Necrons? Plz?

By WhereAreTheNecrons, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest

For sure this could be great!

I also feel it's quite hard to pinpoint the Necrons now however in terms of card design. With only a bunch of White Dwarfs and two codex to work with FFG should be able to make a start however the most recent Necron codex is such a step away from the original fluff I personally have no idea how to handle this subject currently. Not to say I have anything to do with design but I do feel it's sort of important to know the background in order to handle this.

I do think that the 5th edition codex would be more used for Conquest LCG so I fear we'll not see much of the great C'tan but much more have a pharao like feel to them. Tomb Kings , if you will.

Cards that have been popular in other CCG that have a good recursion tech could however be used for this faction. I also feel that we can freely say that the avarage Necron and Tyranid card will be more powerfull as the average normal card. This is because of the limited pool and no options to other factions.

So a 1 drop that is 2/2 with 1 command and 1 shield for Necrons should not be out of the question and at the same time I expect a 2/1 1 drop with a single command and a 2/1 token for the Tyranids (both can't have wargear).

I think that fluffy and balanced necrons should have ultra expensive units that may be recycled for free after theyre dead and shouldnt go to discard after death, they should stay at the planet or HQ being pseudo-dead.

I can also picture a unit that you can deploy "dead" at planets and activate by event card or warlord ability.

As to tyranids tokens are obvious. And maybe sth with devouring planets? Aditional bonuses for winning at planets or sth.

Necrons should really have an "Orb of Resurrection" Attachment that allows to retrieve dead troops from the discard pile. Maybe all necrons (or most necrons) having a "Callback" ability would be too much, but who knows...

New Necron codex rumoured for the end of January, could blow everything we know out of the water, but the recent Shield of Baal stuff seems to be sticking with established fluff, and I seem to remember hearing the codex isn't going to be all that new, so who knows.

But I imagine Imotekh will show up as Phaeron, and more than likely he'll be in the deluxe that introduces the faction, as GW seem to have been pushing him as the main player for a while now. I'm guessing Anrakyr for the second commander simply because he's featured heavily in Shield of Baal. But who knows.

If they stick to the pattern previous LCGs have used for bringing new factions to the game post-core set, the deluxe will address the card imbalance issues, so by the time it arrives all nine factions will have a cardpool of similar numbers.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

(For what it's worth, Edge of Darkness was announced two months after the release of the Star Wars LCG core set, so maybe we'll have news in January about the deluxe for Conquest?)

The chances are quite big they'll get some good inspiration from it and I wouldn't be suprised to see the Deluxe duel Warpack of Nids and Crons being around somewhere in October 2015 because of that.

The chances are quite big they'll get some good inspiration from it and I wouldn't be suprised to see the Deluxe duel Warpack of Nids and Crons being around somewhere in October 2015 because of that.

Unfortunately, I think you're right! :unsure:

Unfortunately, I think you're right! :unsure:

Hopefully they'll speed up the process but I just hope the community is willing to keep themselves entertained with the game for the time being. Offcourse being entertained also means no insane delays in Warpacks and such.

However I feel FFG has some good ideas for 2015 and I fully believe The Scourge War is around the corner. I just wish they'd excite us a bit more by spoiling some more cards.

Scourge Warpack is now expected on January 5 according to the Upcoming page.

Now, I would be surprised to see the deluxe expansion be as late as October. In my prior experiences, the first deluxe seems to come out pretty much after the first cycle. I don't think they can delay it too much because all the other factions will continue to forge ahead of the necrons and nids. The longer they delay it, the more that it will have to catch up on. By this point, they should have a very firm idea of what the new factions will offer, I don't see them making changes on the fly because of the new codex. There may even be some cross cooperation and FFG designers may know what is in the new codex, so they could plan accordingly.

Now, I would be surprised to see the deluxe expansion be as late as October. In my prior experiences, the first deluxe seems to come out pretty much after the first cycle. I don't think they can delay it too much because all the other factions will continue to forge ahead of the necrons and nids. The longer they delay it, the more that it will have to catch up on. By this point, they should have a very firm idea of what the new factions will offer, I don't see them making changes on the fly because of the new codex. There may even be some cross cooperation and FFG designers may know what is in the new codex, so they could plan accordingly.

I hope you are right.

Altough even if there will not come up any other further delays, we are still looking at June as the potential all went according plan set up. But I like to be happy with that idea. I just put October in my mind because anything earlier will only be good news to me.

For what it's worth:

Assault on Ulthuan was released in May 2010, and brought High Elves and Dark Elves into the game. It was released between packs five and six of the first cycle for Warhammer: Invasion.

Edge of Darkness was released in July 2013, and brought Smugglers and Scum into the game. It was released between packs four and five of the first cycle for Star Wars LCG.

This possibly has no bearing on Conquest, but I thought I'd share it all the same. Keep us all going while we wait, y'know?

:)

Would be happily suprised if they announced it will be comming out in April or June!

Can't wait though :D

the necrons won't ally w/ other teams, they will be possessing them.

the necrons won't ally w/ other teams, they will be possessing them.

But even that doesn't make much sence fluffwise.

However, Im am at all not that botherd by the fact that they can 'ally' with everyone.

