Beta Update 8

By FFG_Sam Stewart, in General Discussion

Hi playtesters!

This week's beta update is now live .

Also, please note that there will be no beta update *next* week. We want to give you a couple weeks to try out these updates at your table, and get your feedback in.

Thanks for all your work!

Edited by FFG_Sam Stewart
Fixed Temporal Paradox.

This week's beta update is now live .

Also, please note that there will be no beta update this week.

Um what? :)

As for the changes in this week's update... still going through them, but I've of a mixed opinion on the "yes they can be activated multiple times unless it says otherwise" change. I'll have to read through the various tweaks in greater detail, but I think they were better off with the default being "only activate once" and that if the power or upgrade didn't specify it could be triggered multiple times, than it couldn't.

Unleash certainly got a major boost in power though, even just the basic effect, with the Mastery upgrade being super-nasty now.

Edited by Donovan Morningfire

"Force Power: Move (page 210): Under the Strength upgrade, add the following: “The Force user may activate this multiple times, increasing the size of the objects he can move by this number each time. However, remember the Force user must still spend Force Points to activate the power’s actual effects."

Does this change the behavior? Does it now mean if you've purchased all four Strength upgrades that it costs one Force point per upgrade to increase the size of the objects the Force user can move?

I'd recommend an update to the wording of the upgrade on the chart as well, because the language reads "increase sil- houette able to be targeted equal to Strength upgrades purchased."

Or does the Move Strengh update now mean that you can spend multiple Force points and each one you spend increases the silhouette you can affect by 4?

If so, wouldn't that mean you could be tossing around Death Stars?

Or does the Move Strengh update now mean that you can spend multiple Force points and each one you spend increases the silhouette you can affect by 4?

The Strength Upgrade for Move is now that you can potentially toss around Star Destroyers if you've either bought enough Upgrades or increased your Force Rating high enough to generate multiple Force Points on the power check.

So with three Strength Upgrades and three Force Points spent on activating the Strength Upgrade, you could affect a Silhouette 9 object.

Edited by Donovan Morningfire

The Strength Upgrade for Move is now that you can potentially toss around Star Destroyers if you've either bought enough Upgrades or increased your Force Rating high enough to generate multiple Force Points on the power check.

So if I'd bought all 4 Strength upgrades...

I could potentially spend one Force point to activate the power, and each additional Force point I spent would increase the size of an object I could affect by 4?

So with three Force points generated, I could move an object of silhouette 0 + 4 + 4 = 8 ?

Granted I could only move it from short range to short range, but still.

I generally try and avoid getting involved in these discussions, and won't comment further except to remind people that the "may activate multiple times unless stated otherwise" is the same rule as already exists in Age of Rebellion and Edge of the Empire.

I like the Battle Meditation planetary range Strain upgrade...or maybe that was always there and I didn't notice? (AFB at the moment) Anyway, it fits with the Kotor usage at least.

So with three Force points generated, I could move an object of silhouette 0 + 4 + 4 = 8 ?

That would bug me if so, and I'd have to house rule it away. Moving something bigger than a shuttle should be really hard for anyone, even Yoda struggled to keep a tank from crushing Obiwan in E2.

The Force Unleashed can just go to h3//

I'm still pretty confused as to the wording of all the powers, so if someone can clarify that would be great. Otherwise, seems a lot of the force powers got a nice boost. Now, when it say "This may only be activated once"; you can only activate the ability once per check?

That would bug me if so, and I'd have to house rule it away. Moving something bigger than a shuttle should be really hard for anyone, even Yoda struggled to keep a tank from crushing Obiwan in E2.

The Force Unleashed can just go to h3//

I think it's driving the point that with enough concentration and skill in the force, one could conceivably move anything. Which was Yoda's whole argument with "size matters not". Besides, if a player wanted to feasibly move a star destroyer and crash it on the planet as part of a dramatic scene, I don't see why not. If they come with the expectation that they're going to destroy a whole fleet from the ground regularly, I'm going to be like "lol, NOPE".

GREAT improvements to Battle Meditation. Thank you.

And thanks for the clarification, Move power upgrades (and other upgrades) could already be activated multiple times and this is not a departure from the previous EotE & AoR rulesets.

I love the changes to battle meditation. Adding a planetary scale range upgrade definitely helps recreate some of the scenes in the EU legends.

Edited by kaosoe

spark_by_depingo-d5s8kk8_zpsa57123c3.jpg

:)

Poor girl can't afford a nice blouse? ;)

Seriously, I do like the changes made to the Force powers. I can't wait to have my players try them on for size.

On the whole I like the changes to Force Powers. I'm not sure about the ability to move around Sillhouette 8+ items. If we're interpreting that correctly it seems pretty extreme.

On the whole I like the changes to Force Powers. I'm not sure about the ability to move around Sillhouette 8+ items. If we're interpreting that correctly it seems pretty extreme.

Well, at that point you'd likely be dealing with an opposed check and/or you'd be moving it meters at a time. Easily overpowered by any sizeable ion engines, if you were even able to get within range of the thing so as to use the Force on it.

Edited by awayputurwpn

Pulling down one Star Destroyer? That's so 2008! With these strength upgrades a jedi master with 4 force die has a reasonable chance to pull down four star destroyers ( 1 force point to activate basic, 2 for 4*2 strength upgrades, 1 for magnitude upgrades and one for range upgrades)

Though I love the idea that size matters not and the power to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force. This might even be a bit much for me (and I have never complained about the power level of force users).

Edited by Poseur

The one thing that Im a little confused about with this update, is the "This may only be used once." Is that once per encounter, or once per check? I get the feeling its not once per session because otherwise it would have said that. So for the move power, does it mean you can use it once per action in combat, or once per round of combat? Same thing with the Heal/Harm power? If someone could explain to me the freqency of use now with the update. Or is it the same as before, just changed the wording a little?

The one thing that Im a little confused about with this update, is the "This may only be used once." Is that once per encounter, or once per check?

Once per check. The clarification is so that, for instance, somebody who doesn't have any magnitude upgrades on Move, can't try to use the basic effect of move multiple times in the same action to try and compensate (or alternatively side-step the need to increase difficulty and get necessary advantages/Triumphs to activate auto-fire).

The one thing that Im a little confused about with this update, is the "This may only be used once." Is that once per encounter, or once per check? I get the feeling its not once per session because otherwise it would have said that. So for the move power, does it mean you can use it once per action in combat, or once per round of combat? Same thing with the Heal/Harm power? If someone could explain to me the freqency of use now with the update. Or is it the same as before, just changed the wording a little?

It'd generally be "once per check."

It means once per action.

Some of the powers allow you to spend force points to activate the base power more than once with a single check.

I would like to see some clarification if you can activate heal AND harm in the same action if you generate the necessary pips.

edit - removed superfluous post

Edited by whafrog

I'm glad Unleash is more deadly, but I wish they got rid of some of the range upgrades. That goes for almost every power with range upgrades.