The chaos gods as the seasons

By Chrysalis2, in Black Crusade

Recently I came across this thought of the four Chaos gods as season:

Tzeentch - Spring - Birth and rebirth and renewal. Planting, flowering.
Slaneesh -Summer - Flowering and fruiting, nurturing
Nurgle - Autumn - Harvest. and preserving, drying, decay
Khorne - Winter - subsiding, dying, hibernating, darkness

I can then plug the chaos gods into Gaelic and other pagan mythology for inspiration and ideas. For example the events: Samhain, Imbolc, Beltane and Lughnasadh.

I'd say

Papa - spring

Tzeetch - fall

Slaneesh - winter

Khorne - summer

but that's me.

@ ThenDoctor: Khorne summer based on the fact that most military campaigns used to be started during the summer?

Springtime: Nurgle (life from death)

Summer Tzeentch (fire)

Autumn: Khorne (harvest, slaughter month)

Winter Slaanesh (presitine white snow like a daemonette's skin)

Is it just me, or is winter the least chaotic of the seasons?

Also just my interpretation.

First, and yes I have to:

@Chrysalis

Absolutely smashing pic! Now I can't be a hipster anymore though XD

Next, I think that Fall is definitely Nurgle. Summer....eh, toss-up between Khorne and Slaanesh, let them fight for it. Spring is Tzeentch, since everything is coming back in a way only Tzeentch could grasp out of Nurgle' fat hands.

@ ThenDoctor: Khorne summer based on the fact that most military campaigns used to be started during the summer?

Partially, also for the fact that everything is generally fighting for survival at that point under the heat.

I mean in the end it's opinion, we can interpret it in a number of ways all validated in some manner or another.

True!

Say, does anybody mind if I hijack the thread to ask wich chaos god would overlap with wich mythos entity?

Tzeentch: Yog-sothoth

Slaanesh: Shub-Niggurath

Nurgle: Quachill Uttaus

Khorne: Cthulhu

Tzeetch is Hastur at least to me.

Unless we're in the Calaxis in which case he's expressed in the avatar of the King in Rags.

Not sure on the other ones.

Is it just me, or is winter the least chaotic of the seasons?

In some places, this may be true. If you live in a place like I do that gets just enough snow to cause problems every few years but not enough for the municipal authorities to be adequately prepared for it, then that's a big 'no'. :)

To the topic at hand, I think Chrysalis' list resonates with me the most.

I tried once to do something similar with Galenic Humorism, but could never find a combination that I was happy with; mainly because Slaanesh was a better fit for Blood than Khorn was and that never sat well with me at all ("Yellow Bile for the Yellow Bile god!" just doesn't have the same ring to it).

Edited by Vorzakk

The four humors of Hippocratic medicine are black bile (Gk. melan chole), yellow bile (Gk. chole), phlegm (Gk. phlegma), and blood (Gk. haima), and each corresponds to one of the traditional four temperaments. A humor is also referred to as a cambium (pl. cambia or cambiums)

Here's the image of how I would look at using the humors. I can't insert the image, as that is not allowed on this forum.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a1/Humorism.svg

• Khorne - HOT
  • Slaneesh - DRY
  • Tzeentch - WET (Tzeentch in Tome of Fate is explicitly mentioned as being related to air and water)
  • Nurgle - COLD

Blood - Sanguine

The sanguine temperament is traditionally associated with air. People with this temperament tend to be lively, sociable, carefree, talkative, and pleasure-seeking. They may be warm-hearted and optimistic. They can make new friends easily, be imaginative and artistic, and often have many ideas. They can be flighty and changeable; thus sanguine personalities may struggle with following tasks all the way through and be chronically late or forgetful.

Pedagogically, they can be best reached through awakening their love for a subject and admiration of people.

Yellow Bile - Choleric

The choleric temperament is traditionally associated with fire. People with this temperament tend to be egocentric and extroverted. They may be excitable, impulsive, and restless, with reserves of aggression, energy, and/or passion, and try to instill that in others.

They tend to be task-oriented people and are focused on getting a job done efficiently; their motto is usually "do it now." They can be ambitious, strong-willed and like to be in charge. They can show leadership, are good at planning, and are often practical and solution-oriented. They appreciate receiving respect and esteem for their work.

Pedagogically, they can be best reached through mutual respect and appropriate challenges that recognize their capacities.

Black Bile - Melancholic

The melancholic temperament is traditionally associated with the element of earth. People with this temperament may appear serious, introverted, cautious or even suspicious. They can become preoccupied with the tragedy and cruelty in the world and are susceptible to depression and moodiness. They may be focused and conscientious. They often prefer to do things themselves, both to meet their own standards and because they are not inherently sociable.

Pedagogically, they can be best met by awakening their sympathy for others and the suffering of the world.

Phlegm - Phlegmatic

The phlegmatic temperament is traditionally associated with water. People with this temperament may be inward and private, thoughtful, reasonable, calm, patient, caring, and tolerant. They tend to have a rich inner life, seek a quiet, peaceful atmosphere, and be content with themselves. They tend to be steadfast, consistent in their habits, and thus steady and faithful friends.

Pedagogically, their interest is often awakened by experiencing others' interest in a subject.

People of this temperament may appear somewhat ponderous or clumsy. Their speech tends to be slow or appear hesitant.

Edited by Chrysalis

Dry, huh? I always figured Slaanesh to be "wet"...

*GF slaps me*

Au mah head....

But on a more constructive note:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FourTemperamentEnsemble

I still find the chaos gods don't line up properly with this (they are chaos after all) I really liked the way you paired them with the seasons tough.

Something like this is actually covered in Tome of Decay, on a planet called The Frozen Heart. The day starts with Khorne smashing the previous towers that Tzeentch built, but such is his bloodlust that his daemons turn upon one another, leaving them as easy prey for Slaanesh to enslave and torture to ever greater heights of depravity. This leaves them vulnerable to all manner of poxes and plagues from Nurgle, until the ground is solidified and built upon by Tzeentch. Repeat ad infinitum.

See while all the rest could fit seasons, I can just see Tzeentch saying "You know, what I'm not going to be a season. So Khorne can stay as summer and all the rest can stay as they are, I'm going to be October because it suits a plan of mine."

And this is why Tzeentch is a jerk. It can't make a decision and keep to it. Why I shall fit it into spring but forget to mention to it which spring and at what time.

Edited by Chrysalis