Signature Squad as only "on-faction" cards?

By alphasquid, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest - Strategy

Has anyone tried building a deck with your Warlord's signature squad as the only "On-Faction" cards, and having the other 42 cards be a different faction and/or neutral cards?

Clearly this would require 2-3 core sets to accomplish. Can you come up with any decks that would actually be decent using this method?

For those who need an example of what I'm suggesting:

Example deck

1x Orc Warlord

His 8 signature cards.

42 non-loyal, non-signature Chaos cards.

Are there even enough cards to do this?

Are there even enough cards to do this?

Sure. Not from a single core set, of course, but you only need a total of 14 non-loyal and neutral cards (14x3=42) to do this.

This is an interesting experiment, and it also highlights a few important points about the impact of having a lot of out-of-faction splash in your deck. I threw together a quick Zarathur (Ork) deck as an example of something that might fit the "decent" bill, though it is clearly not competitive (for reasons we'll see below).

Tzeentch's Off-Day

Zarathur, High Sorcerer

Units (31)

Bad Dok x 3

Burna Boyz x 3

Goff Boyz x 3

Rogue Trader x 3

Rokkitboy x 3

Shoota Mob x 3

Sniveling Grot x 3

Tankbusta Bommaz x 3

Void Pirate x 3

Zarathur's Flamers x 4

Attachments (7)

Mark of Chaos x 1

Promotion x 3

Rokkit Launcha x 3

Events (5)

Infernal Gateway x 2

Snotling Attack x 3

Support (7)

Shrine of Warpflame x 1

Ork Kannon x 3

Tellyporta Pad x 3

While there are some interesting synergies here, the deck suffers a terribly low shield count (owing to all of Conquest's 2-shield cards bearing the "loyal" trait), and fails to field elites and many of the allied army's game-changing cards (also loyal). You can certainly get a lot of fun out of the deck, but it will consistently lose to decks with more command, higher shield counts, and better synergies derived from a more balanced approach to splash. The same can be said, I believe, for every such combo of Warlord plus 100% out-of-faction army, though two such decks might be interesting to play against one another.

This speaks to the high degree of balance achieved thus far by Conquest. Determining your level of splash is critical in the success of your deck; more splash gives you more options (increasingly as the card pool expands), but chips away at shield efficiency and inclusion of loyal cards.

I'm going to respectfully voice a contrary opinion. Many of the best cards are loyal (though Ork does seem to have the best non-loyal cards). As we get more cards, as well as more loyal cards, we might see a lot of decks with very little splash at all. I'm struggling to see a reason for heavy splash, other than there just aren't that many cards out right now.

Think of it this way -- your choice of warlord and allied faction (clockwise or counterclockwise) determines the card pool you are choosing from. After that, there is no reason to care whether or not a card is loyal. The only reason to care about the faction of a card is because some cards only interact with cards of a specific faction. Other than that, the card pool is the card pool, and it doesn't matter how cards got into the card pool.

You're right Karat. Loyal cards tend to be better cards, generally speaking. I certainly wasn't trying to suggest that this method should be used to build optimal decks, but I was curious to see if any competitive or semi-competitive decks could be built under these guidelines, mostly as a thought experiment and a way to look at cards in a different way than we normally would. I thought maybe we could learn some things using this method.

One of my philosophies when building decks, is to always start somewhere new. Give myself some restrictions and build from there, see what comes of it. Restrictions breed creativity, as they say.

Same problem with AM/Orcs as above those two shield cards being missing are a big deal. It also removes some of the best cards from this combo (Prempetive Barrage and Cata Outpost). It's possible and you end up with a lot of warrior units but I don't think it's as good as the other way around.

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Warhammer 40,000: Conquest Deckbuilder

Total Cards: (50)

Warlord:
1x Colonel Straken (Core Set)

Army Unit: (28)
4x Straken’s Command Squad (Core Set)
3x Burna Boyz (Core Set)
3x Goff Boyz (Core Set)
3x Rokkitboy (Core Set)
3x Shoota Mob (Core Set)
3x Tankbusta Bommaz (Core Set)
3x Void Pirate (Core Set)
3x Rogue Trader (Core Set)
3x Bad Dok (Core Set)

Attachment: (7)
1x Straken’s Cunning (Core Set)
3x Rokkit Launcha (Core Set)
3x Promotion (Core Set)

Event: (11)
2x Glorious Intervention (Core Set)
3x Squig Bombin (Core Set)
3x No Mercy (Core Set)
3x Snotling Attack (Core Set)

Support: (4)
1x Omega Zero Command (Core Set)
3x Ork Kannon (Core Set)

KH,

That looks like a fun deck to game with...... Might try it sometime. :)