Pandemic simplicity? or Arkham Horror difficulty?

By chucklepie, in XCOM: The Board Game

Well, to achieve the level of tactical decision making you're talking about, they would need to make (something along the lines of) an Imperial Assault clone for Xcom

Not really. In fact that would be ridiculous and games would take FOREVER. I dont want anything that complex or time consuming added to the game.

I would just like to see players having more choices during combat. Like being able to equip your soldiers with items before they go on a mission or defend the base. They might just be one use items like medkits or grenades but they would help you curb bad luck. Additionally I think each class of soldier should have a unique ability, not just different skill icons. Like supports might be better at using the medkits I mentioned above, etc...

Interceptor combat could be made more interesting by having different types of alien ships with different abilities. And also having at least one more type of interceptor, thats based on UFO tech, and has to be researched.

These are ALL things that can be remedied in an expansion, and I have no doubt they will be, but as of now the game feels incomplete to me.

Khobai this already exists in the game. The entire point/goal of the Research Scientist is to research tech/assets for all four positions. This includes things like alloy cannons, rocket launchers, etc to give to the squad leader.

Every position has more strategic options as more research is completed. How many options they recieve is in and of itself ALSO a strategic choice because the research requires funds.

Khobai this already exists in the game. The entire point/goal of the Research Scientist is to research tech/assets for all four positions. This includes things like alloy cannons, rocket launchers, etc to give to the squad leader.

Its not quite the same thing as what im talking about though. Because using the tech cards isnt really a choice. Like if you have an alloy cannon tech card when would you ever not use it? If its not a choice then its not really tactical.

Its not quite the same thing as what im talking about though. Because using the tech cards isnt really a choice. Like if you have an alloy cannon tech card when would you ever not use it? If its not a choice then its not really tactical.

Of course it's a choice. To use said tech card (alloy cannon) I have to commit an assault to the mission (or base defense). If it's my only assault, it means I won't be able to use him (or the alloy canon) on the other (ie, not on base defense if I took him on the mission.) it may also exclude me from using the Run & Gun ability.

To say nothing of the fact that if I have two assaults, one on a mission, and one defending, I have to make the tactical choice which one uses the alloy cannon--because I only have one.

More than that, it raises the stakes. I used my assault, and his alloy cannon, but now my threat level is high, and the mission still isn't done. Do I risk my assault, or do I leave the mision in place to complete next round with my (now refreshed) alloy cannon.

Just glanced at the posts here, and saw a post about "how its not like the video game".

You are right, its not, and its not supposed to be. There is a video from GenCon from BGG that they check out the game. I'm pretty sure they said its not a tactical shooter (check out Imperial Assault for that) This a resource management. Its meant to be fast paced thinking and you are NOT supposed to achieve every roll of the dice, you are to lose resources. Much like the video game, every death matters, every move you make could hurt.

I have only played the tutorial and did not finish due to time of the night. BUT I like it so far, but was playing it solo, so its alot to take in solo.

I will have to play more to make a final call, but I like games (FFG seems to do it well) where the game seems to kick your rear exit, and you reset and play again.

I will have to play more to make a final call, but I like games (FFG seems to do it well) where the game seems to kick your rear exit, and you reset and play again.

This.

Also, played my first two- and three-man Tutorial games yesterday. In the two-man game we got to the final mission, but panicked countries killed it for us before we could attempt it. In the first 3-man game we ended the turn with 3 countries in Orange. We tried again, and we were getting kick-ass rolls on science and global defense and had a great start, but I had to leave to pick up the wife from class, so we couldn't finish.

Mission Report: Any game that swift-kicks you in the bollocks and yet leaves you wanting to come back for more is an A+ experience in my book.

Played my first game today, solo. I completely messed up the first, exhausting scientists, destroying intercepters, and killing squaddies on the first role. I played correctly the second round, but didn't fix any previous mistakes, so I was out of units by the end of round 2. Round three had ufos piled on two countries and the rest maxed were maxed out through other means. The base was subsequently destroyed before I could input the 5 panicked countries. :P . Hilariously bad rolls and misunderstanding the rules has me wanting to play again right away.

My biggest mistake for my first three games was not realizing that the Central Officer's ability to spend satellites to force UFOs to go where they do the least damage can be used more than once per round. For some reason I had it in my head that it was limit one. I kept wondering why I was using so many more scientists than satellites...

One solo game I was able to save myself from a loss by moving a bunch of UFOs from one country about to Panic to another country that was about to go into panic anyway, so only one hit the Orange instead of 2. I passed the panic check and was able to finish the final mission for the win.

Very useful ability. If nothing else I move UFOs to orbit because I'd rather risk my free satellites before I risk my expensive Interceptors.

Edited by chiller087

Another solo game down, another loss to the alien invaders. It went better this time though, played correctly for all rounds.

I think I'm overcommitting my soldiers. I seem to constantly run out them (read: they die a lot). Perhaps not trying to complete the missions all in one-go. Spread out the tasks across a couple of rounds.

Also, moving the UFOs to orbit seems like a pretty solid strategy. I've gotten more successes with that than with intercepters. Intercepters are also useful for tech and keeping soldiers alive if you get them.

I'm looking forward to my next playthrough already!