CCG where you can easily spend that much in a single year.

Which is why I don't play CCGs any more.

Your unwillingness to invest 1/10 of what you already have in what will be a superior product (eventually) is shortsighted in my opinion. You are making assumptions that they will make the same mistakes the made when transitioning from CCG to LCG and they can't possibly do that (see Nate's Letter to the Community).

Really? They're already made the first one - making the old cards incompatible with the new version. I'll take that $50 and invest it in a traditional board game that actually *will* be playable for as long as the components physically survive.

I love playing CCGs and LCGs, but just as CCGs lost me with ongoing requirement for pouring endless amounts of cash into them, it looks like LCGs are losing me because their parent company can't be trusted.

Really? They're already made the first one - making the old cards incompatible with the new version. I'll take that $50 and invest it in a traditional board game that actually *will* be playable for as long as the components physically survive.

I love playing CCGs and LCGs, but just as CCGs lost me with ongoing requirement for pouring endless amounts of cash into them, it looks like LCGs are losing me because their parent company can't be trusted.

Are your cards going to magically dissapear after FFG publishes 2nd ed? They will be still there, i assure you, and you can play 1ed with your group till the end of time :)

I applaud the move to 2nd edition and am super hyped by the prospect of all the changes. I have everything that has been published for AgoT LCG, and to be honest, couldn't be happier about the roration and 2nd ed. I still can play my 1ed with friends, but will also have a new game with new cards, that's gonna be free of some of the current ballast and limitation.

Great move FFG. Kudos!

Edited by LeWho

Are your cards going to magically dissapear after FFG publishes 2nd ed? They will be still there, i assure you, and you can play 1ed with your group till the end of time :)

My cards won't, but my group might. An LCG isn't like a boardgame; you can't just own one copy and break it out whenever. To get the most out of a game like Thrones, you need multiple people all owning their own copies, and building their own decks.

My cards won't, but my group might. An LCG isn't like a boardgame; you can't just own one copy and break it out whenever. To get the most out of a game like Thrones, you need multiple people all owning their own copies, and building their own decks.

Hmmm. I have around 8 decks that i built. With minimum of proxies. My AGOT works exactly like a board game. If someone of my friends who don't have their own cards wants to buiold a deck i just give him/her my binders and off they go. Easy peasy :)

Would like to invite any disgruntled players over to LOTR LCG!

A lot of these problems are fixed when you have a cooperative game!

And you get a lot more out of your money because you don't have to wait to find someone else to play!

Just sayin'... :)

Would like to invite any disgruntled players over to LOTR LCG!

A lot of these problems are fixed when you have a cooperative game!

And you get a lot more out of your money because you don't have to wait to find someone else to play!

Just sayin'... :)

Eeeeey, not cool... <_<

No, but seriously - guys, play LOTR too - it'a s great game.

But stick woth AGOT. I feel like we have great times ahead!

Hmmm. I have around 8 decks that i built. With minimum of proxies. My AGOT works exactly like a board game. If someone of my friends who don't have their own cards wants to buiold a deck i just give him/her my binders and off they go. Easy peasy :)

@AndrewH - This is how my group operates currently because the buy-in is so steep. If you really do love the game, convincing/teaching people to play it shouldn't be difficult. What you will find though is because it is so similar to the new edition, with flaws that make it inferior, players you bring in will be more apt to buy in "at the ground level". Your 1st Ed. Cards can then be used for casual games/formats to spice up organized play.

The idea that every player needs their own set of cards is ridiculous, even in competitive play where multiple decks can be built without relying on more than a few staple cards which I am sure you could get for a really good price from some who thinks the sky is falling like yourself.

I've bought every card back in the first edition and had a lot of fun with it, and I'll continue to play it for the next 18 months or so until the 2e core set and a few 2e chapter packs are released.

Everything Nate said in his open letter about what was right with the game and what was wrong with it was spot on, and I think the second edition will be a much better game (the first edition is already an amazing game). Although I'm sad to see my 1e collection (probably 2000 cards) expire, I'm actually looking forward to the second edition!

the daunting card pool has left me cold to getting into AGoT right now...too many cards to dig through, not buy.

but the second edition will be great, smaller card pool, great entry for new players.

hopefully it can be better promoted...tying into the HBO series better.

very happy with this choice.

FFG just pulled in a new player here. I know of a few players in my area that play AGOT, but I also know a lot more that would like to but see the buy-in as exhorbitant. Let's face it, gamers in general are completionists. It's tough to convince someone to join in a game that has thousands of cards and thousands of dollars invested in it, because most gamers want to have everything for their games.

I see this as a perfect opportunity to pull in more fans (bandwagon HBO fans or book fans, doesn't really matter). I can't wait to get my hands on this, I hope Greyjoy and Martell are represented in the core this time.

I had purchased a core and some deluxes, then discovered i had only just dipped my toe in, was enough to stop me from buying more. I dove head first into star wars, love it, and now conquest my new number 2 game. When this deluxe comes out i'll buy it, try it. It's a year away yet anyway. But i never would be abel to get into version one as the number of cards to buy just seems overwhelming.

The original game will continue to be supported for more than another year yet, I think by the time the 2nd edition comes in, cleaner version it'll be a good thing. (plus no one is taking your existing cards away from you, people will play the original for a long long time to come yet, my group still plays decipher star wars and middle earth card game from the 90's haha)