I feel most players and factions still prefer to play more heavily within their own faction and I feel the Warpack cycle will only allow for it since the Core set doesn't really.

I also hope that FFG has made the ally rule more there for newer players to be able to combine decks (this way you can play a constructed deck with a single Core set) but allowing for more synergy within the faction which is often more welcomed by a tournament or competative setting.

As for the LCG, I do think that the allience wheel is a bit off, but currently I don't think it will change.

If I was head of the design however I'd probably line the wheel up as following:

AM: SM or Chaos (AM or Imperial Guard are known allies of the Space Marines, however in the fluff it's also often mentioned that they have Heretic or Traitor worlds, making Chaos/Chaos Space Marines their allies aswell)

SM: AM or Tau (seem like the most likely altough Tau still feels a bit weird)

Tau: SM or AM (also here SM feel a bit weird)

Eldar: Dark Eldar or Tau (nothing to strange here, altough Eldar don't really like the younger races at all, including Tau)

Dark Eldar: Eldar or Orks (Dark Eldar are aware of what Slaanesh has done to their race and are highly sceptical about Psykers because it could invite Slaanesh within their own borders, Orks are dumb and more likely to ally imho as they allready are somewhat slave-ish towards their War Bosses)

Chaos: AM or Orks (doesn't feel wrong at all honestly)

Orks: Dark Eldar or Chaos (doesn't feel wrong imho)

Necrons: Chaos or Orks (feels a bit akward but Necrons are fore and foremost not a force that holds value to the humanoid creatures that make up the mayority of AM, SM and Eldar forces)

Tyranids: Nobody (doesn't feel wrong at all)

- Now the downside of this is that you can't put it into a fancy wheel.

+ The upside of this is that it would fit the fluff somewhat more as it does now.

For the AM I feel they'd never ally with Orks (altough I am aware there are Ork pirates for hire)

For the SM I feel they'd be highly skeptical to ally with Xenos Tau (some chapters will never do this) but I do feel an allience with Chaos would be even more wrongly represented (altough some Chapters have Warlords who are lured in by Chaos)

For Tau I know there have been alliences with the AM, I feel a Tau Warlord however could not persuade Eldar so much with working with them.

For Eldar I feel that the Tau are open for cooperation if their Warlord is, the allience with Dark Eldar is uncommon but has happend.

For Dark Eldar the allience with Eldar has happend, the Orks and/or Chaos not so much but because of the mentioned history between Slaanesh and the Eldar (and Dark Eldar) Id highly doubt they'd work together for the same cause.

For Chaos the AM and Orks allience makes sence. Orks only need a cause to fight and not be hated on.

For Orks the Chaos and Dark Eldar allience could happen (the Dark Eldar also have pirates for hire etc.)

... [snipped for brevity] ...

If I was head of the design however I'd probably line the wheel up as following:

AM: SM or Chaos (AM or Imperial Guard are known allies of the Space Marines, however in the fluff it's also often mentioned that they have Heretic or Traitor worlds, making Chaos/Chaos Space Marines their allies aswell)

SM: AM or Tau (seem like the most likely altough Tau still feels a bit weird)

Tau: SM or AM (also here SM feel a bit weird)

Eldar: Dark Eldar or Tau (nothing to strange here, altough Eldar don't really like the younger races at all, including Tau)

Dark Eldar: Eldar or Orks (Dark Eldar are aware of what Slaanesh has done to their race and are highly sceptical about Psykers because it could invite Slaanesh within their own borders, Orks are dumb and more likely to ally imho as they allready are somewhat slave-ish towards their War Bosses)

Chaos: AM or Orks (doesn't feel wrong at all honestly)

Orks: Dark Eldar or Chaos (doesn't feel wrong imho)

Necrons: Chaos or Orks (feels a bit akward but Necrons are fore and foremost not a force that holds value to the humanoid creatures that make up the mayority of AM, SM and Eldar forces)

Tyranids: Nobody (doesn't feel wrong at all)

... [snipped for brevity] ...

If you have not seen it already, the following thread (see hyperlink & subsequent quote) was posted on BoardGameGeek that also addresses the Faction Wheel.

Alignment Wheel vs Allies Matrix

There has been a lot of concerns about how thematic the allies are in FFG's alignment wheel. So I thought I would look up the warhammer 40k 6th edition allies matrix to compare. The allies matrix has 4 levels for each alliance. They are Battle Brothers, Allies of Convenience, Desperate Allies, and Come the Apocalypse. Basically it means the two races are potential allies for each level except "Come the Apocalypse". Here are the results for each possible combination on FFG's alignment wheel.

Battle Brothers
Imperial Guard and Space Marines
Space Marines and Tau
Tau and Eldar
Eldar and Dark Eldar
Allies of Convenience
Orks and Imperial Guard
Chaos and Orks
Desperate Allies
Dark Eldar and Chaos
Come the Apocalypse
None
Therefore, I would have to say that FFG did a pretty good job arranging the alignment wheel thematically.
Edited by Ladislaus

Oh I know they are not extremely far off, there even have been mixtures of human and genestealer armies. As far as new Necron fluff goes anything can be done.