Help me find the droids I'm looking for...

By maxam, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

To quote the preview of IG-88:

"If you muster an army of Droids in a skirmish, cards like Overdrive grant them more actions than ever before."

What droids could these be? Probe Droids are Imperial so you couldn't legally field them with IG-88 in a skirmish match, so...

What non-Rebel, non-Imperial droids could we see in future expansions? Baring the appearance of prequel droids, I'm stumped ... but I'm not overly familiar with the EU - can anyone who is help me out here?

First of all, there is 4-LOM, Zuckuss' partner from The Empire Strikes Back (well, I suppose in ESB they're just standing next to each other and it wasn't until the EU that they became partners). Additionally, there were 4 copies of IG-88 to begin with. They were designated IG-88A, IG-88B, IG-88C, and IG-88D. So technically, even though he is unique in this game, you should have been able to field 4 of them. Also, there was an IG-72, but I don't know that anything every happens with him in the EU after IG-88A activates him. He kind of just goes his separate way.

I'm sure there are other droids as well that could be Mercenary for this game, but I can't think of any at the moment.

But I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the skirmish mission that comes with IG-88 allows you to recruit droids by completing some action and you would use tokens to indicate your droids.

Edited by Budgernaut

In Skirmish, there are cards that allow you to combine Mercenaries with either Rebel or Imperial.

In the star wars RPG by FFG that is set in the same time period, there are tons of droids including battle droids. They old ones from the new trilogy are still around, but they introduce many more.

I have the edge of the empire sourcebook at home, so I could list a few examples later.

Also, they could introduce the dark troopers which were droids.

Basically, the EU had tons of droids, but the movies had basically none. FFG is allowed to tap into the EU, so I'm sure we'll see more droids.

Technically, they could use the NT battledroids without ever venturing into the NT, but I hope they don't.

I just looked back at the Overdrive card and realized that it's just a command card and it's not faction specific. That means it doesn't matter if there are a lot of Mercenary droids or not. You could include Overdrive in your Imperial Command deck. Then you could use the Temporary Alliance card to include IG-88 in your squad along with the probe droids. In the future, you could add Dark Troopers to round out your Imperial droid army. And since Temporary Alliance allows you to include 2 extra Mercenary cards, you can add both IG-88 and 4-LOM to your Imperial droid squad.

Don't forget, we know there are probe droids in the game already. So IG-88 can add to those figures during a skirmish game.

nevermind

Edited by Jonnyb815